Indy/RHS heads on SB strokers

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
We know the new Indy/RHS heads are larger than the std Mopar heads of the past, 894, 915, 576 and so on. But they are smaller than the W2 series heads. I feel the new Indy/RHS heads are an excellent replacement for the older std castings on the 340 and 360 engines. I believe that is what they were mostly aimed at. Larger but not too large for the 340 and 360 engines. But..are they large enough for the stroker motors we are putting together ? I have seen the dyno numbers for stroker motors with these new castings, and they are impressive, but, ..are they enough for these larger small blocks. W2's might be a better choice, but much more expensive , for very high output engines. What say you ?

Terry

I think, and have gone on record saying, they are barely enough if you want to make big power and expect future growth. In unported form I agree with you, they are perfect for most any 340/360 or even built 318 package, and they are very affordable compared to properly redoing a set of used iron to a level I consider "done right". But in order to get more from them, it takes more cash. I believe once you start spending to port them and upgrade the rockers for "the next level" cost vs benefit points more to other LA based heads (RPMs, specifically). The W series heads represent what I'd call two steps up from the RHS heads. Lots of potential with porting, and lots of cash to get working on an engine regardless of porting, but, they can reach that high potential. The RHS heads IMO simply run out of port because of the magnum pushrod pinch and the cost to address that makes the other offerings give more bang for the buck.

If you want something that works in the 550+ range, they probably aren't the best choice. There have been discussions about how to get them into a favorable configuration to exceed the 600hp mark. The way Brian at IMM does them with a 2.02 OOTB and beehives, they're pretty good on a stroker to the 530ish level. If 520-530, before porting, isn't enough for a stroker SB, you need to look elsewhere.

Ede's die at about 600hp in fully ported configurations. Cost is roughly 2x just for the heads than RHS head that IMM does before rocker gear etc.

If you want more than 600hp, W series and Indy are a better choice.

Anything that makes decent power, solid rollers, isn't going to be able to use cheap rocker gear IMO. Jesel, t&d, etc...

So get out the checkbook $$$.

I'm going to follow along with this. I have X heads on my 340/416 and was thinking the RHS would be a good upgrade. I have the KB 745 step dish pistons and it seems they would work well with the closed chamber design.

I have w2 heads and I wouldnt switch to the rhs heads

not enough potential to my idea for the cost

prefer eddy can get as much or close for cfm

and are aluminum so can put alittle

more compression with les pinging problem

my 2 cents

I'm going to follow along with this. I have X heads on my 340/416 and was thinking the RHS would be a good upgrade. I have the KB 745 step dish pistons and it seems they would work well with the closed chamber design.

You have a pair of closed chamber 894 heads?

his reference to close chamber head is to the RHS heads...

416 in a 3,100# Duster here. 12.2:1, solid flat tappet cam, Victor intake, 800 Holley, 904 w/8" converter, 4.56's and a 29.5 tall slick, leafs and Cal Tracs. Oh, and RHS 2.02 heads.

We have 6 runs on the car and have went 10.33 @ 131 through the muffs. More to come soon...

No, they aren't the head for a normally asperated 650-700 HP all out deal, but for the money and the RIGHT application, they cannot be beat. Hands down the best bang-for-the-buck small block head out there! (Well, EQ's aren't too shabby either...I'll save that for another post when we're done with them.)

Do a search for Brian's (OU812) PUMP GAS, RHS-head 410.

I'd rather spray iron into the chambers of my old heads if a closed chamber was the ticket.

w2 heads piss on both eddys and rhs heads, but for the money, rhs beats the eddys.

btw eddys are not the perfect port volume match for 416-420+cid sb's.

oh, and who hear is making 520-530hp with ootb rhs heads??

Not sure,, if your heads have nice valves and have been ported and the springs match the cam why bother, has NE1 ever tested the Hp difference back to back on a warm 340/360 with say a rebuilt set of j's with good valves and a mild port, then bolted on the RHS?

Yeah, OOTB they flow 260's cfm....there's a big waste of money!! LOL!!
Brian

Thats your oppinion..

Who cares about OOTB....rhs,edelbrocks do not have the flow potential of worked 360-1's.by the way when you receive any head's they come out of a box :-D:-D

Thats your oppinion..

Who cares about OOTB....rhs,edelbrocks do not have the flow potential of worked 360-1's.by the way when you receive any head's they come out of a box :-D:-D

I will refrain from having anything to do with screwing up this thread. Sorry to the OP...
Maybe just research your options before you buy anything!

I'm with Brian. Price vs power is rhs all the way. If you can afford to do 360-1s the right way, more power to you. Im a cheap bastard so the rhs heads look great for the most performance-for-the-penny deal.

It appears to me that the RHS head is to Chryslers as the Dart head has been to SBC. A great budget iron head, bolt it on make 5 hundo or so and have a nice day!

I'll refrain from saying anything nasty but if the person who started this thread wants to know about small block heads give Ryan j. at shadydell speed shop a call,he's the "best" in the business when it come to small block heads..period!!!

-
Back