Is it ok to copy a W5 head and make it better or are we just mad at Speedmaster

-
It wasn't that they copied a transbrake. LOTs of companies make transbrakes. Whoever the first developer was, lots of people have copied it. Screw up was having their guys copying a competitors stuff, NOT take the brand name off, and then either not noticing, or not caring enough to eat the product.
(Should have shipped them all back to China and had them mill the name off, and THEN sell em. )
Strange. Summit and Jegs have LOTS of Chinese stuff that they sell, with Summit or Jegs name on it. It usually costs more NOT to have the logo on it.

The problem was Speedmaster basically took some of this particular manufaturer's existing stock of parts, crossed his name off it and put theirs on it. It's one thing to take a bare, generic casting that's available to anyone and put your own name on it but using existing inventory produced by someone else with their name already on it, crossing it out and slapping your own name on it to sell for your profit is the issue.

Is this what happened? I thought I read the part was marked "Broader Performance" or the equivalent trademark on it.

Last edited:
As I understand it, summit sold a speedmaster transbrake to a customer that was no good. It had Broaders name and logo machined into it, so the customer complained to broader, who then realized somebody was not only copying their parts, poorly, they were stupid enough to not even take broaders name off when they copied it.

Last edited:
This whole saga immediately reminded me of the old Top Gear episode done in China. I finally decided to look and see if there was a clip.

Here it is:

Complete lack of oversight and quality control.
lack of ethics and integrity also...not knowing right from wrong etc. Its everywhere today, no accountability etc.

Not to get toof ar into it but China has been ripping off bfrand name guitar manufacturers for years let use Gibson Les paul for example. Then some guy in the USA buys one for $400 then brags about it on Youtube showing it off "look I bought a Chibson for $ 400" no one gets it the damage it caused buying counterfeit products. These people arent kids either old enough to know better etc. Problem arises when the guy buys the $400 Gibson fake sells it for 2 or 3 grand as a real les Paul made in Kalamazoo Michigan to some poor dumb guy or gal that has saved up for a few years for a les paul...yes it happens in the USA... it gets to be where you have to be an expert in identifying car parts and or guitars...by eye...:)

Last edited:
I'm not mad at speedmaster. Anybody that doesn't realize that EVERYTHING they sell is a chinese ripoff/copy of sumbody else's stuff is an idiot.
I have bought stuff from speedmaster, at their black friday sale, because the price savings is SOOO good, i cant resist.... because if i had to buy from a u.s. manufacturer, i would pass on the puchase, cause the price would be three to five times as much money.
Do I know it's a copy... sure.
Do I expect first quality stuff....no.
Do I have parts i wouldn't otherwise have?...... you betcha!
THIS!

I find it incredibly hypocritical how many people will say they are for free market capitalism, yet this kind of stuff bugs them. IF its an EXACT copy, and its patented, then yes, sue the hell out of them, its a damn ripoff! But we know that literally none of these Chinese copies are EXACT copies of what they are modelled after, and if a buyer is so stupid to not know that the original is better, that's on them- afterall, its their money to decide if they want the real deal, or the somewhat compromised wannabe version and the possible consequences of using said item.

Do I love Chinese products, production, and what they stand for??? Definitely not...but I also can't stand hearing the whining from the anti china crowd, who in reality use Chinese products in their daily lives. Patent your stuff and get rightfully upset if its a DIRECT copy, otherwise accept the reality of globalization and the free market, and maybe try to make your product better in some way? I don't know of any other development field that gets upset if another company almost copies their product- its to be expected, is the biggest form of flattery, and just the reality that constant development is really the only solution in a society engaged in free market capitalism...

THIS!

I find it incredibly hypocritical how many people will say they are for free market capitalism, yet this kind of stuff bugs them. IF its an EXACT copy, and its patented, then yes, sue the hell out of them, its a damn ripoff! But we know that literally none of these Chinese copies are EXACT copies of what they are modelled after, and if a buyer is so stupid to not know that the original is better, that's on them- afterall, its their money to decide if they want the real deal, or the somewhat compromised wannabe version and the possible consequences of using said item.

Do I love Chinese products, production, and what they stand for??? Definitely not...but I also can't stand hearing the whining from the anti china crowd, who in reality use Chinese products in their daily lives. Patent your stuff and get rightfully upset if its a DIRECT copy, otherwise accept the reality of globalization and the free market, and maybe try to make your product better in some way? I don't know of any other development field that gets upset if another company almost copies their product- its to be expected, is the biggest form of flattery, and just the reality that constant development is really the only solution in a society engaged in free market capitalism...
True story

I'll give an unsolicited example.
Nine inch Ford rearend. How many people sell nine inch Ford rears, without a single Ford part in it? SOMEBODY sure copied a Ford part so they could sell some.
Currie, Randy's, strange, Dr Diff, etc, sell a new aluminum center with new gears and a posi/spool for $13-1500. Lots of money, don't wanna spend that......
So, I bought a new aluminum 9" center with a spool, and my choice of gear, custom assembled for me, from speedmaster.

For $600. Very nice quality part,, heavy casting with a speedmaster logo on the thru-bolt case, billet steel caps. Free shipping in a nice re-usable box, held together with 20 screws, inside another box with packing and "heavy" marking on the outside, delivered by FedEx without a mark.
Yeah, I HATE speedmaster for copying stuff.
If the case had said "Currie" on it, there might have been a problem..... but it wouldn't have been me bitching.

Last edited:
Welp people in Merika want 35 dollars an hour plus the boss needs their cut plus US taxes plus shipping of the raw materials maintenance of equipment and the electric bill etc. etc. etc. a basic business course should be given in High school I believe...people I know used to always want me to do "side work " auto repair but they'd ***** no matter what the bill was it usually came out to "half of it was the parts..." most of the time I was lucky to make 15 an hour...that got old cheap parts wouldnt cut it if they are back bitching again inside of 3 or 4 months...

If you are doing a casting that is a complete copy of the W5, down to the logo, sure, you're probably as bad as Speedmaster. But you wouldn't do an exact copy, you'd make changes to the design.
I thought Brett Miller was working on something?

All the Edelbrock head copies started with someone sending a head to Steven Sun @ CFL Engine Parts manufactory Co.,Ltd, or somewhere like it, and asking him to make them. Then they've been purchased by everyone else.

If you are doing a casting that is a complete copy of the W5, down to the logo, sure, you're probably as bad as Speedmaster. But you wouldn't do an exact copy, you'd make changes to the design.
I thought Brett Miller was working on something?

All the Edelbrock head copies started with someone sending a head to Steven Sun @ CFL Engine Parts manufactory Co.,Ltd, or somewhere like it, and asking him to make them. Then they've been purchased by everyone else.

Brett is the guy working on it. It’s not a secret, been all over Facebook for a while.

I'll give an unsolicited example.
Nine inch Ford rearend. How many people sell nine inch Ford rears, without a single Ford part in it? SOMEBODY sure copied a Ford part so they could sell some.
Currie, Randy's, strange, Dr Diff, etc, sell a new aluminum center with new gears and a posi/spool for $13-1500. Lots of money, don't wanna spend that......
So, I bought a new aluminum 9" center with a spool, and my choice of gear, custom assembled for me, from speedmaster.

For $600. Very nice quality part,, heavy casting with a speedmaster logo on the thru-bolt case, billet steel caps. Free shipping in a nice re-usable box, held together with 20 screws, inside another box with packing and "heavy" marking on the outside, delivered by FedEx without a mark.
Yeah, I HATE speedmaster for copying stuff.
If the case had said "Currie" on it, there might have been a problem..... but it wouldn't have been me bitching.
How much R&D do You think is involved in simply beefing-up &/or lightening w/Aluminum an already strong unit, vs developing intake manifolds, cylinder heads, & cams to go with them?? When's the last time Ford produced the 9" rear in a car or truck?
When somebody like Eddy develops a product unlike the OE parts they replace, and are producing a quality, performing part.....they have a bunch of $$$$$$ sunk into them. While they are recovering the investment, some tool bag ships one to the Chinkaboos, and a week later with no R&D investment & practically slave labor are pumping out thousands & dumping them here.
Then when Eddy is forced to try & compete with dirt-cheap copies stolen from them, everybody cries & whines that the quality sucks now, gee.....no kiddin'.

As for the subject heads in this thread, F*ck Stellantis, & pretty much Daimler-Chrysler. They haven't made them in how long?? And they've practically abandoned anybody with anything older than a Neon.....for all intensive purposes. But boy they LOVE to protect the trademarks & certify stuff, & willing to sue the sh*t out of anybody making anything that could resemble them.
:rolleyes:

Ok test time

1. How long is a patent good for?

2. Who is responsible for fees involved in fighting patent claims?

3. If a patent is filled in America is it illegal for someone in China to go against the patent and copy a product?
1. 20 years
2. The Patent Holder
3. No, but the Chinkaboos don't give a sh*t about no stinking rules anyway.....

As for the subject heads in this thread, F*ck Stellantis, & pretty much Daimler-Chrysler. They haven't made them in how long?? And they've practically abandoned anybody with anything older than a Neon.....for all intensive purposes. But boy they LOVE to protect the trademarks & certify stuff, & willing to sue the sh*t out of anybody making anything that could resemble them.
:rolleyes:

Mopar has gone after and threatened anyone using, copying, or improperly displaying their products for years.

Ok test time

1. How long is a patent good for?

2. Who is responsible for fees involved in fighting patent claims?

3. If a patent is filled in America is it illegal for someone in China to go against the patent and copy a product?

Is a patent valid in every country?
Patents are territorial rights. In general, the exclusive rights are only applicable in the country or region in which a patent has been filed and granted, in accordance with the law of that country or region.

-
Back