In this week's episode of bore or scrap it.

-
I'm not sure how to get the dipstick tube out without damaging it, but that is definitely an item I want to save along with all the brackets on the front of the engine, it came from a non a/c car.

I'm not sure how to get the dipstick tube out without damaging it, but that is definitely an item I want to save along with all the brackets on the front of the engine, it came from a non a/c car.

Wedge a bolt of the proper size into the top end of the dip stick tube. Then take a vice grip and clamp on tight to that bolted tube. Then rig up a chain around the vice grip and the other end of the chain on a slide hammer and yank that dipstick tube out of the block. It is only pressed fit in.

Nice score on the forged crank, though. One member here has a 1968 318 truck block that the sonic test showed was good for beyond a 4.1 inch bore (.060 over 340 bore). I bet the cylinders used to be pretty thick on the major thrust axis.

Love the new avatar!

To get dipstick tubes out, I have used a drill bit that barely fits into the hole in the interior side of the block. Turn it upside down, and slide the end that you would put in the chuck of a drill in until it hits the bottom of the dipstick tube and stops. Use a piece of wood between the pointy end of the bit so you don't booger up the drill bit hittin it with a hammer. It's not ball joint stud tight, and should ease right out.

I power washed and dried the pistons today. I have no idea how they survived but the whole set looks good to me.

20201005_162651.jpg

20201005_162642.jpg

20201005_162635.jpg

ehhhh.......the skirts don't look great, but I've used worse on bare budget builds.

I am lucky enough to have a nice set of '68 318 9.2:1 pistons too. Hanging on to them for another 318 build coming up.

20201005_192844.jpg

20201005_192826.jpg

So this week's contestant is a revisited stuck slant six from my 70 dodge truck

I had my cousin start knocking the pistons like he did on the 318.

20201005_184456.jpg

20201005_184409.jpg

The crank doesn't look bad. The bearing surfaces are all still good and the chunk of connecting rod turns freely

View attachment 1715606014

Crank is looking good, now you can give it an overnight vinegar dunk. Then polish it up with some WD-40 and a scotch-brite to kill the flash rust after the vinegar dunk and distilled water rinse. Then final polish the journals with some Crocus Cloth and it will be mint.

1223171846.jpg

so what do you guys think, would you send a block to the scrapper if it's the numbers engine to your vehicle??

The 74 318 is the numbers engine to my 74 duster. That block is wasted.

Now the slant six is the numbers engine to the 70 dodge truck but you see it's never going to feel the wind of the open road again.

What a shame. How many slants do you have? I imagine slants are not as plentiful as 318s, as a lot of them just get scrapped. If you don't have an over abundance of them, you might consider a sleeve for it.

I also think maybe you should also pay close attention to the method by which your cousin knocks pistons out.

so what do you guys think, would you send a block to the scrapper if it's the numbers engine to your vehicle??

The 74 318 is the numbers engine to my 74 duster. That block is wasted.

Now the slant six is the numbers engine to the 70 dodge truck but you see it's never going to feel the wind of the open road again.

Either of those can be repaired.

-
Back