Is It Posi? (8 3/4)

-

TIBBY

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Do any of you know how to tell if an 8 3/4 has the sure grip posi, either by the #'s or visual?

Thanks
TIBBY

I don't think the carrier has any stamp as to what was inside in that regard.......could be wrong......BUT, don't think so.......

Aside from your question, quickest way to find out is jack the back of the car under the rear, then spin the tire......opposite side goes in the same direction, posi.....opposite direction, non-posi.......but you probably knew that.

I honestly don't think they stamped the exterior for a posi......maybe someone else can chime in...........

:read2:

^ what he said...spin a axle and see if the other rotates the same way....if not its a "open" carrier.

:thumrigh:

ok so ive got a sure grip unit 742case want to put in place of my "open diff unit using the GREEN brng set up what gets done with the inside axle spacer from the adjustable axle set up ???

If it is posi,you have a chevy rear in your car.

There is no posi in "SURE-GRIP"......#-o

ok so ive got a sure grip unit 742case want to put in place of my "open diff unit using the GREEN brng set up what gets done with the inside axle spacer from the adjustable axle set up ???

Don't need the thrust spacers with green bearings as there is no adjustment.

Don't always buy the tire spins the same way test. I've had gummed up open rears that were locked together. Have someone try to hold the other wheel and spin it.

The rear may have an additive tag on it, but, that's not a guarantee either.

Put car in first gear, rev engine , let go of clutch. If two marks are left it`s a sure-grip, if only one it`s an open differential. Seriously ,an open differential will be "open" and you`ll be able to look at it and see all of the spider gears as well as the ring gear. A sure-grip will have the center filled with the sure-grip assembly whether it`s clutch or cone style.

Thanks for the response's, however my issue is this is a diff. that my Dad has, it came out of a 73 340 Cuda (i would have thought that it would have been posi), currently he doesn't have the luxury of spinning the axles since the third member is out of the housing, is there any visual that you all know of that would be an easy id.

Thanks again,
TIBBY

so about these spacers my differential is clamped to stands axles are out so then out comes OPEN 3rd mem as assbly now spacers are attached to ??and come out how??is there an article of this swap and setup?? thanx for the help just dont want things that shoudnt fall out or have to chisle things apart w/out knowing THE things to chisel

Open rear.

rearend2.jpg

Suregrip

rearend4.jpg

Crap sure grip true trac posi miller AND if you change from adjustable brng set up to the "green "brng set up there is STILL the spacers to deal with would someone please advise me what --how to remove pics are always welcome as some of us get confused with the CORRECT terminoligy of parts thanx all:read2:

Here is the other style of sure grip. This is the cone style:

DSC08432.JPG

The thrust spacer/green bearing question was answered earlier.

there should be a dab of orange paint on the filler plug also is it is a sure-grip. may be hard to see after all the years of road grime, but it was pretty bad *** paint. look real hard and I bet you will see it.

I thought that all Sure-Grip's had a metal tag with the ratio stamped on it. Mine does but the original open rear end didn't have one.

I thought that all Sure-Grip's had a metal tag with the ratio stamped on it. Mine does but the original open rear end didn't have one.

I think the tag you`re referring to,(other than the gear ratio tag) mentions using a special sure-grip lubricant.

The Sure Grip had a ratio tag as well as a additional Sure Grip Lube tag.
Back in the day the tags were often discarded.

faucet pics 177.jpg

cracked back ok so you said i dont need spacers iread earlier article and looked at pics dont see spcers are they pressed into hsng or what where how??thanx

"How's a posi trac rear end in a Plymouth work...it just does"
Joe Dirts dad

-
Back