I've had it with cheap Chinese trailer tires!

-
the problem is the CRAP tires that are made now. I have pulled 18 ft car trailers for decades. running 15 inch car tires. they never blew unless low on air. NOW days, finding a suitable 15 in tire for a trailer would be a struggle. sad but true.

The line of trailer tire I have been selling lately is the Towmax STRII made by Dynatrail. I always sell the highest load rating available for a given size.Load range D for an ST205/75R15 and load range E for a 225/75R15.
When going with 16" trailer tire I prefer to use an LT rated tire.I sell the Firestone Transforce H/T to several large local companies for long hauling and also use Sumitomo Encounter H/T LT tires as my stocking "budget" tire.

We do carry the Hercules line but I have not used their trailer tires yet.I may try a few and see how they perform.I have not been a fan of Hercules budget line of truck tires marketed under the Ironman name and have been reluctant to try their trailer tires.

For a heavy duty trailer tire in 235/85R16 Sailun makes a nice load range G that one of my customers uses hauling parade horses from Florida to New York.The best load range E tires were failing due to weight issues I believe but the Sailun has held up.

I have a set of Sailun 265/75/16's on my Ram D350. I never heard of them before, but they have been on for 5 years now.I am very pleased.

Load range G require a wheel to support the 110psi rating. Most aluminum trailer wheels meet this criteria.

I've asked time and time again from different vendors and so far all have agreed to run trailer tires at max psi.

As with vehicle tires you should run trailer tires depending on weight. For example, on 225/75r15 10 ply trailer tires, the max psi is 80psi per the load rating. However i would keep 60 psi in them for pulling empty and light loads. Then bump em up for heavy loads. Technically your suppose to adjust air pressure according to load. Running trailers empty at max psi is just going to wear the center of the tire.

truck weighs 6570.... we weighed total 17400, I'll air mine to max! payload rated at 2320 and max trailer 9300.... Once again I need a better tool for the job LOL!

I agree with post number 12.... In my opinion, I believe heat, and overall trailer load, is a huge factor in tire's blowing out, and a lot has to do with the manufacturer's way of building/designing these tire's. Along while ago, I heard through some people that because the Chinese were having issue's with how the overall chemical process was not working out (tires not coming out correctly) the US had to send several tire design tech's over there, to get the process straightened out, because of chemical insufficently's. Imagine that!!

We have numerous guys come into work that are pulling backhoes and heavy loads on their 235/85r16. The 10 ply lt truck tires just werent holding up. We sell gladiator 12 and 14 ply trailer tires. In the past 5 years maybe have had 3 come back. No telling how many we've installed

I work at a trailer manufacturer [boat trailers] we have used Goodyear and Maxis with no issues in the past, we did use Carlisle for a time [we called them "may pops"] we currently are using off brand bias steel belted tires and off brand radials [can't remember names] i can say that in the past the tires we got [from China] smelled like cow manure bad!! I don't think putting LT tires on a trailer is proper, tires for cars and trucks are built different [the side walls] so they are not interchangeable with trailers [i'm sure i'll get some one who will differ with me,i have only been in the trailer business for the last 20+years] Name brand trailer only tires, kept at the proper inflation,
1907949_736630789759007_7229780104181865054_n.jpg
on a properly loaded trailer should give you no problems!!

So, after speaking with several people, including heads-up racers that travel many thousands of miles every year with fully loaded trailers....

This is apparently the hands-down winner as far as they're all concerned: The Maxxis M8008. Many claim after switching away from other tires that these have been the only ones to hold up...

I've got four on the way....we'll see how it goes.

-
Back