Instrument Cluster plastic repair issue..

-

Miranthis

Reaction score
My 66 Barracuda is being redone and I am working on the instrument cluster. Roger Kizer (@RogerK ) mentioned in one of his YT videos about melting the plastic pins when disassembling the plastic cluster for repairs adding a little new plastic when you were reassembling them. I had rust between the plastic lenses and the metal masks on the small gauges and in carefully melting those heads to remove them I know I will need some additional plastic to reattach. What are you all using for your doner plastic?

My 66 Barracuda is being redone and I am working on the instrument cluster. Roger Kizer (@RogerK ) mentioned in one of his YT videos about melting the plastic pins when disassembling the plastic cluster for repairs adding a little new plastic when you were reassembling them. I had rust between the plastic lenses and the metal masks on the small gauges and in carefully melting those heads to remove them I know I will need some additional plastic to reattach. What are you all using for your doner plastic?
Been there.

The plastics used in car models work great.

What about hot glue? I would expect it would do the job well.

Also works great in areas that won't be seen as it yellows out with age.

That's the big advantage using plastic has over it.

Need to rebuild the posts a bit so I have something to hold to....in removing them, even being careful with my soldering iron, many of them mushroomed or blew out as the metal plate got hot as well. I could use some milliput, jb weld, or green stuff to make a new base post..

cluster rear.jpg

Need to rebuild the posts a bit so I have something to hold to....in removing them, even being careful with my soldering iron, many of them mushroomed or blew out as the metal plate got hot as well. I could use some milliput, jb weld, or green stuff to make a new base post..

View attachment 1716291745

Try this.

1. Heat up a small finishing nail . (this is where the butane torch becomes very handy)

2. While its still hot, push it into the center of the remaining post.

3. Re assemble the plastic parts with the protruding nail sticking through the part where the post used to be.

4. Melt the plastic model material around the finishing nail until it takes up the space and secures the parts together.

5. Use a snip to cut the excess length of the finish nail that's not needed.

BTW, if you have a Hobby shop in your area, they will have plastic repair rods of different lengths and colors you can use.

Cheers!!

It seems these are made with ABS.
You can use either heat or chemical to melt and 'weld' ABS.
Build up with more ABS.

-
Back