It had to happen sometime!

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was on my way to the Pikes Peak International Speedway for the Hot Rod and Rumble Car show last Saturday morning. I am doing 65 in the right lane of the 2 lane interstate I25, 25 minutes into my 3 hour drive. I look in my rearview mirror and see headlights fast approaching, "he will go around" I thought. There were no other cars around us. Closer and closer he got, my brains said "he's not going around". I hit the gas and accelerated as much as my tired old 273 2bbl could muster and BAM!

He hit me square in the rear.

It felt like a 50mph hit. I started to slow and watched him to see what he was doing. After a quarter of a mile or more he finally started to pull over. I pulled over and LUCKLY I started my phones video recorder and got out. He said "I'm sorry can I pay you cash". I was still in a bit of shock over the whole thing and did not even look at my car yet. I expected to see the trunk lid crumpled 12" in, and the bumper and quarters wrinkled forward. I asked him what happened and he just stood there. I told him that I needed his insurance and he gave me more deer in the head light looks. Then I asked if he had insurance. He said yes and went to his car to get it. I followed and videoed his license plate......as he drove off!

Luckily on my video I got his full face from 2 feet away, he even said his name and I got a clear shot of his plate. I gave chase hopping my Dart was drivable. I lost sight of him and pulled over and called the Police. This entire encounter lasted maybe 2 minutes from hit to me pulling over.

after talking with the police I finally got to look at the damage...

Rear bumper was bent under the car, but not very much maybe an inch, the GT full face trunk panel was crushed in on the drivers side to the lock, the lower trim that goes around the panel on the drivers and pass side was damaged, the trunk would open but the key was stiff.

The gaps around the trunk were normal! I looked under at the unibody frame and could not see any distortions. Even the bumper gaps looked normal.

Either the hit had much less of a speed difference then it felt or they don't make them like they used to.

The Officer came back after looking at a service station where he thought he might have seen the car, he showed me a mugshot oin his tablet and asked if this was the guy. YEP that's him. The officer said we know him and where he lives etc. I'm not expecting to see a penny from the guy, but you never know.

The officer handed me the paperwork and I was on my way. Only 1 hour late to the show!

So here is where I am NOT posting a wanted ad. I will do that later, but I do need typical prices for some used parts. I looked on FB and the usual places but many of the trim parts are not available a lot of the time.

This is the list of parts I think I need based on what I have seen.

all parts should be... better than driver quality but less than show quality meaning paint on the trim can be missing or faded / dull but there should be minimul road rash or dents and deep scratched

1. 1967-1969 Dart left and right inner bumper brackets (the outer ones show no signs of damage)
  2. 1967 Dart Rear Bumper
  3. 1967-???? Trunk Lock
  4. 1967 Lower left and lower right GT trunk panel surround trim
  5. 1967 GT full trunk cover panel

PLEASE do not offer parts for sale here so Dad wont get upset! I'm just looking for typical part prices you may have seen in your travels in the last year.

The worst part is I can no longer say I'm the only member of the family who has not been driving the car when it has been in an accident.:(

Thanks all.
Dana

:( Sorry for your loss.Yeah it bound to happen sooner than later. Drugged up junky ?
I was at Monster Mopar in St. Louis and rig got broken into and robbed while at dinner with some friends.
Stole all my tools and trailer equipment,smashed RV door stole money,trashed the place and what ever they could carry.
Cops wrote it up and that was the end of that. Started walking the parking lot and was picking stuff up that the couldn't sell I guess.

well... boosville on that ****.

if that happened to me and wasn't made whole after the fact i don't know if i'd be able to contain my animus; and with a penchant for villainy that dude would be in for a hard time.

anyway, to the question at hand, i don't have any links but i've been seeing bumpers and brackets trading hands around 350 and i just saw rear panel the other day for 275.

above all else, glad that you were unharmed in the whole kerfuffle. what a F story.

Well **** man, that f-ing sucks for lack of a better expression. Glad to know you are ok though, highway collisions can be a bad bad thing. And good to know the cops are going to get this guy.
I dont know how insurance works in the US, but here in Canada, you would still be covered for the damages, and the insurance company would go after the other guy for the money they had to lay out. Hope you see some compensation.
Again, glad you are ok :)

Man, really feel bad for you and your car. I know it's close to your heart.

Awful sorry about this. You should go get checked out anyway. Some of these things don't show up right away.

So what do you think the popo will do , or the state . Here in FL that guy would get 10 grand even if he didn't have a license or insurance. And the state won't prosecute cause they know they can't get blood out of a turnip. On a side note Dana, I'll keep an eye out for a 67 parts car. :poke:
Glad you're alright , except for the whiplash you got from he impact.
200w.gif

Last edited:
I was on my way to the Pikes Peak International Speedway for the Hot Rod and Rumble Car show last Saturday morning. I am doing 65 in the right lane of the 2 lane interstate I25, 25 minutes into my 3 hour drive. I look in my rearview mirror and see headlights fast approaching, "he will go around" I thought. There were no other cars around us. Closer and closer he got, my brains said "he's not going around". I hit the gas and accelerated as much as my tired old 273 2bbl could muster and BAM!

He hit me square in the rear.

It felt like a 50mph hit. I started to slow and watched him to see what he was doing. After a quarter of a mile or more he finally started to pull over. I pulled over and LUCKLY I started my phones video recorder and got out. He said "I'm sorry can I pay you cash". I was still in a bit of shock over the whole thing and did not even look at my car yet. I expected to see the trunk lid crumpled 12" in, and the bumper and quarters wrinkled forward. I asked him what happened and he just stood there. I told him that I needed his insurance and he gave me more deer in the head light looks. Then I asked if he had insurance. He said yes and went to his car to get it. I followed and videoed his license plate......as he drove off!

Luckily on my video I got his full face from 2 feet away, he even said his name and I got a clear shot of his plate. I gave chase hopping my Dart was drivable. I lost sight of him and pulled over and called the Police. This entire encounter lasted maybe 2 minutes from hit to me pulling over.

after talking with the police I finally got to look at the damage...

Rear bumper was bent under the car, but not very much maybe an inch, the GT full face trunk panel was crushed in on the drivers side to the lock, the lower trim that goes around the panel on the drivers and pass side was damaged, the trunk would open but the key was stiff.

The gaps around the trunk were normal! I looked under at the unibody frame and could not see any distortions. Even the bumper gaps looked normal.

Either the hit had much less of a speed difference then it felt or they don't make them like they used to.

The Officer came back after looking at a service station where he thought he might have seen the car, he showed me a mugshot oin his tablet and asked if this was the guy. YEP that's him. The officer said we know him and where he lives etc. I'm not expecting to see a penny from the guy, but you never know.

The officer handed me the paperwork and I was on my way. Only 1 hour late to the show!

So here is where I am NOT posting a wanted ad. I will do that later, but I do need typical prices for some used parts. I looked on FB and the usual places but many of the trim parts are not available a lot of the time.

This is the list of parts I think I need based on what I have seen.

all parts should be... better than driver quality but less than show quality meaning paint on the trim can be missing or faded / dull but there should be minimul road rash or dents and deep scratched

1. 1967-1969 Dart left and right inner bumper brackets (the outer ones show no signs of damage)
  2. 1967 Dart Rear Bumper
  3. 1967-???? Trunk Lock
  4. 1967 Lower left and lower right GT trunk panel surround trim
  5. 1967 GT full trunk cover panel

PLEASE do not offer parts for sale here so Dad wont get upset! I'm just looking for typical part prices you may have seen in your travels in the last year.

The worst part is I can no longer say I'm the only member of the family who has not been driving the car when it has been in an accident.:(

Thanks all.
Dana
My wife had a similar thing happen 11pm at night on a 2 lane hiway at about 55mph no traffic, spun the car twice rolled the car twice ended up on its drivers side against a tree. The kid stayed and didn't run.

received_321190589595973 - Copy.jpeg

received_403087894328302.jpeg

received_182792357148787 - Copy.jpeg

I was just tell my family about this article.
I have always thought Colorado drivers were good. I grew up and learned to drive in So Cal, some crazy chit there.

But on my way home from PPIR I was hyper aware of how people were driving and there is some scarry chit out there!
And that's just the cars!

My wife had a similar thing happen 11pm at night on a 2 lane hiway at about 55mph no traffic, spun the car twice rolled the car twice ended up on its drivers side against a tree. The kid stayed and didn't run
Wow! The car protected her well it looks like.

Would not have liked being in the pass seat!

Your gonna fix it right? :poke:

Wow! The car protected her well it looks like.

Would not have liked being in the pass seat!

Your gonna fix it right? :poke:
Hell no, what sucks is I just spent a week of my spare time fixing the AC in the car. Her next car was a new Ford Maverick and 6 months into owning it she totaled it. The good part of that is she got more from the insurance company then she paid for it.

I have always thought Colorado drivers were good. I grew up and learned to drive in So Cal, some crazy chit there.

But on my way home from PPIR I was hyper aware of how people were driving and there is some scarry chit out there!
And that's just the cars!
When we moved here(20yrs ago). We were impressed how courteous the majority of the drivers were.
You could signal your turn signal merging onto I25 and people would move over and let you merge.
Ahhhhh, those were the days.
This was last Saturday at our exit on I25 at 1pm. You can see how the weather may have played a part.:realcrazy:

IMG_1745.png

Hell no, what sucks is I just spent a week of my spare time fixing the AC in the car
Had a mercury sable. Spent 4000 getting EVERYTHING fixed, trans, AC, a bunch of little things...

2 weeks later drove it from SoCal to Colorado and at just west of the tunnels on I70 spun a rod bearing.

Dana, this is why you need to run a front and rear dash cam in your vehicles, everything would be captured as evidence for the insurance claim and police report.

Sorry man, that sucks big time!

Are you wanting prices just for the insurance or hopefully someone will have something?

I don’t think I have 67 parts but… I found these…. which may have the stuff you need :)

IMG_8327.png

IMG_8328.png

IMG_8324.png

IMG_8325.png

IMG_8326.png

Hindsight`s 20-20 I know, should have just moved over to the left lane.
I know this stuff happens quick. I`d be sick if either of my classics got hit.
Good luck on the repairs.

My mom's 63 Impala, victim of a multi car crash on a southern california freeway, caused by a excessive speed hit and run driver.
Insured, including uninsured motorist, with Farmers for forty years, untold thousands of dollars. They paid not one thin f#@king dime.

20201023_141351.jpg

20201023_141345.jpg

How bad is the damage Dana
Mostly visual.

The trim took most of the damage, the bumper did a great job of stopping his car from going farther.

The bumper has scraps and sharp bends where the bumper brackets held tight.

Unfortunately the trim which is 3/8 inch or so away from the trunk sheet metal was pushed far enough into the trunk that the outward protruding sheet metal was flat from the center to the drivers side.

I was able to pop it back with 2 hits from a 5 pound rubber mallet and a 2x4 cut to match the factory contour.

I did not want to do too much and make it harder for a body shop to do it right if I ever get any funds from the driver

The hit really felt harder than it was.

What's so weird is I'm usually a eye for an eye kind of guy but I'm just meeeh about the whole thing.

I hope the guy gets the book thrown at him but I don't expect he will learn anything from this and will just keep doing this **** till he kills someone or himself

PXL_20240824_123136993.jpg
PXL_20240824_123143329.jpg
PXL_20240824_123153371.jpg

-
Back