Issues with Steering on 1965 Valiant V8

-

Maddog55

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a 65 Valiant 4 door with the 273 V8 last year. Car runs, but major steering issues. You can only turn wheel 3/4’s to the left and almost 2 full turns to the right. So when you want to make a left turn, you have to make a really wide turn or a K turn.

4 different old school mechanics have looked at both the Power steering box and the Pitman arm, and even when the box and arm are not engaged, and having the steering wheel centered, the arm doesn’t seat properly on the shaft of the steering box.

I’ve ordered a replacement box and arm, but both parts have been the same as the ones in the car. I don’t even know if the original steering box was Power or Manual. And if Manual, would it be any different regarding the arm fitting properly on the box shaft? It’s a shame, because the car is not rusted out and everything else is pretty solid. Attached are pics of the Pitman arm and the power steering box. I’d appreciate any assistance from anyone knowledgeable in the A body Mopars, specifically this car.

IMG_6090.jpeg

IMG_6089.jpeg

IMG_6086.jpeg

IMG_6088.jpeg

IMG_6087.jpeg

Hi,

I bought a 65 Valiant 4 door with the 273 V8 last year. Car runs, but major steering issues. You can only turn wheel 3/4’s to the left and almost 2 full turns to the right. So when you want to make a left turn, you have to make a really wide turn or a K turn.

4 different old school mechanics have looked at both the Power steering box and the Pitman arm, and even when the box and arm are not engaged, and having the steering wheel centered, the arm doesn’t seat properly on the shaft of the steering box.

I’ve ordered a replacement box and arm, but both parts have been the same as the ones in the car. I don’t even know if the original steering box was Power or Manual. And if Manual, would it be any different regarding the arm fitting properly on the box shaft? It’s a shame, because the car is not rusted out and everything else is pretty solid. Attached are pics of the Pitman arm and the power steering box. I’d appreciate any assistance from anyone knowledgeable in the A body Mopars, specifically this car.

View attachment 1716274657

View attachment 1716274658

View attachment 1716274659

View attachment 1716274660

View attachment 1716274661

IMG_6345.jpeg

Are your tie rod ends the same length? This could just be an alignment issue. Those power boxes are about 2 3/4 turns lock to lock…

With the pitman arm removed from the box go full left than count the wheel rotations to full right.
Next split that difference. The steering box should now be at center also called high point
The pitman arm has a master spline that will align with the master spline on the steering box.
As stated above now look to where the tires are pointed. If not straight ahead you will have to adjust the tie rod sleeves.This may require disconnecting the tie rod end till the left and right side are looking about the same.
Now you will have to set the proper toe in. I'm sure there are plenty of posts on how to set toe so I won't get into it.
Next will be checking the steering wheel to see if the master spline in the upper shaft matches the steering wheel master spline.Many times the steering wheel is forced on screwing these splines up. Now that's on a factory wheel.
Aftermarket steering wheels do not have a master spline.If everything is set you can set the aftermarket wheel to the straight ahead that requires moving a spline or 2 to get it straight while driving.
Last is checking the master spline on the lower steering shaft to see if it is aligned with the master spline on the steering box. Hope this helps.

^^Also in addition to above, it is possible to reassemble the steering coupler 1/2 turn off, making you believe the thing is off center, because the wheel will be upside down.^^

Would there be more than one type of Pitman arm with different angles, or are they all the same?

I spoke with 2 mechanics today who are working on the car and they said everything else checks out other than the arm.
Are your tie rod ends the same length? This could just be an alignment issue. Those power boxes are about 2 3/4 turns lock to lock…
should they both be the same length or should one be shorter?

there are several different arms, and many of them can be "made" to work, and all of them can "clocked" incorrectly (along with the shaft coupler, shaft, and wheel).

are you sure that you don't have something else binding-- ie the wrong center link and it's jammed into the oil pan in one direction. or a bent something or other and it's hitting the lower ball joint and preventing full travel?

Shorter, quicker version if it is still assembled: Turn the steering wheel 1-3/8 turns from left or right lock and hold, set the toe, then reclock the steering wheel on the shaft if needed.

I looked up the NAPA pitman arm and the 11758 I believe is incorrect if you scroll down and there is a list of applications most are 67 and later except for valiant which is 65-72 I believe this is a mistake. The other one is an RPC 20112 which I believe is correct as it is listed for A bodies 62-66. Napa price is $104.99 and Autozone lists it for $99.99. I looked at Rockauto and it appears they also have this application screwed up.

The steering box part number is correct for your application. The pitman arm 18758 also appears to be later A body application.

Shorter, quicker version if it is still assembled: Turn the steering wheel 1-3/8 turns from left or right lock and hold, set the toe, then reclock the steering wheel on the shaft if needed.
Most these girls are supposed to have a master spline (EDIT for the steering wheel) and you cannot reclock them, and should not have to. You want the box centered, the wheel centered, and if it "turns" then walk the tie rods over to get things centered.

Last edited:
Most these girls are supposed to have a master spline and you cannot reclock them, and should not have to. You want the box centered, the wheel centered, and if it "turns" then walk the tie rods over to get things centered.
The A body gear boxes have FOUR master splines and the pitman arm can be clocked in all four positions. Don't ask me why. I know not. lol

The A body gear boxes have FOUR master splines and the pitman arm can be clocked in all four positions. Don't ask me why. I know not. lol
Sorry Rusty I was talking about the wheel not the pitman

-
Back