Intake Manifold Dilema

-

ElephantKiller

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on what I need to do about my intake manifold dilema. I removed all of the port plugs and the fittings from my aluminum intake manifold (Eddy Torker II), and the threads for the heater hose fitting came out with the fitting (Yay). It appears that who ever installed it before me felt it important to cross thread the fitting. I tried to clean up the threads, but it's looking like a lost cause.

Here is my dilema, do I attempt to repair the threads in the coolant port, or do I update my intake to a newer design? If I do repair the threads, what is the best way to do so (Heli-coil, Permatex Thread Repair)?

And finally the subjective question, has anyone run the Weiand ACELerator, thoughts? I have also thought about an M-1 single plane, but that's getting a bit pricey.

I'll wait patiently for your advice.

Heli-coil would be the best with the aluminum but those are some big NPT threads and it's gonna be expensive for the heli-coils. Honestly that intake isn't that great and if you want a single plane I'd go for an M1. I didn't lose any bottom end with it and I really think the M1 is the best all around single plane for the SB or if you want a dual plane get an Air-Gap.

I tried a tap, but the top threads are pretty much gone, but the bottom threads are still there. I can not seem to get the tap to match the original threads. The tap wants to follow the crossed threads. Might you know what the threads and size tap that would be? I may try again and want to be sure I am using the right tap.

Maybe try JB welding them in place ? Cant hurt. If it doesnt work buy an Air Gap.

what if you got a small piece of aluminum tubing same size as the fitting and TIG'd it to the intake?

I understand not wanted to spend the money but time is money and you are gonna spend a lot of time on an outdated aftermarket intake.

Dusterb, you do make a good point. Will a square bore carb hook directly to the M-1, or do I need an adapter? I notice it has the spread bore reliefs.

AdamR, I thought about just running it in and forgetting about it, but I don't know if I really want to "make it work". I definately don't want to TIG it. But thanks for the input.

I doubt whether you'll be able to tap the same size that was there if you have stripped the threads. You'll have to drill out to next larger size and then tap, finishing up with a larger male nipple and reducing it back down, or find a nipple that has the outside diameter that matches your hose. This is only if you are going the tap route. May be better off as stated before, update to a better unit. Mike

Yes they are dual pattern mounts on the M1......I have a Holley bolted to my M1. I used an adaptor before to make the transition smoother but I now have a 4 hole spacer on there with the nitrous plate and did away with the adaptor.

What kind of hood clearance issues might I have? I am running a steel hood with a Demon scoop. Can I run the stock air cleaner?

I think if you stay away from the spacers you might be okay.....the worst thing you'll have to do is run a drop base air cleaner.

do as valiant mike suggested. drill& tap to next & reduce back. don't
compromise. do it right the first time.

grapehead said:
what if you got a small piece of aluminum tubing same size as the fitting and TIG'd it to the intake?

i was thinking the same thing. or build the aluminum back up and re-tap back to the original size. but you could probably buy a new one for that price

Under the advice of a couple of guys on here I went with an RPM Air Gap.

Any body want an Torker II 340 with a stripped out coolant port?

-
Back