is it worth installing cam in stock 318?

-
Maybe instead of wasting 500 or more bucks just in cams and springs, and another 500 in header with shipping, it will make more sense to offer the previous owner another 1500 for the other '73 Demon he have with the 340 + standard tranny. At least its a real Demon then.

weren't factory compression ratings "blueprint" ...not actual?
early 10.5:1 340's were about 9.5:1,but you could build / blueprint
them to 10.5:1 and be NHRA legal.
Some say the lo comp. engines were not even 8.0:1

For the record-

67-69 318 adv comp is 9.2:1

70 is 8.8

72-74 is 8.6

"Roller" 318 circa 1985-1991 is back to 9.2 and probably more accurate.
FWIW, I've run the numbers and the advertised numbers on the early engines are too high, typically by at least half a point. The head chamber sizes in production run larger.

Maybe instead of wasting 500 or more bucks just in cams and springs, and another 500 in header with shipping, it will make more sense to offer the previous owner another 1500 for the other '73 Demon he have with the 340 + standard tranny. At least its a real Demon then.
Depends on the engine and trans condition....is it a good engine ready to go, or a rebuildable 'core', or totally trashed out? How is the body and other parts? It could be a deal, or not. If it includes the bellhousing and clutch pedals and complete linkage, and the engine is a good core and you get a lot of other parts that you can use for spares or sell off, then it may be a good deal. But at that price, I would be expecting a full engine rebuild. I get the impression that you can't afford that.

That's the generally accepted situation, but the different part numbers suggests that at the very least the earlier and later versions had higher compression than the 71-83-ish units.

Depends on the engine and trans condition....is it a good engine ready to go, or a rebuildable 'core', or totally trashed out? How is the body and other parts? It could be a deal, or not. If it includes the bellhousing and clutch pedals and complete linkage, and the engine is a good core and you get a lot of other parts that you can use for spares or sell off, then it may be a good deal. But at that price, I would be expecting a full engine rebuild. I get the impression that you can't afford that.

Well as far as I know its running and in good condition. Mine only have 73.000miles on it and runs excellent, I dont expect the other one to have such low millage. The questions is, if I ever want to sell it, will someone apreciate it to have it as it came from factory with original engine or something more powerful but custom? When I bought the car I told him that I rather have stick and he offered me the whole 340 4 speed tranny for 1k with all parts I need. But that car will not see the road again, the fenders are gone and he was planning to use the engine for his 68 Dart. I think if I go there with 1500 he will sell me the other one, or maybe even less so I can use the engine and everything else.

Its not really about if I can afford something or not, its about priorities. Im not a fanatic of anything as cars or anything else. I am interested in lots of things like travel, so it just have to be a balance. If I have a good month with business, buying the other demon would be an option. I would LOVE to have a V8 with stick. I dont like automatic at all.

Well if it is running and in good condition, your worries are over LOL! Really.... rebuildable 340 cores have asking prices by themselves of $1000 or more. So this sounds like a DEAL with the trans and bellhousing, flywheel, linkage, pedals, etc. And it sounds like you will really appreciate the 4 speed. Just be aware of the possibility that it is run out and needs a rebuild, may need a new clutch (easy to swap out), trans work etc..

A 340 in a car adds value that is hard to quantify. But for the non-engine knowledgeable, the 340 mystique is crazy. When my son mentions that he put a 340 in his '65 'Cuda, most people just start drooling, smiling, and babbling....LOL...even though it has Edlebrock heads and intake, a 273 crank, aftermarket rods and pistons, and so on. IT'S A 340 BY GAWD!!!

Actually he told me it have a brand new clutch. He took pretty good care of the cars. The one I bought had all oil changed and new brakes too. Just the steerings is bad but no big deal. Yeah I think that might be the best. I can sell my engine too I guess and the tranny. It runs perfect.

Actually he told me it have a brand new clutch. He took pretty good care of the cars. The one I bought had all oil changed and new brakes too. Just the steerings is bad but no big deal. Yeah I think that might be the best. I can sell my engine too I guess and the tranny. It runs perfect.

That 318/auto isn't really worth a ton even if it runs good. It sounds to me like you just want a lumpy idle, and while the 340/4 speed would mean a lot to a lot of us I'm not sure what good it'll do you unless it already has a cam in it. Yes, it'll probably sound a little better but near as I can tell you just want the sound and don't care about the performance, so why not just buy a lumpy cam and be done with it? It won't run amazing but it'll have the sound, as long as you put glass packs on it too.

Well... Here's what I'd do..

Buy the 340 and 4 speed. If it's good to go, then drop it in. If it needs a full rebuild, stick it in the corner of the shop for now. Find a camshaft you want for the 340, and stick it in the 318 with the appropriate valve springs. Get some cheap headers and put them on the 318 and run dual exhaust. Carb and intake from the 340? That'll fit the 318 too. Get a neutral balance flywheel and put the 4 speed behind the 318 since a '73 340 is externally balanced, unlike the 318.. FYI the input shaft of the 4 speed might not fit in the 318, in that case you'll need a needle bearing (national part #FC69907, should cost like $14.), instead of a pilot bushing.

If you do this you'll get the sound that you want out of the 318 for now, and you'll also have a 4 speed. When you get the time and money to rebuild the 340, it'll be there waiting for you. They're not getting any cheaper so you might want to get it while you can. The parts you bought for the 318 you can use with the 340 so your money isn't wasted.

This is pretty much what I did. Started with a 225 and 3 speed stick knowing that I wanted a 340 and 4 speed in the end. Found a cheap running 318 and did some upgrades, dropped it in place of the 225, and drove it while I looked for a suitable 340. Started with a bare 340 block, gathered all the parts I needed, then used parts from the 318 to help build the 340. Then I swapped the 340 in and put my relatively complete 318 on an engine stand. Then I found a 4 speed and swapped it in. So now I have a 340 4 speed Dart, and a 318 and spare transmission that I can use if something breaks. I couldn't afford to do everything all at once (broke college student) so I pieced it together over a few years.

Or you can just stick a big cam in the 318 and drive it as-is and enjoy the new sound. There are plenty of ways you could go about doing this. Do whatever makes you happy.

Obviously if I spent the money in an entire engine and tranny its not just about the idle anymore. It just makes more sense to spend money on that than 1k in cams, additional parts, headers and exhaust. I will go back and check out the other one too then once im done with the body. It was very helpful guys. Thanks again.

Just found this video of another 318. Thats the sound im looking for :)

I met this guy at the Moper NAts last year. Cool car and a even better sound. He has put a 360 in for more power though.
Mopar Nats 2015 018.jpg

Lots of great suggestions here and all will work. Here is what I used in this motor my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

Cam & lifter kit - K50052 109.97
Edelbrock valve springs - EDL 5877 - 48.00
summit double roller timing chain - 38.00

All together 196.00 to my front door from Summit.
Here is what it sounds like

with 2.76 gears and stock converter, I ran 94 mph (93.9) at the strip. I did do some head work, but your 4-speed and 3.55's should be a great help. I did this to a 120,*** miles motor....

That sounds great, what carb?

That sounds great, what carb?
at the time of the video, it was a 600 edelbrock. Then with no other changes came the 670 Holley, then the 770 Holley, and now 1200 cfm's (2 eddy 600's dual quad)

at the time of the video, it was a 600 edelbrock. Then with no other changes came the 670 Holley, then the 770 Holley, and now 1200 cfm's (2 eddy 600's dual quad)
Wow that's impressive thanks for your information I have a 71 318 Dart doing my research on a cam carburetor intake manifold combination nothing radical just a nice little Lumpy's Idol

-
Back