Installed new pistol grip

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to try something different on my Hurst V-Gate. Was using a good ‘ol t-handle but I just can’t leave well enough alone so I started searching for pistol grip handles. The V-Gate is a little different because you can’t swap out the handle to use a real pistol grip so I had to find one that would just thread on the current stick.
I got one with a button on top that I have wired to both my 2-step and line lock.
Haven’t tried it out yet but just sitting in the car it is very comfortable. It comes very close to the dash in first gear but I don’t plan to be banging first anyway.

B9EAFC49-3F69-40E8-B330-85DE6F57AA70.jpeg

Man’s car! That’s cool on a whole different level, like running a Liberty modifies red stripe gear set.

Man’s car! That’s cool on a whole different level, like running a Liberty modifies red stripe gear set.
I’d love to run a pro-shift trans but this is primarily a street car and I’m not sure the Liberty set would be enjoyable around town. On the track? Hell yeah.

I like the looks and the idea for forward shifting, but down shifting (street driving) seems like it might be a little more tricky? No T-handle to rest your palm on to pull up the trigger??...

I like the looks and the idea for forward shifting, but down shifting (street driving) seems like it might be a little more tricky? No T-handle to rest your palm on to pull up the trigger??...
True, it will be a little different now but I ran through the gears a few times just sitting in the garage and it wasn’t too bad. I wrapped my thumb around the main stick while pulling up on the trigger and pushing forward into 1st.
Somewhere in the abyss there is a thread where someone modified the trigger on his shifter to work like a lever. I’m searching but haven’t found it yet. That could be a game changer.

True, it will be a little different now but I ran through the gears a few times just sitting in the garage and it wasn’t too bad. I wrapped my thumb around the main stick while pulling up on the trigger and pushing forward into 1st.
Somewhere in the abyss there is a thread where someone modified the trigger on his shifter to work like a lever. I’m searching but haven’t found it yet. That could be a game changer.

Well, you put a pistol grip shifter handle on it so put a trigger on it too.

Well, you put a pistol grip shifter handle on it so put a trigger on it too.
Now that's a marketable idea there! It would be fairly easy to machine an aluminum pistol grip to accept a trigger and tie rod/pull bar assembly to operate the gate lock. Anyone with a smithy type machine could pull it off reasonably well.

The handle is a small front brake lever from a Honda dirt bike. That I modified the handlebar bracket to mount to the bracket on the shift handle were the rod and t-handle were. Then I picked up a metal rod the same thickness as the original rod,cut and bent it to fit and tapped threads on both ends. Used the barrel end of the brake cable, drill and tap it to screw on the brake lever end and the original hardware for the other end.

-
Back