Irwindale Ca.Track closeing??

-
Wow, I am just getting started in this hobby and our local 1/8 mi track is also in jeap[ordy from the bad economy. Real shame too as it was one of the fastest tracks in the SE and brought in a lot of cars. It is 5 miles from my garage to the pits and without the track no reason to have a track car.

Were losing the battle I think. Hate to think about all the tracks that were around SoCal when I grew up there going away.

Another thing.....@ Fontana, you need a helmet in anything faster than 13.99?! Gimme a friggin' break!

Then you wouldn't have liked OCIR - everyone needed a helmet to run. It's just basic safety.

I raced Irwindale when it was a 1/4 mile track in 1968. My friend and I had a center steering funny car corvette and ran 212 mph back then.

Then you wouldn't have liked OCIR - everyone needed a helmet to run. It's just basic safety.

I never wore a helmet when racing there except in the faster stuff at the time, 11's or quicker. Didn't have to wear one in 13 second cars

Barona and Fontucky are the only two left. Don't know if Qualcomm still does their thing.

I never wore a helmet when racing there except in the faster stuff at the time, 11's or quicker. Didn't have to wear one in 13 second cars

Barona and Fontucky are the only two left. Don't know if Qualcomm still does their thing.

I remember having to rent a helmet the first time I raced there in 1970. My '69 340 Swinger was running 14.20s in G/Pure Stock class. I went out and bought my first helmet the very next week - wish I still had it now just for the nostalgia, I threw it away 20 years ago.

Maybe at a NHRA event.

Wed test and tune never needed one except as noted.

Test and tune must have been the difference. Never went to one of those - only raced on the weekends.

I never wore a helmet when racing there except in the faster stuff at the time, 11's or quicker. Didn't have to wear one in 13 second cars.....

I'm not trying to really dog out on safety equipment, but geez, if you wanna get guys away from street racing, I think requiring a helmet for say, 12.99's or better isn't too outrageous. Stock 6 cylinder mustangs and camaros are doing mid-14's now.

I'm not trying to really dog out on safety equipment, but geez, if you wanna get guys away from street racing, I think requiring a helmet for say, 12.99's or better isn't too outrageous. Stock 6 cylinder mustangs and camaros are doing mid-14's now.

It was early 80's we're talking here. Not the now standards.

I raced Irwindale when it was a 1/4 mile track in 1968. My friend and I had a center steering funny car corvette and ran 212 mph back then.

The old Irwindale 1/4-mile track closed in 1973. The site has been the Miller/Coors brewery since 1980.
San Fernando closed in 1969.
Lions closed in 1972 and is now a storage area for shipping containers. Mickey Thompson's Fontana Drag City shut down the same year.
OCIR shut down in 1983 and the spot is now an office/technology park.
Ontario Motor Speedway closed in 1980.
Riverside International Raceway closed in 1989 and is now a shopping mall.
Famed Ascot Park closed in 1991.
Los Angeles County Raceway (Palmdale) shut down in 2007.

I showed up to LACR one wen night for test and tune and they were closed and big old bulldozers were rolling around digging the place up.

Helmet rule used to be 13.99,and quicker for verts.I liked OCIR the best of the L.A.strips I saw.Supposedly Lompoc Valley is getting a motorsports park.Set up by the Foster brothers from SoCal in the sixties.

IIRC, Fontucky is dealing with that noise lawsuit from a douchebag that moved in to a home after the track had already opened. He complains about the train noise too.

IIRC, Fontucky is dealing with that noise lawsuit from a douchebag that moved in to a home after the track had already opened. He complains about the train noise too.

Well, (LOL!!!) good luck with stopping the trains!!!
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Well, (LOL!!!) good luck with stopping the trains!!!
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

We got the train crossing whistling stopped for 5 miles of track in tustin. Thete are square miles of vacant tarmac in long beach harbor even today. Many terminals moved to san pedro. The could still run a eighth at lions still room. We got a creep behind our church that says the bells are too loud...church was there 20 years before the homes were.

Irwindale filed a chapter 7 Bankruptcy the same day they announced there would be no racing for 2012. There is lots of info at www.stickshifttrans.com click Whine Cellar on the left. It's my message board. Also, Orange Show Speedway closed this year, first time since it opened around 1947. The little dirt track in Victorville also closed for this year. Perris is still going strong. The new "Mesa Marin" up in Bakersfield is suppose to open by the end of the year after a few years of delays.

I want to throw out a Hello to socaldart, I didn't know any other members were here in Berdoo besides me.

Russ.

im not scared to run on the street when my car is done I've done it since high school and i don't know anyone that has ever been caught
that's what there driving us to anyways

Irwindale filed a chapter 7 Bankruptcy the same day they announced there would be no racing for 2012. There is lots of info at www.stickshifttrans.com click Whine Cellar on the left. It's my message board. Also, Orange Show Speedway closed this year, first time since it opened around 1947. The little dirt track in Victorville also closed for this year. Perris is still going strong. The new "Mesa Marin" up in Bakersfield is suppose to open by the end of the year after a few years of delays.

I want to throw out a Hello to socaldart, I didn't know any other members were here in Berdoo besides me.

Russ.

the chapter 7 was filed by the people who leased the track (property) ...not the property owner....the owner was quoted saying he would like to keep the property as a race track....

We got the train crossing whistling stopped for 5 miles of track in tustin. quote]

RE:"We got the train crossing whistling stopped"
:wack:
Whistling?

You're showing your age, Pishta... (I'm 73; I well remember "whistles" on locomotives!):toothy8:

-
Back