Intake Manifold Recommendation

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me start by saying, this is not an A-body vehicle. What I have is a 87 Dakota with a 3.9 V6 motor. I want to use a 5.9 magnum out of a 99 or so Durango. I plan to keep it stock except for a carb intake, 670 holley carb, and electronic ignition.
I want to keep all of the front accessories, ie ps, alt, ac. from the Durango. But I will be running an electric fan to cool the motor.
I already have set up an electric fuel pump and have that running the V6 now.
For now, my main question is this, What intake would best fit the motor? I know Edelbrock and Professional Products both make one for the magnum motors.
Does one or the other clear the factory magnum accessories better etc.?
Thanks for your help.

Always heard the Edelbrocks caused some sort of clearance/bracket issue's for the AC compressor.

TrailBeast, Thanks for your reply! I have read that the Edelbrock had a problem with the thermostat housing clearing the AC compressor.
But I also have heard that the Professional Products manifold has smaller runners. Course for a stock motor, that may not be a bad thing.
But I really would like to hear from others, especially anyone who has used these intakes.

TrailBeast, Thanks for your reply! I have read that the Edelbrock had a problem with the thermostat housing clearing the AC compressor.
But I also have heard that the Professional Products manifold has smaller runners. Course for a stock motor, that may not be a bad thing.
But I really would like to hear from others, especially anyone who has used these intakes.

I am running a 2176 Eddie dual plane, but no AC so no personal experience there.

I am running the crosswind china intake on a stock 2002 360. No issues what so ever and it works/runs great.

Intake wont matter if you dont change the cam and heads. The 5.9 has a little cam and intake valves that will limit power much more than any manifold. If you are going to swap the heads, then get a set of "LA" bolt pattern heads and you can run any LA manifold you can find for cheap.

See if you can find a M1 duel plane, it should work well with your combination.
They quit making them, so used is your only option that I know of.

I am running the crosswind china intake on a stock 2002 360. No issues what so ever and it works/runs great.

Sorry for the slow response, I have been out of town for the holidays. I understand that the crosswind has smaller runners then the edelbrock, but for a stock or close to stock motor it probably wont hurt anything, may even help.
But are you running the magnum accessories, and does everything clear, ie ac compressor? Thanks for your input.

Intake wont matter if you dont change the cam and heads. The 5.9 has a little cam and intake valves that will limit power much more than any manifold. If you are going to swap the heads, then get a set of "LA" bolt pattern heads and you can run any LA manifold you can find for cheap.

While I understand there is a lot of power left on the table with the stock cam and also I understand there is problems with the factory heads cracking.
But I am trying to keep this swap as simple as possible. Power wise , I will have a major increase. I currently have a 3.9 v6 125hp and 195tq.
As I progress with this swap, and if I find on my donor motor that the heads are cracked, then I would probably get the EQ heads, maybe a little more cam, and consider the LA style intake.
But again, how well will all of this mate up to the magnum accessories?
Oh, edit to add, the intake is necessary as I want to keep the truck carbed and not try to go FI.

See if you can find a M1 duel plane, it should work well with your combination.
They quit making them, so used is your only option that I know of.

I think the part no is p5249500. Now assuming that is correct and I find one, do you know if mates up well with the magnum accessories? Thanks

I run the RPM. There is no figment issues. The bracket for the Alt., A/C bolts right on.
There are 2 problems to it's use.
1; under the factory magnum acc. bracket, there is a water port that must use a Allen key plug.
2: You will then need to drip out and tap one of the two holes in the intake that could be used for the water temp sensor to use for the other heater hose that the factory bracket covered.

Examine pictures below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 603
Sorry about the side ways photos. Good GOD! I hate taking pictures with a phone for this ****!

As you can see in the first photo, the '00, 5.9 is equipped with a RPM, carb, headers & a '72 air cleaner. The engine bay is a '79 Magnum. The stock acc. bracket is in use.

I tried to get that general shot and the next one in this post with a bit closer if a **** to show the heater hose semi hidden. At that spot, is where I drilled out the intake. It could have had a temp sensor there, which can also be seen to the right of the upper radiator hose.

If you want to use the stock A/C pump, you will need to use the stock upper radiator hose from the Magnum because it is taller and will clear easier. Also use the hose bracket for support.

My apologies in advance for everyone's neck and the crick from suffering from the head tilt.

The plugged water port can not be seen since it is under the acc. bracket.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 537

While I understand there is a lot of power left on the table with the stock cam and also I understand there is problems with the factory heads cracking.
But I am trying to keep this swap as simple as possible. Power wise , I will have a major increase. I currently have a 3.9 v6 125hp and 195tq.
As I progress with this swap, and if I find on my donor motor that the heads are cracked, then I would probably get the EQ heads, maybe a little more cam, and consider the LA style intake.
But again, how well will all of this mate up to the magnum accessories?
Oh, edit to add, the intake is necessary as I want to keep the truck carbed and not try to go FI.

Look around for a set of 5.2 heads and cam cheap and use them if you are on a budget, .397" lift vs .439" for 5.2 which has larger 1.92" intake instead of 1.86" intake of 5.9.
Cam is a roller so dont sweat new lifters. Get new freeze plugs, roller timing set and water pump, good to go super budget sleeper 300 hp would be fair est . EQ's. .500"-.525" cam and air gap should put you in the 375-400 hp range with proper tuning.

Sorry, but don't the Magnum engines all use the SAME HEAD AND VALVES?!

I drove my 88 D150 for over a year with a stock 96 junkyard 360 Magnum and enjoyed every minute of it. RPM air gap with 1" open spacer and a 770 Holley street avenger it made just over 400tq and 308hp at flywheel. Made driving it anywhere fun. I ended up putting small roller cam and rpm heads on it last winter and it's now hands down my favorite vehicle I own to drive. Little Dodge pickups deserve a 5.9 Magnum.

NO. 5.2 has 1.92" intake and 5.9 has 1.86" intake

5.2 has .439" lift roller and 5.9 has .397" lift roller

Thats why both engines basically make 245 hp. Just installing the 5.2 heads and cam in 5.9(pcm too if injected) will push 5.9 much closer to 300 range.

You are correct. 92 and up 5.2 and 93 and up 5.9 use the same heads. 1.92 intake and 1.62 exhaust.

NO. 5.2 has 1.92" intake and 5.9 has 1.86" intake

5.2 has .439" lift roller and 5.9 has .397" lift roller

Thats why both engines basically make 245 hp. Just installing the 5.2 heads and cam in 5.9(pcm too if injected) will push 5.9 much closer to 300 range.

The 5.2 does have different lift and duration than 5.9, but the heads are the same between them.

You are correct. 92 and up 5.2 and 93 and up 5.9 use the same heads. 1.92 intake and 1.62 exhaust.
I can't help but think 1.625...

Look around for a set of 5.2 heads and cam cheap and use them if you are on a budget, .397" lift vs .439" for 5.2 which has larger 1.92" intake instead of 1.86" intake of 5.9.
Cam is a roller so dont sweat new lifters. Get new freeze plugs, roller timing set and water pump, good to go super budget sleeper 300 hp would be fair est . EQ's. .500"-.525" cam and air gap should put you in the 375-400 hp range with proper tuning.
The 360 cam is basically a roller variant of the same ol', same ol' that low-performance 360s got all the way back to 1971 models. The 318s had a larger cam for the Magnums. All Magnums had the 1.92/1.62 valves and despite varying casting numbers were all functionally equivalent- they all had 1.6 rockers. The last 1.88 intake heads were the 308s for the '92 360s.

Thank you. I have typed just that a few times in the last few weeks and started to wonder if I was actually a bit more advanced in age and weak in mind than my 49 years on this planet should be at.

But hey! WTF DO I KNOW?

Rumblefish is right, and keep in mind, the mopar "300 horsepower" crate engine is a BONE STOCK production 5.9 including the cam, it just has a carbureted intake, and a car oil pan.

Rumblefish, cdavis and infecteddog....you all seem so sure of your knowledge of magnum engines and yet, do you have a shop building and installing magnums in jeeps and a bodies
? Have you been doing that for 20 years? How many magnums have you ever disassembled ?

Rumblefish, you seem to like to kick me in the nuts on a fairly regular basis, to the point where I am starting to take offense. Did you foolishly assume I was some 20 dipshit living in my moms basement? Are you into public humiliation? It seems your aged 49 years may have affected your brain...or are the engineers at Chrysler idiots like me too?

Attachments

• 1996FSM.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 437
  • Dak FSM.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 427
  • 59spec2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 372
  • 59spec.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 385
  • 59page2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 59 page.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 401
  • 52specII.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 411
  • 52spec.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 440
  • 52page.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 59 specIII.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 381
My recommendation is to run an intake manifold.

It will run much better with one than without.

-
Back