Issue with brand new truck. Advice on how to proceed?

-

65_valiant

Reaction score
Ok folks, here's the deal. On 11/25/2014 I bought a brand new 2014 Ram Express. I went into the dealership the Saturday before (11/22/14) and they didn't have anything on the lot that I wanted, and there wasn't one in the state that I could find that I wanted, so they dealer traded for one that had everything I wanted from Oklahoma.

I originally wanted to make a purchase that Saturday I went into the dealer, it was between a '14 F150 I found and liked at a lot across the street and the eventual Ram I ended up buying. The reason I bought the Ram was because they threw in a window tint and a set of steps at dealer cost and let me take one of their new trucks from the lot for the weekend if I agreed to wait till the few days on take delivery on Monday, and HERE is where it gets interesting...

I contacted the salesman just before 10AM Monday and checked in to see if they had made contact with the other dealer, he responded right away and said that they had already spoke around 9:30. Just before 11AM he replied again letting me know that the trade was worked out and they were just waiting on paperwork.

At 2pm he contacted me and said it would be better to take delivery early morning Tuesday, to which I said I wasn't interested in. He then said that if I wanted it that bad that he would stay till around 9PM, when the driver would be back and I could come in and pick it up.

At 6PM I sent a message asking him how the trip was going and got no reply, figuring he was busy and didn't have time to answer back I went up there at the agreed 9PM to find a locked lot gate and a ghost town for a dealership.

The following morning, and throughout the day we messaged back and forth, and finally at 4PM he told me the truck was there, so I went and picked it up, solely from them because there were zero other Rams within the area that I was interested in and didn't want to start all over again at another dealer.

Skip a few days and I notice a funny looking spot on the front drivers side of the hood, looking at it closer I could see sand marks that are clearly UNDER the clear coat. Thinking that this would have been a factory fubar, since it's a BRAND NEW truck, I took it into a different dealer since I was done dealing with the purchasing dealer.

The other dealer took some pictures and submitted a warranty repair request, and I was required to get a written estimate for cost of repair (Which seems odd to me). I took it back to the purchasing dealers body shop, with out informing the sales team, and they told me that the repair was definitely done POST factory as there was a visible tape line under the hood that does not exist from the factory. After the body shop looked it over and wrote the estimate, I went and talked to the sales manager about the issue. I asked if they had any knowledge of this and he denied knowing of any repair work done.

I heard back today from the other dealer that he had found some info about the truck. He said that the purchasing dealer got the truck on dealer trade, which I obviously already knew, and that the repair work was done by the purchasing dealer.
Now, I haven't been able to speak with this dealer that relayed this info to me as it was a voicemail message.

How should I proceed with this? The purchasing dealer has already denied taking part in any repair work, and their own body shop said they didn't show any record of work done, but says it was definitely done after the factory. I'm sort of at a loss as to how there can be paint repair done and not mentioned to anyone. I didn't want to purchase a vehicle with any repair work of this sort, other wise I would have purchased a year or two old truck used.

So... sorry about the long winded post, but any ideas?

If it was found the same week of sale, most states have a law for return for all money back. At this time as said before lawyer or get Dodge district rep involved.

Attorney.
Sadly this will probably be your only recourse.....but you have to ask if it will be worth the $$ it is going to cost. May cost more to pay the attorney then to just pay for it out of your own pocket....

So what do you want done? Even new cars get scratched while being shipped around. That spot is still covered under your factory warranty. If you are unhappy make a warranty claim and have it fixed. You won't get a replacement truck from a paint blemish.

Live with it or tell them to fix it.

So what do you want done? Even new cars get scratched while being shipped around. That spot is still covered under your factory warranty. If you are unhappy make a warranty claim and have it fixed. You won't get a replacement truck from a paint blemish.

That's absolutly incorrect. Factory warranty covers factory defects. This is a POST (after) factory repair by the dealer after dealer trade that was not only not disclosed to me, but also lied about when asked.
I called into customer support and should be hearing back Monday, I will also contact legal representation Monday as well.

That's absolutly incorrect. Factory warranty covers factory defects. This is a POST (after) factory repair by the dealer after dealer trade that was not only not disclosed to me, but also lied about when asked.
I called into customer support and should be hearing back Monday, I will also contact legal representation Monday as well.

No, it is not incorrect. The defect was there at the time of new car sale. Don't let them Bull sh$& you. This is a simple warranty claim.

I work for Ford and know exactly how this stuff works.

They could have sent it through under warranty no problems. I know when I worked for Benz they didn't have to disclose hurricane damage on new cars unless it exceeded 25% of value. As per Florida law as explained to me. Transit/lot damage occurs all the time.

Attorney.

'Merica!

If it was me I'd go and speak with the manager. Did you get anything paperwork wise from the other dealer? If so bring it in... Be able to back up what you say, cause without paperwork it's just something you've heard which could be true or not...

They should make it right and that normally means a fully painted hood. Go speak with your salesman and his manager. Most dealers will cover this as a happy customer is a good customer.

Riddler

When I was doing body work for a living, we had a contract with a local dealer.
Almost every Jeep Grand Cherokee came in with a dented / scratched hood from shipping on the carrier.
They were all touched up before the Jeep ever went on the lot.
Must have done at least 30 of them a year just from one dealership.

oh my joy in driving a 95 ram??! good luck!!!!!

I understand you wanting a new and perfect truck, and getting what you paid for.,, but if you drive it , the truck won't stay new looking. at least not around here.

No, it is not incorrect. The defect was there at the time of new car sale. Don't let them Bull sh$& you. This is a simple warranty claim.

I work for Ford and know exactly how this stuff works.

So I should have them resubmit a previously denied claim?

'Merica!

If it was me I'd go and speak with the manager. Did you get anything paperwork wise from the other dealer? If so bring it in... Be able to back up what you say, cause without paperwork it's just something you've heard which could be true or not...

They should make it right and that normally means a fully painted hood. Go speak with your salesman and his manager. Most dealers will cover this as a happy customer is a good customer.

Riddler

I have already spoken with the manager and he denied they did the work that was already done. I haven't gotten any paper work yet as I work away from home every other week. I'll be home this coming week late and plan to get everything together as needed if the talk doesn't go well on Monday.

Doesn't speak well so far for Chrysler and service. If this is how I'm treated now, I know exactly what will happen come time for a mechanical warranty repair.

Doesn't speak well so far for Chrysler and service. If this is how I'm treated now, I know exactly what will happen come time for a mechanical warranty repair.

EXACTLY!
And this is why I traded my 2013 Ram in after 27,000 km for a new Toyota.
Toyota service so far has been excellent.
:happy1:

866-726-4636

This is the 24 hour Ram customer service and warranty line. If your sales agent is not able to help make you happy by simply repairing an issue that was on the truck at time of delivery, then call this number. Its a warranty claim on an as delivered paint defect. They should be able to arrange the repair.

johnnymac2k6 has it right... get the dealer you bought it from to fix it. Any problems call Chrysler owner relations and meet with the area rep at the dealership to solve the problem. Let the dealer know you want satisfaction and your not going away until you get it repaired properly.

This^^^^^^

866-726-4636

This is the 24 hour Ram customer service and warranty line. If your sales agent is not able to help make you happy by simply repairing an issue that was on the truck at time of delivery, then call this number. Its a warranty claim on an as delivered paint defect. They should be able to arrange the repair.

I contacted them last night at that number and was informed that it has been escalated to a case manager and he/she will contact me Monday. I'm all for letting them make things right, but I have a feeling that since the dealer has already been worthless in the customer service, that this issue will grow. It has already had a repair claim submitted and subsequently denied based on the fact that there appears to be a record of the purchasing dealer doing the initial botched paint repair.

That being said, I haven't actually put hands, nor eyes, on any official paperwork showing a denied claim from corporate.

Maybe "purchasing dealer" is referring to the original dealer and not the dealer the OP purchased from.

Thing is this. SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE knows what happened to that truck. For them to act like they did not is dishonest.

Kitty and I bought her new 04 Escape in December of 03. We almost got one off the lot. I opened the door checking it out and the plastic trim on the door hit the front fender as the door opened, popping the trim off the door.

Dick Marcott's (RIP) son Adam was our salesman. He said "no, this ain't workin" jumped in the car and drove it around back. They didn't know what happened to it, but knew something did and they were not gonna hide it.

They didn't have another one on the lot like it, so he apologized, did a dealer search and found one. Although it was much more expensive than what we chose. Adam matched the price without question and it was there later that afternoon.

This whole thing to me sounds unscrupulous. I don't give a damn whether it is "just a scratch" or "just a warranty repair".

That said, the deal killer now is the fact that you have waited so DAMN LONG to do anything. That shows acceptance of the product. A new car is supposed to be just that. A new car. Anything less is not. But since you've waited so long, I think you're gonna have a long row to hoe to get anything done about it.

Thing is this. SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE knows what happened to that truck. For them to act like they did not is dishonest.

Kitty and I bought her new 04 Escape in December of 03. We almost got one off the lot. I opened the door checking it out and the plastic trim on the door hit the front fender as the door opened, popping the trim off the door.

Dick Marcott's (RIP) son Adam was our salesman. He said "no, this ain't workin" jumped in the car and drove it around back. They didn't know what happened to it, but knew something did and they were not gonna hide it.

They didn't have another one on the lot like it, so he apologized, did a dealer search and found one. Although it was much more expensive than what we chose. Adam matched the price without question and it was there later that afternoon.

This whole thing to me sounds unscrupulous. I don't give a damn whether it is "just a scratch" or "just a warranty repair".

That said, the deal killer now is the fact that you have waited so DAMN LONG to do anything. That shows acceptance of the product. A new car is supposed to be just that. A new car. Anything less is not. But since you've waited so long, I think you're gonna have a long row to hoe to get anything done about it.

I actually brought this to attention on EDIT: 12/2/2014, unfortunately my work took me out of state for half of December, and three weeks in jan. I have call logs and voice mail files to show that. It was just the last week in January that the body shop confirmed that it was not a factory defect/repair and it was without doubt done after the truck was off the transport truck. Yesterday was when the dealer I had submit the warranty request that said that he found out that the dealer that I purchased the truck from was the one that did the repair, in spite of their denial to any involvement or work performed.

Chrysler very well may tell me to eat it. It wouldn't surprise me after all that has already transpired. Which REALLY sucks because I planned on buying a Challenger a few, ok several, years down the road.

Time will tell, I'm just a customer and whether they realize it yet or not, I have the freedom to spend my money at any of the other competitors.

if you don't mind what dealership --so I will avoid them in the future, Lawrence

-
Back