is my car in any way special/rare or more valuable than any other? 70 340.

-
I have all 4 chrome wheels, but I'm waiting for the bolt adapters to show up for the back. I'm not into small wheels, sorry.. but that's a taste thing. You'd love the 24s on my truck. lol.

The billet wheels it came with do not fit right... the tires rub like crazy.

It gets a lot of attention though.. especially with the 292 purple shaft cam. VERY lumpy... it's a pretty aggressive engine for the street.
Nice Car!With the wheels?You.ll have to measure the backspacing to get a proper fit.Is the car tubbed,mini-tubbed?That era of Dart is hard to get some big meats under there without atleast a mini-tub.I advise frame connectors also,she,s gonna twist with that motor.It,s your car,do as you please,keep it safe and have fun!

Even without slicks, they will break front windshields, DAMHIK!

Might want to strongly gconsider connectors, The doors will start being hard to close, side windows not lining up, wind leaks.. it's all fun

Any recommendations on a set? The only ones that I saw wanted me cut holes in the floor pan. Not really into that.

LM23H 340..auto 5,004 built
3 speed 955 built
4 speed 4,423 built

Finally, a reasonable reply. Thank you... yes it was a 3speed, but a 4speed with twin disk has been installed instead.?

dude with production numbers like that i say put back to three speed...please
:read2:

ps i say this cuz im a three speed fan..do it how you want.

Nice Car!With the wheels?You.ll have to measure the backspacing to get a proper fit.Is the car tubbed,mini-tubbed?That era of Dart is hard to get some big meats under there without atleast a mini-tub.I advise frame connectors also,she,s gonna twist with that motor.It,s your car,do as you please,keep it safe and have fun!

No it is not mini tubbed. I'm running 255.35.20 in the rear at the moment. I used a 35mm offset wheel and bolt on 1" spacers.

The front did not require spacers, even with that offset.

i wouldn't care too much about resale value. i know there are a lot "tag" guys out there and they are probably cringing at this but i'm a firm believer in the "cut it up" way. I'll make mine how I want it and admire the stock restored or survior cars as great pieces of automotive history. My father once told me "it may be worth a lot of money, but you still have to find someone who's willing to pay that for it." So I'd say do what you want to it as long as you're happy.

And as far as the rear bumpers, i think for the rear you have to take the bumper off of the car to get to them. I think it's four bolts on the inside of the trunk/back side of bumper. Once you unbolt them you'll have to get some nice stainless bolts to put in there place becuase you'll have a hole there. They were an option on some years and then I think 73 they started to be installed on all because of the laws being made about low speed impacts.

i wouldn't care too much about resale value. i know there are a lot "tag" guys out there and they are probably cringing at this but i'm a firm believer in the "cut it up" way. I'll make mine how I want it and admire the stock restored or survior cars as great pieces of automotive history. My father once told me "it may be worth a lot of money, but you still have to find someone who's willing to pay that for it." So I'd say do what you want to it as long as you're happy.

And as far as the rear bumpers, i think for the rear you have to take the bumper off of the car to get to them. I think it's four bolts on the inside of the trunk/back side of bumper. Once you unbolt them you'll have to get some nice stainless bolts to put in there place becuase you'll have a hole there. They were an option on some years and then I think 73 they started to be installed on all because of the laws being made about low speed impacts.

Yes, you and I share the same reasoning. I definitely do admire survivor cars... but that being said, I wouldn't want one. I want a car that is faster, stops better, and handles better. I want something that I can say... I made that... that's why I bought it.

Thanks... that's what I thought... I was hoping to hear that I could do it with the bumper on... I might just wait until I start on the body work since I'm going to be modifying and re-chroming the rear bumper anyways.

Yes, you and I share the same reasoning. I definitely do admire survivor cars... but that being said, I wouldn't want one. I want a car that is faster, stops better, and handles better. I want something that I can say... I made that... that's why I bought it.

Thanks... that's what I thought... I was hoping to hear that I could do it with the bumper on... I might just wait until I start on the body work since I'm going to be modifying and re-chroming the rear bumper anyways.

couldn't have said it any better! I love restored, stock, survior, etc.... But I want mine how I want it and most importantly, i don't want to be afraid to drive it because I might degrade the value of it.....

Any recommendations on a set? The only ones that I saw wanted me cut holes in the floor pan. Not really into that.

Call John at US car tool. http://www.uscartool.com/

They have a set that contour to the floor pan. Some minor trimming is required, you weld the entire length to the under side of the pan. Nice strong piece when done and no cutting of the floor pan.

The muscle car market is weak right now in keeping with the rest of the economy but if the car was all put back together as it came from the factory, I would not see you getting much more than your 15K that you already have in it. Most guys that are going to extensively customize their cars start with a good, clean, straight body, but one that has a less desireable drivetrain from the factory. That way there are no tears shed altering a car that is rare and has much more intrinsic value, like a factory 340/383 car. Like 68383gts posted, there were less than a 1000 made of that exact model/configuration but it`s your car, you bought it and you should do what you want to do with it.

turn the car back to original but.. keep that blower that car is nice take the 20's off there gay and put some centerlines on and the car will be fine that thing is sweet the blower makes the car look nice

The mods you plan and how they will diminish the value of a factory 340 car is not "That is a matter of opinion."

This is why people normally use a normal Dart for such a thing...

I'm sure you will end up with a cool ride but please rethink the 20" wheels... Very bad idea... Like I said... Your car will be slower and corner worse with them being on there.

Low vehicle weight + super high unsprung weight + very thin contact patch = bad at everything.

As 68383GTS said there were 955 3 speed 340 Swingers built in 1970, so you have a rare one...however, once customized, rarity becomes a mute point for the most point. Poeple looking for a rare car would be turned off by the non stock additions. Like I said, if everyone built their cars the same way our hobby would be boring...and the aftermarket wouldn't exist. In my opinion, I would prefer to see a slant 6 car customized before a 340 car, but when your name is on the title, you call the shots.

The mods you plan and how they will diminish the value of a factory 340 car is not "That is a matter of opinion."

This is why people normally use a normal Dart for such a thing...

I'm sure you will end up with a cool ride but please rethink the 20" wheels... Very bad idea... Like I said... Your car will be slower and corner worse with them being on there.

Low vehicle weight + super high unsprung weight + very thin contact patch = bad at everything.

No I like the twenties. I have 6 vehicles, three with large wheels... I know what they are like.

If you like centerlines so much you can buy mine... Small bolt pattern with bias plys on the back.

No I like the twenties. I have 6 vehicles, three with large wheels... I know what they are like.

If you like centerlines so much you can buy mine... Small bolt pattern with bias plys on the back.

Never said I like your centerlines. I like smart choices that work. 20s are not a smart choice and they don't help the car do anything.

Like I said.... More money than brains. Good luck on your build.

Never said I like your centerlines. I like smart choices that work. 20s are not a smart choice and they don't help the car do anything.

Like I said.... More money than brains. Good luck on your build.

I like 20s because I think that they look better. I suppose you would not like the 24s on my truck?

4625_85051449453_516074453_1670262_5489118_n.jpg

There are other advantages... they are more responsive to steering input due to lack of sidewall flex... they will also allow me to install 16" brakes.

Sure I want my car to handle good... but above all else, I want to achieve a certain look... and that my friend, includes large 20" wheels... regardless of the changes to handling, etc. I like my wheels to fill the wheel arch, and it's also important for me that the rim tucks... something that you can't do with small wheels.

I am not building a race car... performance is very important to me, but you do need to make some sacrifices... otherwise we would all be driving stripped out cars with no sound deadening, heat, or interior. I mean... the extra weight hurts performance right?

I am quite intelligent actually... that's how I earned the lifestyle that I have now.

Yes, unsprung weight is very bad.... Sorry... I don't care how much you justify things... Good builds are good, bad builds are bad....

Again... More money than brains... What do you charge for an ounce?

i think you will get alot better handling out of some 17s or 18s rather than the 20s honestly im not sure how to remove the rubbers either but im sure if you looked into it, theres probably nothing to it. its your car do what you want to with it if you ever want to part with the blower let me know

Yes, unsprung weight is very bad.... Sorry... I don't care how much you justify things... Good builds are good, bad builds are bad....

Again... More money than brains... What do you charge for an ounce?

So basically what you are saying is that because you don't agree with my taste in style, I must not be very smart, and my build is "bad"?

What I will say is that your well thought out comments do depict your intelligence.

There is not a right way or a wrong way, there are just different ways. I don't like small wheels... but I don't tell people that they are wrong for having them... it is most definitely a taste issue.

I don't do or sell drugs. I'm own a Telecommunications company and subcontract to a major Canadian Telecom company. I also have a CNC machine and produce custom auto parts and made to order items.

If you need some Cat5e run or something, it's $72/hr plus materials.

i think you will get alot better handling out of some 17s or 18s rather than the 20s honestly im not sure how to remove the rubbers either but im sure if you looked into it, theres probably nothing to it. its your car do what you want to with it if you ever want to part with the blower let me know

I love the paint... looks great. I'm also going green... but probably a bit more pale.

What sort of paint do you have on there?

So basically what you are saying is that because you don't agree with my taste in style, I must not be very smart, and my build is "bad"?

No... I'm saying bad choices that detract not enhance vehicle performance are why your build is bad.

You will get zero traction with 20s, unsprung weight will actually make your car slower and less responsive. 16" brakes are also pointless on a car with a Darts vehicle weight.

Im not a purest... I don't think all cars should be 100% stock but when i see pointless I call it like it is.

Smart builds that I like...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53653&highlight=fish

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53074

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=58226

wohh wohh wohh, lets not get in a pissing match about taste here guys, everyone has a personal style, 1968formulas340, you have a very different taste, than pld0vr does, if you dont like the way he is doing his car, just ignore this thread, don't diss another guys car just because YOU dont like it, i personally think that it is kinda cool, there i have finished my rant

wohh wohh wohh, lets not get in a pissing match about taste here guys, everyone has a personal style, 1968formulas340, you have a very different taste, than pld0vr does, if you dont like the way he is doing his car, just ignore this thread, don't diss another guys car just because YOU dont like it, i personally think that it is kinda cool, there i have finished my rant

I guess i am a bit grumpy today. I will just stay out of this thread for now on.

-
Back