Individual wheel weight scales.

-

33IMP

Reaction score
Does any one here have them? If so, what brand and are you happy with them?
One of the things i am most curious about with our cars is the weight i would love to have a set of scales, but i dont know if my curiosity is worth $700, the most inexpensive i can find. I have lots of cars i would like to know the weight of that are my own, but i wonder if i could weigh other peoples to recoup some of the price. Do you have scales , and do you do other peoples cars?

Does any one here have them? If so, what brand and are you happy with them?
One of the things i am most curious about with our cars is the weight i would love to have a set of scales, but i dont know if my curiosity is worth $700, the most inexpensive i can find. I have lots of cars i would like to know the weight of that are my own, but i wonder if i could weigh other peoples to recoup some of the price. Do you have scales , and do you do other peoples cars?
Sorry, but Huh?

Individual wheel scales not wheel weight scales! Stock car stuff.

I have a friend who has a set. He sets up a lot of dirt cars and some drag cars with them. I'll find out what brand they are. I know he like them though. I like the idea of the individual scales because you can really zoom in in specifics relocating weight for various different uses of the car.

If you want to do it once just to see how much your car weighs overall you could try truck stops or recycling centers. What you're looking at are a must for setting up corner weights for race cars. I've been looking for a reasonably priced set so I can set the suspension on my Viper ACR for track days but they are about $700 for the cheap ones...

No thanks , thats about a dollar for each fifty pounds of inaccuracy. Race track scales said my road runner was 3710, truck stop said it was 4500.

Again unless you're setting up corner weight just go to the track and weigh it then. Unless money is no object...but then you wouldn't be posting asking for info on the cheaper scales.

One track doesnt have scales available, always locked up, the other track doesnt have any scales at all. And i dont trust truck scales. I want a weight within a few pounds, not a few hundred.
(That road runner weight was over thirty years ago, at riverside intl raceway. Their scales were always available).

You really only need 1 scale. Weigh each wheel seperately. The combination the 4 weights will be the total weight of the car.

With the correct cantileivers you could even use a bathroom scale. (Dimensions are for example, but would work)
IMG_20200901_193606.jpg

You really only need 1 scale. Weigh each wheel seperately. The combination the 4 weights will be the total weight of the car.

With the correct cantileivers you could even use a bathroom scale. (Dimensions are for example, but would work)
View attachment 1715588362
I did that too. I had access to an industrial beam scale that could weigh up to 1000 lbs, so I built three platforms the same height as the scale for the other three wheels.
Trouble is, I don't have access to the scale any more, the company I worked for folded, and I retired.

I did that too. I had access to an industrial beam scale that could weigh up to 1000 lbs, so I built three platforms the same height as the scale for the other three wheels.
Trouble is, I don't have access to the scale any more, the company I worked for folded, and I retired.

I’ve used several different brands. Intercom and Longacre. I forget the other one.

The biggest difference was the one I can’t remember was the older of the three, and you had to write down the numbers. The other two had printers IIRC. Haven’t used corner scales since 2007.

They are worth every penny. One thing you can do to offset the cost is scale local cars. The issue is going to be teaching the value in corner scaling. You’ve already seen the posts saying use truck scales, which are inaccurate at car weights and you can corner scale with them.

LOL...that’s not stock car stuff. Every drag car should be corner scaled at least once a year, and any time something changes.
Ya no ****. That's why I said stock car. They change stuff all the time. The dirt trackers are always wadding stuff up.

Ya no ****. That's why I said stock car. They change stuff all the time. The dirt trackers are always wadding stuff up.

You’d be surprised how many drag cars, or even street/strip cars have bent shocks, bound up suspension parts and other stuff that goes uncorrected because they don’t scale.

I always hoped the drag guys would scale more like the stock car guys, but they don’t. The can’t see the value in it. I forgot to mention springs that have gone soft. It’s usually the right rear spring that gets it first.

Stuff like that affects hook, RT and driveability. But it is largely ignored by the masses.

You’d be surprised how many drag cars, or even street/strip cars have bent shocks, bound up suspension parts and other stuff that goes uncorrected because they don’t scale.

I always hoped the drag guys would scale more like the stock car guys, but they don’t. The can’t see the value in it. I forgot to mention springs that have gone soft. It’s usually the right rear spring that gets it first.

Stuff like that affects hook, RT and driveability. But it is largely ignored by the masses.
Agreed. I bet most of the local drag cars have never seen a scale. As long as they hook and go fairly straight. LOL

I have a friend who dirt track races who has a set of Longacre scales. He has his calibrated every year for accuracy. As a courtesy, we scale my car at least twice a year or whenever I make any changes that may affect the weight bias. The first time we scaled my car, it 625 on each corner, I chalk that up to pure dumb luck.

I’ve used several different brands. Intercom and Longacre. I forget the other one.

The biggest difference was the one I can’t remember was the older of the three, and you had to write down the numbers. The other two had printers IIRC. Haven’t used corner scales since 2007.

They are worth every penny. One thing you can do to offset the cost is scale local cars. The issue is going to be teaching the value in corner scaling. You’ve already seen the posts saying use truck scales, which are inaccurate at car weights and you can corner scale with them.
The wired proform for $700 were the ones I was looking at, a few hundred less than intercom and longacre. I'm retired, but I still can use a pencil, and I think I can find some paper around here, somewhere ......

Sorry it took so long. My friend uses a set from Longacre. He said he got them sometime in the early 90s so they are an older model but they work good. They were the cheapest ones at the time. He said he thought they were still the same ones Summit sells that are a tick over a grand.

-
Back