In over my head

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well as usual I am in over my head with this Barracuda, but I have seen worse looking for a project. I guess now I need to decide if this should be a full blown resto or keep it a rolling resto? I had a few surprises while working on my car today.

I knew it was loaded with Bondo and had a hard time understanding why it was so thick in some places. Like the bottom of the drivers door had a few pinholes that could have been fixed easily with a welder, the rear of the door was out of alignment with the body.

But the left rear quarter really took me by surprised. A combination of window screen,roof flashing,and enough Bondo to choke a horse. The lower rear part of the quarter both sides were completely gone. Here are a few pictures.

Before removal

100_2334-600.jpg

After removal

100_2466-600.jpg

100_2467-600.jpg

100_2468-600.jpg

100_2470-600.jpg

100_2472-600.jpg

100_2471-600.jpg

Right rear wheel well

100_2474-600.jpg

My dash was ok I guess. Someone had cut the radio part out for a AM/FM CD player. A small amount of rust not too bad. Can it be fixed with JB Weld?

100_2458-600.jpg

100_2463-600-2.jpg

100_2464-600.jpg

100_2465-600.jpg

Looks like you have your work cut out for you.. My dart was almost that bad on the p/s.. The guy i got it from just screwed a piece of metal to the lower 1/4 panel and then filled it with bondo. Luck I had a parts car to get what I needed off to fix it. Good luck.

I've seen less frosting on a Wally mart wedding cake,...I'd go with the rolling resto,..makes it easier to move around when you have to

Otr your in luck they make sheet metal for 64/65 cudas [i however am screwed not much 66 stuff] you can get lower quarters, front clips[fiberglass] or watch on this site for used sheetmetal or you could do what rodden28 is, all hand formed from flat stock he's doing a 64 cuda in austria, he is a true artist you would be amazed, his car was swisscheese, do a search for his threads on here yours won't look quite as bad after you see what he started with.

Otr your in luck they make sheet metal for 64/65 cudas [i however am screwed not much 66 stuff] you can get lower quarters, front clips[fiberglass] or watch on this site for used sheetmetal or you could do what rodden28 is, all hand formed from flat stock he's doing a 64 cuda in austria, he is a true artist you would be amazed, his car was swisscheese, do a search for his threads on here yours won't look quite as bad after you see what he started with.

I have read his thread,I wish my skill level was that good. I have been looking for parts here not much in the way of what I need here. I have found the sheet metal except for the trunk extension(?)

After looking at your pics I would have to say the other 1/4 panel on the passenger side has just as much mudd in it. It can be fixed good as new with enough time spent.

After looking at your pics I would have to say the other 1/4 panel on the passenger side has just as much mudd in it. It can be fixed good as new with enough time spent.

Oh I agree, but I will have to pay to have it done. I don't have a welder or the skill to do that part of the work.There is mud all the way around the lower part of my car.

What is the best way to get it all out?

That was the first place I looked. Guess I need to go back and check for trunk extension.

It looks like they just have the lower quarter panels & wheel wells. You need a good southern parts car. There are a few out at Richard's in Denton. Can't say that I noticed the condition of the quarters or how much he would charge but it is an option. I will keep my eyes peeled. We are going to Carlisle in July depending on your time frame.

It looks like they just have the lower quarter panels & wheel wells. You need a good southern parts car. There are a few out at Richard's in Denton. Can't say that I noticed the condition of the quarters or how much he would charge but it is an option. I will keep my eyes peeled. We are going to Carlisle in July depending on your time frame.

I have no time frame now I will have to save up for it. Another disabled A body member here. I know where Richards is in Denton hard part is catching him in a good mood and will price things reasonable.

In over your head. Just tread water and eventually you will make it to the shallow end or a member here may jump in to save ya. Good luck with it. Theres a panel glue some use nowadays that might be worth you looking in to if you dont have welding skills.

Just take it one step at a time. That's how the pros do it.....they just do it faster. You already took one step today. You can do it. Them sumbitches that put that car together put their pants on one leg at a time just like you do. They didn't wear no capes.

I am taking my time SS. Tomorrow more of the same cleaning more of the dash and removing more bondo. I wonder if a wire wheel will eat through tha junk?

I am taking my time SS. Tomorrow more of the same cleaning more of the dash and removing more bondo. I wonder if a wire wheel will eat through tha junk?

You gotta air compressor? Soda blastin will take it off. You can get a small siphon type blaster for cheap at Harbor Freight. The pressure blasters even start out at like 59 bucks...they work alot better.

I too had some unexpected surprises with the drivers rear 1/4 on my 66 Dart.I,m close to Toronto Canada and had a complete 1/4 panel with wheelwell and trunk extensions shipped Air-freight to me from Arizona(DVAP).All in all I feel it was worth it,cause there isn,t any parts cars(66 Darts)around my area.Replacement panels were out of the question,cause bondo is needed to make look right after welding.Hopefully you can find a parts car in good shape local to you.Good luck,you can do it!Some pics of my 1/4 panel...s.
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 157.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 132.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 138.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 177.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 208.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 209.jpg

i'm with pettybluedart on this one. if it is not a time pressure issue, just keep going. i guarantee you that eventually you will get there! scouring salvage yards can and, usually will, help immensly. good luck Cliff. and dont give up!! i'm here in King. and can help some if need be.

I too had some unexpected surprises with the drivers rear 1/4 on my 66 Dart.I,m close to Toronto Canada and had a complete 1/4 panel with wheelwell and trunk extensions shipped Air-freight to me from Arizona(DVAP).All in all I feel it was worth it,cause there isn,t any parts cars(66 Darts)around my area.Replacement panels were out of the question,cause bondo is needed to make look right after welding.Hopefully you can find a parts car in good shape local to you.Good luck,you can do it!Some pics of my 1/4 panel...s.
View attachment 221191

View attachment 221192

View attachment 221193

View attachment 221194

View attachment 221195

View attachment 221196

Petty I knew it was bad, not that bad. I'm going to keep working on getting every bit of bondo out of the body and order a few DVD called paintifaction by Kevin Tets to help me with the body work.

i'm with pettybluedart on this one. if it is not a time pressure issue, just keep going. i guarantee you that eventually you will get there! scouring salvage yards can and, usually will, help immensly. good luck Cliff. and dont give up!! i'm here in King. and can help some if need be.

Thanks 68postcar. I know of one junkyard that has a few old mopars in it in Germanton but the last time I was there he didn't have any early A bodies. But plenty of F bodies there so suspension will be easy to get. Thanks for the offer I will be bending your and everyone else ear for answers.

Today is more stripping of the dash and removing bondo. But I think I need to come up with a plan or order of ways to get things done so I don't lose track. This is my first resto and I want to do it right.

Paint stripper will make the mud soft and easier to get off... Good luck , take your time and dont give up...

-
Back