It's Personal

-

madmacs

Reaction score
Hello
I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, learning how to get around the site and to generally get the hang of things, so it is time to say hello.

The project is a 68 Barracuda FB, 318 2 BBL, 904, console automatic. It’s blue and “rust colored.” It has the usual fender rot and Flintstones Floorboards, and generally had the poop run out of it before I ever got my hands on it. (it’s a fun car,no hard feelings there). Where it gets personal: this is my CAR. I bought this car back in 1974 and I did a fair amount of work on it back then, when It involved more pride than money. Ithas been parked on my father in law’s farm for close to 30 years, while I was pretending to be an adult. My father in law was very insistent that I not sell this car, he told me I would regret it. Illness and general distraction kept me away for awhile.

When I first laid eyes on this particular Plymouth model in 1963, I marveled at that huge, sloped back window and that area behind the back seat; kind of like a space ship to a 5 year old boy. I wondered what it would be like to hop back there and play? Twelve years later, I found out in my ‘68. Fold the back seat forward, drop the trunk panel backward, stretch out and look at the stars…… So, in a lot of ways this car is either my first love, or at the very minimum an accessory to the crime....:yawinkle:

I am not trying to put it back like it was in 1968, (can’t even imagine), but more to bring it back; to put it on the road again. There are some challenges. It is not “rust-free”, and I expect it hasn’t been so since around 68. It would be great if it was perfect, but it never was before, and I sure loved it back then. It went pretty fast, and I woke up the neighbors with the back tires a few times. So maybe I can drive it again? I have enjoyed all of the photos and the dialogue here, so I am hoping I am in the right place.

Welcome aboard. I've always regretted, over the good and bad, selling my 70 440-6 RR.

Welcome your father in law is right about regret if you would have sold the car. I sold my 69 GTS dart in 75 and my 67 formula S big block cuda in 89. I sure regret both. I have a 70 dart swinger that runs and looks pretty good. I also have a 67 cuda fb with a small block that's ruff that I have been trying to bring back to life. It is a lot of work but worth the effort.

Welcome your father in law is right about regret if you would have sold the car. I sold my 69 GTS dart in 75 and my 67 formula S big block cuda in 89. I sure regret both. I have a 70 dart swinger that runs and looks pretty good. I also have a 67 cuda fb with a small block that's ruff that I have been trying to bring back to life. It is a lot of work but worth the effort.
welcome. u did good to hang on to it,my first new car was a 68 barracuda fastback. regreted getting rid of it ever since. now bringing back a 68 resto mod. wlcome to the club again.----bob

Welcome to this great site from a neighbor to your south

Not much to show yet, but hopefully I captured what I see when I look at her. Since I have owned her for 38 years, I suppose I can't really blame anyone else for the door panel and dash mods.....:eek:ops: The Pioneer WILL play again, though, so it'll be worth it in the long run.

Attachments

• phone72713 195mod.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20130813_171645.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 188.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20130813_171718.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 144
I can't recall reading an opening post that hit me so close to home. :-D I've owned my '68 Fastback for over 22 years now and love it as much as you do yours. I'll be following your resurrection with interest. You have a great way with words!!

I can't recall reading an opening post that hit me so close to home. :-D I've owned my '68 Fastback for over 22 years now and love it as much as you do yours. I'll be following your resurrection with interest. You have a great way with words!!

:sign3:

sorry they don't have an "I'm with the mistress of metal" sign :p

I usually don't even post in the welcome thread but this one hit close to home for me too.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Welcome to FABO!
I loved the story too and it hit home with me, as i have done what you are starting to do with your car and for the same reasons.
Check out my build thread and you'll see what i'm saying.........

-
Back