Inside rear deck of duster

-

amcervantes

Reaction score
Ok I've searched and cant find what I'm looking for. The rear package tray where some people have speakers mine curves and has no speakers. Is there something else that goes there that the upper seat cushion mounts to. if you could post pics it would be helpful.
Thanks

Sounds like yours originally came with a fold down rear seat. Is the a cross brace between the trunk and the back of the rear seat, or is there a fold down partition?

First pic is the crossbracing. Second is a pic of the fold down rear seat.

Attachments

• clip002.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 246
  • clip003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 259
  • clip005.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 249
  • clip006.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 267
I agree, sounds like you have a fold down seat car. Nothing goes there, the seat back is held in place by latches on the wheel tubs. You can see that set up in the pictures above.

If your package tray looks like this one, you have a fold down seat car. Nevermind the notes, I borrowed this picture from the thread on converting my standard car to a fold down seat.

ScreenShot2012-11-23at80840PM_zpsae2ce8e5.png

My thread is here. Probably not useful as a conversion thread for you, but there's a lot of pictures of both standard and fold down components, if you don't have everything already.

thanks for the pics I've verified its was a fold down back seat till someone hacked it to pieces. how hard would it be to convert it to a regular back seat and where could I get the rear package tray. Or just a fold down package tray.
Thanks

What damage has been done to yours? Any pictures?

As you can see in the pictures, changing the entire package tray is not the easiest thing to do. It's sandwiched between pretty much all of the inner support structures for the roof and quarters.

And they aren't reproduced that I'm aware of, so you would need a donor car to replace the package tray regardless of which direction you decided to go in. Other than the package tray, the conversion in either direction isn't that hard, but some welding would be required. Changing the package tray itself though is some work, not an easy job. Which is why I left mine alone even when I converted my car to the fold down seat. Also, there's a VIN # stamped on the package tray.

You might try this member, he's had this package tray and pieces for sale for awhile. Doesn't look like its sold...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174977

Another question is I have a 72 dart im tearing apart. I know the trays are not the same but the front part of the tray is the same as dusters with regular back seats. Could I cut it out and cut the fold down seat tray to match the dart tray and weld those together or would that not work or would that be crazy.

Im currently fighting with mine as well. Here are a few pictures on my Members Restoration picture link.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1036...ms/5984189745400238865?authkey=COS3-cDT9aT0fw

Towards the end, youll see the rear deck.

My late father in law purchased a "DST-101" reproduction piece, THEY DO REPRODUCE THESE!! caveat - they didnt fit.

https://www.herbsparts.com/products.asp?cat=755

I believe the correct panel for our car would have been the DST-102, but I just fabbed my own with some board from Home Depot for $14, a jigsaw, and $10 of gold-colored burlap and fabric spray adhesive.

Good luck - I am much happier with my fabbed piece that the repro- mine actually fits (repro was 1" too wide), and the burlap is nice and tight, and conceals the infinity 3way's completely, which is why I had to replace the thing in the first place: attempted theft of the 6x9s.

Another question is I have a 72 dart im tearing apart. I know the trays are not the same but the front part of the tray is the same as dusters with regular back seats. Could I cut it out and cut the fold down seat tray to match the dart tray and weld those together or would that not work or would that be crazy.

You could do it, but I'm not sure that would be the easiest thing to do. It's not crazy, but that would be a lot of welding to do.

Why do you want to get rid of the fold down seat/package tray? I know you said it was "hacked up", but a couple of pictures would go a long way for us to understand what you're dealing with. If we know what you need to fix, it'll be a lot easier to decide how "crazy" it would be to section and weld in another package tray.

Maybe I'm just partial to the fold down seat. Comes in super handy, I hauled a set of Duster doors home in my Duster a few days ago. Would have been a lot harder without the fold down. But I have a lot of projects, so I do haul a lot of parts.

-
Back