Intake manifold won't seal - How do I check it ?

-
Just spitballin' here, do you still have the little tabs on the head gaskets intact, the tabs that hold the intake gasket up for alignment? IF so where are they positioned, are they set to be under the bottom of the intake, or did you fold them up so they are pinching between the intake/head surface???

Those tabs are folded down to go under the intake on the china walls.

The bolts do sit very high in the bolt holes. I noticed that the bolts at the rear of the intake actually rub the top of the hole and are difficult to start.

It's a good possibility thicker gaskets will help with alignment also. What I'd do is get 4 feeler gauges and starting with .060" (the thickness of the gaskets you've been using) insert one at each corner between the head and intake working your way up to how thick it takes to center the bolts in the holes. That'll tell you how thick the gaskets need to be. In the case of mine it took .090" to center the bolts. Cometic had some .094" thick so they were close enough to work fine.

Hey Fishy68. Here is a link to the cometic site you suggested. It shows the thicknesses of the custom gaskets they make.

http://www.cometic.com/custom-gaskets.aspx

Yeah that's them. I used the Aramid fiber gaskets for the intake. There's only one drawback with them, you have to use sealer around all ports so if you ever take it back apart it's more clean up work. Other than that they work great.

Ok...typing out loud here...the tabs from the head gaskets that fold down and intake sits on.... cant you put feeler gauges under each 4 corners until the intake bolt holes to cyl head bolt holes look like they line up?? Then once holes are lined up in theory the angles should be the same no?? So "pushing" the intake from one side or the other and measuring that gap...divided in half should give you approx intake gasket thickness.
BUT, in this case you would have to use "thicker cork" intake to black gaskets(in place of RTV??). If such a thing exists.... I dunno Im at a loss and babbling so that hopefully something sensible comes out.....LOL

Ok...typing out loud here...the tabs from the head gaskets that fold down and intake sits on.... cant you put feeler gauges under each 4 corners until the intake bolt holes to cyl head bolt holes look like they line up?? Then once holes are lined up in theory the angles should be the same no?? So "pushing" the intake from one side or the other and measuring that gap...divided in half should give you approx intake gasket thickness.
BUT, in this case you would have to use "thicker cork" intake to black gaskets(in place of RTV??). If such a thing exists.... I dunno Im at a loss and babbling so that hopefully something sensible comes out.....LOL

No cork at the ends, just RTV. If thicker gaskets are needed, they will only be roughly .030" thicker so it wouldn't really take much more RTV.

Sorry I can no longer contribute but I'm getting ready to put my intake back on and I'm crossing my fingers I don't get into something annoying like this!

Had a lot going on lately, so it has been slow. I am back on it now. I should be posting some info on here by the end of the week.

if the heads or block has been machined the intake will need to be to fit the different angle that is now there

-
Back