is it worth the effort? (cam)

-

7dart0

Reaction score
I currently have in my 360 magnum the 380HP crate cam which is .230"/.234" @.050",.501"/.513" lift on a 108 centerline.

I was going to regrind to 235"/240" @.050", .540"/.545" on a 108 centerline.

Is it worth the upgrade or not? I have the Hughes EQ heads with 2.02 intake valves and felpro 1008 head gaskets, eddy rpm airgap,750 DP, A904 w/ 3000 stall, 4:10 suregrip. I know I have to watch the lift with these heads.

Tom

I don't think you are going to regrind that cam...as that higher lift is ground off the lobe already.....also the duration

What work has been done to the EQ heads?
Shortened valve guides for more lift?
Any porting done?

I ask because between the extra lift and the small duration increase, you’ll add a little power you’ll notice. It won’t be a lot but you’ll notice.

Otherwise I would not bother.

no porting but it does have shortened valve guides with the hughes spring and retainer kit.

What are you doing with this car/engine? Racing? Cruising? I agree; you'll add something modest to the torque & HP. That is about a 'step' in cam size.

It's a street car that I race about a dozen times a year. I try to drive it as much as I can in the spring, summer, and fall.

Measure your existing PV clearance, stock pistons have no valve reliefs and you will be adding duration and lift. Better to be safe than sorry. If a valve bounces with those heavy roller lifters at high RPM you need some wiggle room. .080 I and .1 E is a good margin.

throw some high ratio rockers on the intakes and see if it makes any difference
see my comment in the pushrod thread
do you want to increase the height of your rpmband, range or increase torque in your current range?

What work has been done to the EQ heads?
Shortened valve guides for more lift?
Any porting done?

I ask because between the extra lift and the small duration increase, you’ll add a little power you’ll notice. It won’t be a lot but you’ll notice.

Otherwise I would not bother.

It comes off the base circle. Grind down the closed side and the lift gets bigger.

throw some high ratio rockers on the intakes and see if it makes any difference
see my comment in the pushrod thread
do you want to increase the height of your rpmband, range or increase torque in your current range?

I'm looking for more torque. I shift at 6k now in the quarter, I think I'm fine with that for now

going to a longer duration usually gives you a higher rpm band and may give more HP
you loose low end torque
which means to get that or more torque back for launch and after shifts you have to run a looser converter and a lower gear or shorter tire
have you done everything with the existing combination-- ignition curve, carb tune, chassis etc??
360 magnum what year and compression
has it ever been rebuilt?
what's your cranking compression with the carb open?
if yo do still have a good working high (er) compression early 360 motor or the late lower compression one- makes a difference

I currently have in my 360 magnum the 380HP crate cam which is .230"/.234" @.050",.501"/.513" lift on a 108 centerline.

This same cam came in the 390 HP Magnum Crate and the Magnum Crate Stroker 402.
All 3 rated at 9:1 compression.
I don't know any thing about cam selection, but you may want to get away from what appears to be, this Generic Mopar money saver cam.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
do try the cam advance and post your cranking compression
if you want to keep your rpm range consider a solid lifter cam
IMHO your regrind will make more HP and except at the very low end will have more torque
but I doubt that it is worth the $$$ for new lifters and pushrods
you could retard your current cam and find out how it would affect your low end and see if you like it
measure twice- cut once
cheers
If you do want to consider solid drop me a PM

No way would I change it "just for that".

I don't think you are going to regrind that cam...as that higher lift is ground off the lobe already.....also the duration
I don't think that's correct? As I had my purple performance cam ground for longer duration and larger lift and then had it ground for shorter duration and shorter lift. They grind the base Circle to make the lob bigger..

I say run it like it is and if you don't like it grind the cam and try it again no big deal. I think it cost $79 to have the cam re ground and four or six bucks a piece for the lifters to be resurfaced...

There's a good chance after you run that cam for a while you'll want some other kind of grind anyways...

Personally I would not bother with a resurface considering shipping costs, I’d just get gem new.

Personally I would not bother with a resurface considering shipping costs, I’d just get gem new.
I can see your point for you but for me it's just a 20 minute drive that's worth its weight in gold to have the conversation with Ken at Oregon cam.

Is it a 20 minute drive to the people looking to have there cam re grounded

I think I'm just gonna keep the cam as is for now. Doesn't seem like I'm gonna get a huge bump for the amount of work. I'll just put my money towards other upgrades. Thanks for the opinions.

-
Back