Insulin Pump

-
My 16 year old son has had one for about the last 3 years. Truly a god send. No more shots (was a minimum of 4 per day) for him. Now he does a site change every 3 days. In my opinion everyone with Type 1 Diabetes should have the pump. Much better control, steadier blood sugar levels, etc...

My 16 year old son has had one for about the last 3 years. Truly a god send. No more shots (was a minimum of 4 per day) for him. Now he does a site change every 3 days. In my opinion everyone with Type 1 Diabetes should have the pump. Much better control, steadier blood sugar levels, etc...

That was what my doctor was explaining to me today since I am taking 5 shots a day plus pills. Has the pump your son uses limit his activity?

I had a friend who son raced MX with his on. Once in a spectacular crash it did come off but generally, it was great.

Our province has committed to buy all type 1 child diabetics a pump.

I am an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic ..I am running up to 8 or 9 shots (2 different types) a day and have been thinking about this.

The only neg think i can think about is my BIL has one and it has really taken over his life...

I would go for it for your son.

Ian.

grassy it is for me. I asked to go to the next class he had explaining all the pro's and con's about it. I like the idea my diabetes will be more under control.

I'm sorry. Been working on the car and am a bit tired.

Control is good. I have a couple of "benefits" of diabetes now hence my pondering. Unfortunately, I have to shoulder much of the cost myself...now if I was only 40 odd years younger :)

ian.

I'm sorry. Been working on the car and am a bit tired.

Control is good. I have a couple of "benefits" of diabetes now hence my pondering. Unfortunately, I have to shoulder much of the cost myself...now if I was only 40 odd years younger :)

ian.

No problem grassy there is some benefits less shots, once every 3 days is better than 5 times a day. I sure would feel better with more control.

That was what my doctor was explaining to me today since I am taking 5 shots a day plus pills. Has the pump your son uses limit his activity?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner... My son is a very active 16 year old boy. Tennis, swimming, biking, basketball, etc... Once you figure out how your body responds to whatever activity you adjust the pump accordingly.

Eating pizza (one of his favorites) or spaghetti means he needs to change the insulin delivery rate (white starchy, doughy foods take longer for your body to handle) vs. a can of soda which needs attention right now.

The only limit we've seen is that on site change day (just before dinner) we have to plan accordingly. If he has an activity that day we'll change the day before. Still much easier more reliable for him than the shots!

I say go for it and get the pump. If you don't like it you can always go back to shots. Only you can decide what you prefer!

Good luck with your decision!

Yeah Cliff.My doc has been talking to me about a pump.He says It will be better than
trying to remember all the shots.Will help keep things in check.Oh I have type 2.

Yeah Cliff.My doc has been talking to me about a pump.He says It will be better than
trying to remember all the shots.Will help keep things in check.Oh I have type 2.

Yeah it seems to have more benefits and is easier to use.I am looking forward to the classes.

My insulin pump is working out great. My doctor is happy with the results, now to on to other health problems to work on.

good to hear cliff! i am happy it worked out for ya! now take care of those other health issues, and feel better soon!

Thanks James The other is going to be harder,but I will get through it all soon.

My best friend has had one for the last 6 or so years, and the school I work for has done a lot of work with one of the manufacturers (if there are more than one) on the hardware/software. For the first couple of years that my friend had it he lived with us and so I can attest to a few problems. The biggest issue he had was that when he would sweat or do a lot of work it would come unseated and he would go into a reaction after awhile. Some of them were really bad.

A lot of his other issues really came down to his depression issues along with smoking like a chimney and his terrible diet. He only drank diet coke and about 2 pots of coffee a day. No water or anything else. For food he would only eat fast food. He has since taken care of his depression issues, is married to a great girl who wont let him eat junk food, and he quit smoking. Now that all of that is taken care off he hasn't had a major reaction in a couple of years.

My best friend has had one for the last 6 or so years, and the school I work for has done a lot of work with one of the manufacturers (if there are more than one) on the hardware/software. For the first couple of years that my friend had it he lived with us and so I can attest to a few problems. The biggest issue he had was that when he would sweat or do a lot of work it would come unseated and he would go into a reaction after awhile. Some of them were really bad.

A lot of his other issues really came down to his depression issues along with smoking like a chimney and his terrible diet. He only drank diet coke and about 2 pots of coffee a day. No water or anything else. For food he would only eat fast food. He has since taken care of his depression issues, is married to a great girl who wont let him eat junk food, and he quit smoking. Now that all of that is taken care off he hasn't had a major reaction in a couple of years.

My diet is getting better each day and my sugar is right in range of where it should be. I drink very little soda but no diet drinks I mainly drink ice tea with sweet low or water and lots of water. My other health problems are related to chemo and back problems.

Orals stopped working for me...that is when they started me on insulin..

I was insulin resistant because of massive amounts if insulin shots. My sugar was staying 400 or higher all the time and have been unreadable, I am still on metforum. The great part instead of 5 shots a day I am given a little each hour instead of a total of 290 units of insulin each day along with 1000 mg X 2 Metforum.

I understand one thing I have learned about diabetes is that no 2 people are the same. What might work for one may not for another. Also other thing that are in or not in our control. Weight, stress, and diet are big with me. I am only 180 lbs and still need to drop 10. I am sure the day will come where the orals will not work with me also that seems to be the trend.

Orals stopped working for me...that is when they started me on insulin..

...people keep telling me that a good diet and exercise will cure type 2. I am now disabled , in chronic pain and am 260 pounds. I am 5' 9 something...I have lost 2+ inches in height over the last 6 years...changing your diet is essential but if you cannot excersise, you have an 8 ball on the back of your head...

I no longer take pain meds or beta blockers so when I am in deep pain, my blood sugar is very hard to control. BTW, we use a different scale. The good zone is 3.6 to 6.1.

Couldn't work on the car today because of back spasms...

ian.

I understand one thing I have learned about diabetes is that no 2 people are the same. What might work for one may not for another. Also other thing that are in or not in our control. Weight, stress, and diet are big with me. I am only 180 lbs and still need to drop 10. I am sure the day will come where the orals will not work with me also that seems to be the trend.

That is so true. When I first found out I had diabetes less than a year after I finished treatment for cancer. I was on pills for 2 years and didn't listen to my doctor then went on insulin and got worse as time went. I am glad I have found a new doctor that is very knowledgeable about insulin pumps. But I have to admit I have changed my diet a lot and still have a long way to go.

...people keep telling me that a good diet and exercise will cure type 2. I am now disabled , in chronic pain and am 260 pounds. I am 5' 9 something...I have lost 2+ inches in height over the last 6 years...changing your diet is essential but if you cannot excersise, you have an 8 ball on the back of your head...

I no longer take pain meds or beta blockers so when I am in deep pain, my blood sugar is very hard to control. BTW, we use a different scale. The good zone is 3.6 to 6.1.

Couldn't work on the car today because of back spasms...

ian.

I have a rupture disc for a 2nd time in over 20 years. The pain meds were working but I stayed groggy all the time. I am waiting to have another injection in my lower back. I am allowed 4 shots a year and fighting my way slowly out of my power chair. I take aleve for pain and use a walker or cane depending on the pain I am in.

My cure is just to get another coke.

-
Back