increase in posts about putting non-Mopar parts in A-Bodies

-

ringydingydingd

member jr.
Reaction score
seems like the site needs a "DONT ASK DONT TELL" policy about this stuff.

am i the only one who cringes everytime this crap comes up?

(i am referring to the chevy 350's and the ford 9" rears mostly...)

what is the harm? Maybe there should be a mopar parts page and a generic parts page.

i'd say that I meant "no offense" to the posting these questions but i dont care if you are offended if that is what you are doing on FABO.

This is, after all, a MOPAR forum. As in MOPAR.

If you want to mix n' match go to H.A.M.B. or something.

If you want to get specific it is an A Bodies Only site not other Mopars.

what is the harm? Maybe there should be a mopar parts page and a generic parts page.

I think he is talking about putting GM/Ford parts on our Mopars, like when a member suggested that I just put a 9" rear end in my Dart and just forget about it!!!

BTW, my Master Power rear disc brake kit uses T/A rotors and Cadillac calipers!!!

And it is still a good idea at times.....

Scarebird Engineering sells adapter brackets to mount dirt-cheap and common as Hell GM calipers and rotors to our old Mopars. I believe the entire conversion cost as much and a set of original Mopar calipers on an A body.

The Ford 9" is about as bullet proof as our beloved 8 3/4". Again, they are cheap and plentiful with the drop-out center section. Building a drag car? Sensible choice.

Now, when guys start shoe horn-ing 454's into Darts is where my intestines kink...

I think he is talking about putting GM/Ford parts on our Mopars, like when a member suggested that I just put a 9" rear end in my Dart and just forget about it!!!

i see nothing wrong with improving our cars any way we can. if there is a non mopar OD trans that will fit better, work better and be easier then a 518 to get parts for then you would be an idiot not to use it. and to me that goes for most of the parts on my car. only thing i care about keeping chrysler is the motor... i want the best running and driving car i can get. and if that means using ford or gm parts so be it....

I don't think there is much difference between using parts from other manufacturers and using aftermarket parts. If every one of our cars used exclusively Mopar original parts, they would all start to look and perform exactly alike.

All I can say to this mentality is...WHATEVER.

Enjoy the limited aftermarket of mopar parts and in certain cases inferior options that cost more. That's lame! I dont see the wrong in using a GM or ford part if it's available, works, or is a better option for whatever reason.
I'd say, that thinking is win/win unless you're a collector restoring a car to factory spec.

But for someone starting with a bombed out rolling chassis and not much else who wants to build a cool street/race car, it may make a lot of sense for them to use what's available and what works good. This doesnt always mean a mopar part.

Tell the racers on moparts that their big cube smallblock with a chevy rod sucks. Just make sure to cover your nuts before you do it, and please post the vid on youtube.

Don't get me wrong here, but I think being resourceful with more options, as well as being able to share those options without being persecuted will only advance the hobby.

If you can make a repair or improve the perfromance of your car by using a part from another manufacturer that is easier to come buy or is less expensive then I say go for it.

Many of the parts on our mopars were not made by mopar, they were made suppliers that supplied parts to all three of the OEMs.

Early in my engineering career I worked for an oufitt that made ignition switches, wiper switches, light switches, thermostats and transmission coolers for GM, Ford and Chrysler. These items were not designed by the OEM, they provided a specification and we designed the item. They may have looked different on the outside but internally they were as similiar as we could make them to save on manufacturing costs. I would have a hard time thinking the Mopar item was any better than the GM equivalent.

If you can make a repair or improve the perfromance of your car by using a part from another manufacturer that is easier to come buy or is less expensive then I say go for it.

Many of the parts on our mopars were not made by mopar, they were made suppliers that supplied parts to all three of the OEMs.

Early in my engineering career I worked for an oufitt that made ignition switches, wiper switches, light switches, thermostats and transmission coolers for GM, Ford and Chrysler. These items were not designed by the OEM, they provided a specification and we designed the item. They may have looked different on the outside but internally they were as similiar as we could make them to save on manufacturing costs. I would have a hard time thinking the Mopar item was any better than the GM equivalent.

That's right...hell, look around at the cars offered today...looks almost as if ONE place makes all the wheels for them.

My current project is a carbed magnum engine in a late model dakota.
As against the grain as can be. Why? Why not? It's still sort of a free country, right? hehe
NONE of the roller rocker arms for these are mopar. They are chevy rockers.:read2:

I'm in a situation where a lot of what I have to accomplish relies on parts from other makers to get it done be they custom parts, or parts from other big3 manufacturers. So what? Thank god I have options, or I'd be screwed.:angry7:

When I get my cuda late this year (yep that's why I'm here), I will also be using whatever works best. If this is a GM or ford part, I'll take it!

Damn, I just put some Moog parts on my front suspension...
And, I hate to say it, but I fabricated the exhaust hanger bracket (for duals) from a piece of an old washing machine. It was a very close match to the original, and at first glance you would be pressed to tell which was original and which was the GE. This from another FABO member who knows his stuff!
C

In my opinion if you a take a brand x part, bolt it into your Mopar, and it works, then it becomes a Mopar part. Ignition, brakes, alternators, rears, why not?

For instance: using the 1.75 Chevy inline six rockers arms on my Ford 300 inline gives me a world of opportunities in that they work, will clear the valve cover, and aren't outrageously expensive. Plus I can take that into consideration when I make my cam choice.

The hot set up in ignition for the Ford is using a Chrysler box instead of the Duraspark.

The same truck will be using a Chrysler sourced NV4500 trans. It offers what I want in a tranny for a F250: granny low and the overdrive, plus it's more reliable than the ZF.

Why the "different" parts in my truck? Because I want to use the best parts I can find for my build, which offer me the best bang for the buck, and the best reliability down the line.

Damn, I just put some Moog parts on my front suspension...
And, I hate to say it, but I fabricated the exhaust hanger bracket (for duals) from a piece of an old washing machine. It was a very close match to the original, and at first glance you would be pressed to tell which was original and which was the GE. This from another FABO member who knows his stuff!
C

HAHA!!!!!!

Now you are the man!

wow some of us are a little grumpy this sunday morning aint we!! just wanted to put my two cents worth in here - the greatest interchanging of parts that i have ever seen was at monster mopar in st louis a few years back. a guy had a late 70s early 80s camero in the car show down there - i seen it and im like what the hell is this thing doing here!! i took a closer look and it had a 440 in it!! how cool is that!!

hey would you look at that - i finally made it to 100 posts!! Yee-Haw for me!!!!

Chrysler bought tilt steering columns from GM in the 70s and some of the 360 cranks were forged by GM ,but I would never put a 350 chevy in any Mopar.

I like all cars. Why wouldn't I put what works and what I can afford on my car?

Like said above, I have the Scarebird disc brake conversion. My drums were on there last leg, and instead of buying a after market disc kit for $1000+ or rebuilding 73+ brakes I now have GM brakes on my car for less than $300. I don't see anything wrong with it. I also have a GM alternator on my car because of the one wire hook up and its smaller. I doesn't make my Barracuda a Nova.

I've bought what I can afford, I don't have a endless amount of money to spend on my car, and GM and some Ford parts are cheaper.

Nope, I think we're good.

Yup, I think you pretty much are.

If you want to mix n' match go to H.A.M.B. or something.

If certain posts make you cringe, don't read them. If too many posts on here make you cringe, go elsewhere. Looks to me as if the problem's on your end, bud.

Rut row I'm " guilty as charged " used s camaro hood to make the floorpans for my "waggin" chevy305 exhaust manifolds to make my true duals for the slanty but the rest is all mopar

I could be wrong, but i think he is referring to ads like "Whats my 327 Impala worth" Or selling a "Government Motors power train" In that case I agree they're sights for those type ads that you can get a better reply from then FABO. Of course I might be 100% wrong on this one.

I could be wrong, but i think he is referring to ads like "Whats my 327 Impala worth" Or selling a "Government Motors power train" In that case I agree they're sights for those type ads that you can get a better reply from then FABO. Of course I might be 100% wrong on this one.
i agree 100% with that

not the first time i have been accused of having an extreme point of view on something.

probably wont be the last.

i have no issue with people enjoying their cars however they like.
i know all about wanting to have an a-body which is a performer.
it's really the questions about chevy 350 engine swaps and 9" ford rear ends.
just seems to me there are enough 318's and 8 3/4's out there to be had...

since dont have anyone agreeing with my p.o.v. i will just change the channel when i see the Ford or Chevy stuff come up. no more grinding my teeth.

thanks for taking the time to let me know that my opinion is not shared.

to each their own.

-
Back