Inner rust

-

shep76

Reaction score
I had some rust behind the door. I cut it out but the inner structure is damaged. Any advice on this? I was thinking of welding an 18 gauge plate to help reinforce it but I’m not sure if that will give me room to put on my patch panel. What is this area called, frame? Or inner rocker?

IMG_2535.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

Outer rocker from front fender to door tapers in to form an inner rocker at rear of door and 1/4 panel sits over top with a gap to let water drain. I have seen ppl cut that out form new metal and weld it in.

Looks like a lot of mud on the 1/4 panel. I would remove all of it first, before you do any patch work. There could be a complete panel replacement in your future, sorry to say.

Outer rocker from front fender to door tapers in to form an inner rocker at rear of door and 1/4 panel sits over top with a gap to let water drain. I have seen ppl cut that out form new metal and weld it in.
So you are saying that if I were to buy the outer rocker that piece that is rusted in my picture would actually be part of that? I've been searching for some pics online but couldn't find anything clear. Thank you.

Looks like a lot of mud on the 1/4 panel. I would remove all of it first, before you do any patch work. There could be a complete panel replacement in your future, sorry to say.
Yeah... I want to go black on this car so it may really be the best course of action. I'm not very good and fixing body line damage. I was hoping to avoid it but thats how it goes I guess.

So you are saying that if I were to buy the outer rocker that piece that is rusted in my picture would actually be part of that? I've been searching for some pics online but couldn't find anything clear. Thank you.
Yes the outer rocker goes from front wheel well all the way to rear wheel opening. It tapers in after door so 1/4 panel can lay over top of it. AMD sells reproduction outer rockers full length.

Its really best replace entire 1/4 to address outer wheel well and trunk drop down rust which is likely there. I panel bond all the lower seems when I put new panel on to keep moisture out

No hill for a climber. Weld new steel in where you see fit.

Finish coat mud > then all better. Seal and Undercoat.

Like this:

Screenshot_20200712-020702_Gallery.jpg

Oh yeah, that has been all rebuilt to perfection. All original body panels on that '67.

Braggin' Rights.....

☆☆☆☆☆

I like the rear of the wheel opening on the '67. Makes me wish they made the wheel wells larger in the front of the A's to accomodate a full radius opening in the front.

Its really best replace entire 1/4 to address outer wheel well and trunk drop down rust which is likely there. I panel bond all the lower seems when I put new panel on to keep moisture out
I wonder why mine collected so much water in there. Likely through the window I would think but I'm assuming there should be some kind of weep hole... I'lll have to take a closer look. Maybe they clogged it when they did the body work.

I wonder why mine collected so much water in there. Likely through the window I would think but I'm assuming there should be some kind of weep hole... I'lll have to take a closer look. Maybe they clogged it when they did the body work.
dirt, leaves, debris gets in between the window and 1/4 panel collects in there and clogs the drains. There is supposed to be a gap between the inner panel and the 1/4 panel so water that gets in around window can drain down and out. There are supposed to be drains all along the rocker panels front to back but a lot of times they get rusted, bent, clogged etc.

I really haven’t figured this car out yet. It’s covered it body filler 1/16” all over…. It’s got the top trim but also has holes like it had the middle trim. I’ve looked through picture after picture and haven’t seen any other darts with both a top and bottom trim. It’s a GT according to the vin. Will the fender tag say what trim it came with?

IMG_2542.jpeg

I answered one of questions, the tag has M33 for the body side moldings. Whoever ordered this car really liked moldings!

No hill for a climber. Weld new steel in where you see fit.

Finish coat mud > then all better. Seal and Undercoat.

Like this:

View attachment 1716204346

Oh yeah, that has been all rebuilt to perfection. All original body panels on that '67.

Braggin' Rights.....

☆☆☆☆☆
I know how to sharpen convex body lines with tape. How did you sharpen the concave line? The concave line that runs about 1.5" under the body line? The body line in front of my wheel well is beat to crap and the concave section has almost been wiped out. There isn't much access to the back side.... some, but fairly limited.

-
Back