Is there a point you just replace the axles?

-

DrEamer

I suffer from cars on the brain!
Reaction score
My Challenger has not been on the road since somewhere in the early '90's from what I can tell. Most of that time has been stored inside, but I have talked to a couple of guys that had similar sitting time on rigs and the axles/bearing had flat spots when they went to use them. I don't know if that is a common problem. I am considering a narrower rear housing with a spring relocation, so my thought was just do everything at the same time, along with the gear change and limited slip/Sure grip upgrade.

The other option is going with a Furd 9 inch, since I can get the correct length housing fairly reasonably priced, and everything is new. Guidance appreciated.

Axles and bearings don’t get flat spots from sitting. That’s not even a thing. Now, tires can get flat spots from sitting.

Axles and bearings might get rusty spots, depending on how well they’re greased and the climate in your location and the cars level of exposure to moisture. Can happen on ring gears too, the “high” parts can develop rust since the oil all sits down low. If nothing moves then the oil doesn’t get stirred up and the gear and bearings don’t make a pass through the oil to keep the rust away.

Last edited:
What 72bluNblu said. I pulled an 8 3/4 from the wrecking yard. It was in a pile of rear ends. The breather was broken off and the open hole was facing up. it had been there for 2 years that I know of.
Not a single rust spot. There was oil still clinging to every face.

Axles and bearings don’t get flat spots from sitting. That’s not even a thing. Now, tires can get flat spots from sitting.

Axles and bearings might get rusty spots, depending on how well they’re greased and the climate in your location and the cars level of exposure to moisture. Can happen on ring gears too, the “high” parts can develop rust since the oil all sits down low. If nothing moves then the oil doesn’t get stirred up and the gear and bearings don’t make a pass through the oil to keep the rust away.

Thanks, that makes more sense then what was described to me. I guess I need to take apart the rear and see what I have going on.

Last edited:
Radials will get flat spots but will 'rebound' after a few miles. Your guy friends are ill informed.

For as long as your Challenger been sitting, you’ll need to replace the seals.

Yes
990C8721-678D-480A-B4F5-56548B9F0971.jpeg

Way back in my day we would paint a line on the axle from one end to the other, when it made 1 turn it was time to replace the axle.

Way back in my day we would paint a line on the axle from one end to the other, when it made 1 turn it was time to replace the axle.
I would have thought that you would swap axles from side to side until the line gets straight again???:lol:

Just a sticker saying “if you find me upside down roll me over and try again. “

Lol!
Unless a rear axle is under sea water for years on end- they pretty much don’t need much to put back on the road.

Last edited:
Pull it apart, inspect all of the bearings & races, check for rust on ring & pinion, check backlash on ring & pinion, replace seals, reassemble with new gear oil & take it for a spin.

-
Back