INDY RHS heads

-

DSMRossi

Reaction score
Guys, looking to clear up a little confusion.

I bought a set of IMM’s reworked indy’s to put on my LA 360. I understand they use the magnum style valvetrain. The obvious changes will be a longer set of oil-through pushrods and the magnum rockers.

I did see a few things on th Hughes article. They stated that the rocker studs will need a low-profile hex nut or the rockers will rub, and also that the push rod geometry will be off to the point that my pushrods will hit the pushrod bores.

Anybody running the Indy heads have the same issues as described as the factory magnums?

Last edited:
The Indy heads are available to be used with either LA or Magnum style rocker gear, and will use the corresponding intake manifold and valve covers.
LAX - LA style
MAX - Magnum style

The EQ heads are only available to use Magnum rocker gear, but are available to fit either Magnum or LA intake manifolds.

The Indy heads are available to be used with either LA or Magnum style rocker gear, and will use the corresponding intake manifold and valve covers.
LAX - LA style
MAX - Magnum style

The EQ heads are only available to use Magnum rocker gear, but are available to fit either Magnum or LA intake manifolds.

Hmmm Brian told me the LA intake would work but I would need magnum rockers. I’ll have to see when they come in this week

LAX - LA style
MAX - Magnum style

I heard Brian ran out of the LA heads?
Are they still making them?

That would make sense, the LA manifold will still fit?
On the engine quest heads, you can choose two options of course intake manifolds, LA or Magnum.

I don’t own a Magnum version of the RHS INDY Head, so I don’t know for sure-I doubt it, but you would have to verify. If Brian said you need magnum rockers, and the LA intake fits, I would take his word as GOLD.

BUT the Chinese air gap intake bolts down to either cylinder platform choice. Those run around $200 and are available super shiny polished/baked powder coat.

He better still be making them because he is making me a set of LA-X heads and hoping to send them out this Monday!

Jeff

Last edited:
Hold the phone...... I have been looking for LA-X heads for a few months now. I have not found any... called 3 suppliers 3 months back, including Indy and Hughes, and they reported that they were waiting on the LA-X castings, with NO timetable set for availability.

If Hughes is still showing them as 'no known ETA', then I would conclude that they are still not available. So IMM is probably selling the only version they can get right now.... but the above post is intriguing. Maybe you ought to give them another call, jeffnmo; let us know what you find out.

I have also noticed that Edelbrock is not showing stock on their standard SBM 63 cc heads with springs loaded for HFT's (PN 60779) on their website, and has shown them 'out of stock' for some time. Not sure what that is all about.....some distributors still show them in stock.

Hold the phone...... I have been looking for LA-X heads for a few months now. I have not found any... called 3 suppliers 3 months back, including Indy and Hughes, and they reported that they were waiting on the LA-X castings, with NO timetable set for availability.

If Hughes is still showing them as 'no known ETA', then I would conclude that they are still not available. So IMM is probably selling the only version they can get right now.... but the above post is intriguing. Maybe you ought to give them another call, jeffnmo; let us know what you find out.

I have also noticed that Edelbrock is not showing stock on their standard SBM 63 cc heads with springs loaded for HFT's (PN 60779) on their website, and has shown them 'out of stock' for some time. Not sure what that is all about.....some distributors still show them in stock.
Hmm well I believe mine will be here today so I’ll give Brian a call and see what’s up if that’s the case. Sucks to lose the shaft rocker setup and have to swap intakes IMO just for simplicity.

I've been talking to Brian for the last couple of weeks and unless we had a communication malfunction he is setting me up with the LA-X heads. I will let you know when he calls me to tell me he is shipping them, hopefully today.

Jeff

Last edited:

That's a bit concerning, I hope they don't stop making heads with LA intake bolt pattern until there are as many intake choices for Magnums as LAs. Which doesn't look like it's happening...

WAY better heads out there anyways. At least I know I can put these heads on out of the box with out any worries, unlike some that we all know. For my needs these heads fit the bill perfectly and if I decide later to go faster they can be ported by IMM who I am very confident in, some people run 10s and faster with them, My Dart is all street and when I'm done I hope to be able to run low 12s high 11s, And yes I like iron!

Jeff

Last edited:
WAY better heads out there anyways. At least I know I can put these heads on out of the box with out any worries, unlike some that we all know. For my needs these heads fit the bill perfectly and if I decide later to go faster they can be ported by IMM who I am very confident in, some people run 10s and faster with them, My Dart is all street and when I'm done I hope to be able to run low 12s high 11s, And yes I like iron!

Jeff
Your goal is achievable with what you have as is.

WAY better is dependent on what you're doing.. a W series head would be a bit of overkill for some jobs! LOL I was looking at some where a 1.92" intake valve would be an advantage.

The cost of most heads has dropped.You can buy a lighter weight head that
Flows the same and more for the same or less money. Rhs is NOT the smokin deal or go to head anymore, its campfire talk.
Btw 10.81 ...stock class , j heads...71 duster. Go watch them at pamona sometime. Its 2019...10's are almost the new 12's.

WAY better is dependent on what you're doing.. a W series head would be a bit of overkill for some jobs! LOL I was looking at some where a 1.92" intake valve would be an advantage.
I have set, they weigh a TON and arent a 300 cfm head...they are an edelbrock in heavier form...they need work...which is why one guy is knowm for them. He wanted to find his place...there ya go, heavy 270 cfm heads is your place. Revel now in mediocrity

The cost of most heads has dropped.You can buy a lighter weight head that
Flows the same and more for the same or less money. Rhs is NOT the smokin deal or go to head anymore, its campfire talk.
Btw 10.81 ...stock class , j heads...71 duster. Go watch them at pamona sometime. Its 2019...10's are almost the new 12's.
These cars are far from stock and I would suspect none are ever driven in. It's impressive what they run within the class rules.

These cars are far from stock and I would suspect none are ever driven in. It's impressive what they run within the class rules.

5 something gears, lightened a hair, big convertor, stock class cam 340 degrees or soemthing duration....and heads that are thee most perfect factory castings with thee best 3 valve seat angles ,no sunk valves , even seats to make them proud in the low lift, port volume as advertised...rocker ratio dialed to 1.5 as advertised...., true 10.5 comp, ..thermoquads dialed.........and more importantly...or just as, suspension dialed riding on "big slicks, daddy"

I have set, they weigh a TON and arent a 300 cfm head...they are an edelbrock in heavier form...they need work...which is why one guy is knowm for them. He wanted to find his place...there ya go, heavy 270 cfm heads is your place. Revel now in mediocrity
Hating on guys who like the iron heads (quality iron heads) is a very distasteful look...

I ran Hughes rockers and hold down kit on my EQ heads. No problems. Your magnum style head was most likely drilled to accept a LA or magnum Intake. If I’m not mistaken, EQ and RHs heads come in either Shaft mount or pedestal rockers and you run the respective intake, unless it’s dual-drilled and tapped, which is common too

-
Back