It Never Rains In Southern California...Not True This Weekend!

-
Wind picked up quite a bit in the last hour. Rain is still consistent but much lighter than the last few hours. I had to pump down my pool to keep my backyard from flooding.
DA25475A-DA82-4474-BFC1-32D242944F8F.jpeg

I talked to a fellow from Cali at a funeral today. "A few inches of rain and 30 mph winds and we have a state wide disaster" I told him that's just a nice rain shower here! We both laughed!
:rofl:

I talked to a fellow from Cali at a funeral today. "A few inches of rain and 30 mph winds and we have a state wide disaster" I told him that's just a nice rain shower here! We both laughed!
This state is not used to getting this much water in this amount of time. We’ve had a years worth of rain in the last 8 hours.

Where are you at?
i'm SFV so somewhat insulated from the big wind. so it's been breezy but just constant steady rain with big 15~30min bursts of deluge.

sucks about having to pump on the pool, mine needed water so hopefully i'll come out net positive on this!

This state is not used to getting this much water in this amount of time. We’ve had a years worth of rain in the last 8 hours.
that's the key element that a lot of people fail to understand. they're like: oh 2" of rain, that's cute! we did that on tuesday!

it's more along the lines of how about y'all predict to drop 1/2 your annual rain fall in a 24hr period and see how the citizens react and how your city infrastructure holds up.

Hurricane Hilary made landfall today in California, quickly destroying cell phones and tens of thousands of emails upon her arrival, flooding everything.

"My house is fine, but my email server was annihilated due to the flooding," said San Diego resident Jim McKay. "Nature is so weird like that."

That brings sumthin else to mind. My old homeland in the desert Barstow is a major Santa Fe RR site. A 90 yr old bridge that crosses the tracks is going to be replaced. Just on the other side of that bridge is the mighty Mojave River, dry 90% of the time. A really wet winter in the mountains up stream could make that construction real interesting :rofl:

mojave.png

I think this was winter '21. There's only about 10' difference in the elevation between the river there and the track bed. That bridge I think remains in service I think with the new one just upstream of it.
1692653631860.png

There’s plenty of places IN California where that’s true also. Just not SoCal.

3” of rain and 30mph winds isn’t much of anything where I’m at.

Last edited:
filled the pool and the rain barrels are to the top, so i'll take the W on that. minimal water ingress shop wise just a little mop work. limited damage to crops-- beat up the corn pretty bad and knocked blooms off a bunch of other stuff.

ground is super saturated, so i'm hoping for a few hot days with no wind for the sake of the trees!

neighboring properties look a little worse for the wear, and i'll give my neighbor a hand with his downed trees. but no power line problems so that's a relief!

Hey Del Taco fans! Del Taco #1 is at the end of the bridge on the left. :lol: The store they call #1 now is actually #3. The very first one was about 10 miles away in the little town of Yermo next to the Marine Corps Supply Center. When they moved into Barstow, the first store couldn't have been but about 20'x20' with no indoor dining :lol: Current #1 was built right behind that one and the old one was demolished for added parking space.

1692695799933.png

You haven’t had a taco until you’ve had a Barstow Del Taco. Those who have know what I’m talking about.

You haven’t had a taco until you’ve had a Barstow Del Taco. Those who have know what I’m talking about.
is it the meth head ambiance or the drug deals at the drive thru window? cuz that's not only limited to The 'stow....

is it the meth head ambiance or the drug deals at the drive thru window? cuz that's not only limited to The 'stow....
That made me laugh. I was actually being serious. Because it’s their original location they take their tacos very serious. When you order one it looks like the picture on the menu. Fresh ingredients and care taken during preparation. Instead of one that looks like it’s been run over by a truck, like any other del taco.

I see you guys didn't get washed out to sea.
Were there any card board boxes floating down the streets.
Were they having gutter turd races in San Fran.
I'm glad you guys made it through safe.

Last edited:
I almost fergot :BangHead: The first little Del Taco in Barstow, once they built the big store behind it, the little place they turned to Del Fried Chicken :lol: It didn't last long, the company was far more interested in expanding than to keep Del Fried goin'. Naugles Tacos was a spin off chain that was started by a disgruntled Del Taco partner. Menus were almost a mirror image of each other.

I remember a naugles in lake forest when I lived there. Right across the street from a del taco. Like 150ft away. Menus were identical.

-
Back