inherited dodge dart swinger

-

TomM

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've recently inherited a Dodge Dart Swinger '71. It has a tired 318 that I'd like to put a newer engine in but convert to carb. I'll probably need a lot of help. I'm more of a maintainer than a builder.
Tom

Welcome @TomM You've come to the right place! Lots of good people and info here. Post more info about your car (and pics) and tell us what you plan on doing to it?

1000003549.jpg

Looks like you might have a "spring special" there. It was an option that usually came with A/C, vinyl roof, rim blow steering wheel, those rocker moldings that have a slight bend towards the rear as well as blacked out below the molding along with some hood lip moldings IIRC. If you have the fender tag and I'm correct it will be on it (A 42 ??) or something similar. Just an observation from your picture. More pictures would be awesome. Nice car and good luck with it.

What's wrong with the 318?

They can be great, reliable, reasonably economical, and reasonably powerful engines for a nice period cruiser.

What's wrong with the 318?

They can be great, reliable, reasonably economical, and reasonably powerful engines for a nice period cruiser.
Low on compression on a few cylinders, haven't personally done a compression check yet

magnumswaps.com

Has info on swapping in a '97-02 5.2 (318) or 5.9 (360).

leaving it stock is about a 100 HP gain.

Welcome Tom, that’s one of my favorite mopar colors. Nice start to your project.

Welcome to the site from another Swinger owner with a 318. Hey, mine is a 70 but B5with a black vinyl top as well.

4-12-18 105.jpg

Hello all,
I've recently inherited a Dodge Dart Swinger '71. It has a tired 318 that I'd like to put a newer engine in but convert to carb. I'll probably need a lot of help. I'm more of a maintainer than a builder.
Tom
newer engine as in what? modern hemi? big job and can be pricey too. why not redo the 318 or stick a nice running 360 in it. being its already got a small block in it would make it the cheapest route.

From some research, they sold the "LA" style motor up until 2002-ish. I was thinking of using a truck motor 5.7l.

Straight swap is easier than a build if you are in a hurry. Also if you want to build the original engine do it while you are driving the car with the swapped engine in it so you aren't in a hurry if its your first build...that way you enjoy the car while figuring out what you want to do with the 318 and the car doesn't sit...having 2 running engines is a part of the hobby don't ask me why...:).

Welcome from WI. Looks like a great start to a project. More pics please

-
Back