Indoor Drag Racing

-
Dammit man!! I knew we could have found a much better use for the Lorain Ford Assembly Plant. Pretty much all they've done is dissassemble it and scrap the metal structure bit by bit. It would have been awesome for this!! Thx for sharing.

:steering::steering:

We came so close to having an indoor drag strip in pittsburgh that it wasn’t funny. During my younger more active drinking days I was at my local watering hole and took up a conversation with a stranger when he saw one of the many racing shirts I always wore. He was the engineer involved in a brand new indoor drag strip at the old pittsburgh international airport. This structure was big enough for 1/8 mile drag racing but was also designed around shows big enough to have plane and jet trade shows and conventions. The exhaust system along side the track was designed of course to lower the fumes but also the noise. The first design was turned down because of the poles holding the roof up. The issue was they wanted tv contracts and the cameras would go out of focus as they filmed the race going down the track. They addressed that issue and were ready to make the move and the money man up and died. Boom dead project. His next project was the Peterman event center where Pitt basketball is played. It wouldn’t have been a good tow for me because it’s on the other side of Pittsburgh but I’m sure I would have had to go.

That's badass. I wonder who was the first one to look at that and think "man, we could have drag races in here!"

No fumes but noisey. Saw my first tractor pull there. Very few people, sat middle of the track and about ten rows up. Was great till one of the engines blew, felt like someone punched you in the chest with a 50 gallon drum. Also saw Rush there in concert, and lots of car shows.

poster by car at a show

S1050509.JPG

That's the fun part.
I remember as a kid going to the super bowl of motocross at the silver dome in pontiac michigan, when it was still there and oh my god, you couldn't even see the riders after a while l o l I could only imagine in a low ceiling place like that..

I’ve been to motocross, monster trucks, pulling tractors and trucks, and mud drags in the old Civic Arena in pittsburgh. The tractors prepping the track stunk up the air more than the race vehicles.

-
Back