Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
That would be the easiest & most economical way but I still cant help thinking that something on the new band is just not right. I just cant put a finger on it. I've never had any trouble with rear drum/band fitment. Sorry but that's not much consolation!
I'll call A&A tomorrow morning and see what they say before I trim the strut. ...

Jeff

Reference Tom Hand's book page 123. The explaination is sterling, which makes me think there is a descrepancy with the new band.

Have you tried the OEM band that came out of the trans when you first took it apart?
If you got it? try that one for fitment. Might be the anchor is bent or buggered up?

Have you tried the OEM band that came out of the trans when you first took it apart?
If you got it? try that one for fitment. Might be the anchor is bent or buggered up?
The oem band fit great...until it broke.....

Jeff

I just had this happen to me last week, where I swear I had the rear band in the anchor correctly, but could not get my low/reverse drum in because the band was pinching it. I have done a bunch of these and still had it happen. The notch in the band did not fully engage the flat piece of the stationary anchor, so it was basically not as loose as it should be when the small flat strut was put in the other side. I used an angled pick to hold up the flat part of the stationary anchor and the band clicked into place. Smooth sailing after that. I know you already checked it, but please check it again carefully. Also, your new band appears to have thicker lugs, so I agree with KickDown and oldkimmer that the band is not in the strut fully. KickDown's picture seams to show it sitting lower in that strut, although it could be the angle of the pictures or just the difference in bands, so I am not sure.

I just had this happen to me last week, where I swear I had the rear band in the anchor correctly, but could not get my low/reverse drum in because the band was pinching it. I have done a bunch of these and still had it happen. The notch in the band did not fully engage the flat piece of the stationary anchor, so it was basically not as loose as it should be when the small flat strut was put in the other side. I used an angled pick to hold up the flat part of the stationary anchor and the band clicked into place. Smooth sailing after that. I know you already checked it, but please check it again carefully. Also, your new band appears to have thicker lugs, so I agree with KickDown and oldkimmer that the band is not in the strut fully. KickDown's picture seams to show it sitting lower in that strut, although it could be the angle of the pictures or just the difference in bands, so I am not sure.
Glad I'm not the only one!
I'll go take a look at it again now......!

No luck......damn...

Jeff

Last edited:
Is the notch in the lug narrower on the new band? If so, it might not be seating all the way onto the anchor link cross bar even though it feels bottomed. Could the cross bar on the anchor, or the anchor link itself be slightly tweaked so the notch wont seat squarely? Maybe give the anchor link end of the band a good whack with a hammer and long screwdriver to make sure it's good and seated.

I ran into this problem once a few yrs. ago. The new band was just a little smaller diameter than the original. It set firmly in the stationary anchor but I couldn't quite get the strut in with the drum in place or the drum in with the band anchor in place. I trimmed the strut down approx. 1/8" and installed it. Been working fine ever since

I ran into this problem once a few yrs. ago. The new band was just a little smaller diameter than the original. It set firmly in the stationary anchor but I couldn't quite get the strut in with the drum in place or the drum in with the band anchor in place. I trimmed the strut down approx. 1/8" and installed it. Been working fine ever since
I'm thinking that's exactly what I have to do. ....

Jeff

That's probably the best idea Jeff. Logically thinking, if all the components (band anchor, strut, adjuster & apply lever) are the same as before the overhaul, then the problem can only be with the band itself. I would be tending towards manufacturing tolerances, where the band was manufactured at the absolute lower end of the permissable inside diameter & passed QC due to it being within tolerance. I have to deal with stuff like this at work every day. Now let me get to the shop & get that strut measurement for you!

That's probably the best idea Jeff. Logically thinking, if all the components (band anchor, strut, adjuster & apply lever) are the same as before the overhaul, then the problem can only be with the band itself. I would be tending towards manufacturing tolerances, where the band was manufactured at the absolute lower end of the permissable inside diameter & passed QC due to it being within tolerance. I have to deal with stuff like this at work every day. Now let me get to the shop & get that strut measurement for you!
OK.....thanks......mine was 1.322"

Jeff

Just got off the phone with A&A ....they said yes....just shorten the strut....stock is 1 5/16" so my strut is standard lenght.....
Looks like I'll machine it down about 1/8" inch like @fishy68 to do to his.....

Jeff

I scored a new spring retainer at a local transmission shop.....
Used - $2.00

image000001 (4).jpg

My old one wouldn't have failed if the lug on the band hadn't broke.....

Jeff

Just got back Jeff. I measured 2 band struts. Both came out at 1.323 inch. So yes I would shave the strut you have by about 1/8 inch. Personally I wouldn't take a chance on the new spring retainer. Weigh up 30 bucks against having to drop the pan again, showering in ATF & possibly having to get trailered home from the middle of nowhere. No argument!

Just got back Jeff. I measured 2 band struts. Both came out at 1.323 inch. So yes I would shave the strut you have by about 1/8 inch. Personally I wouldn't take a chance on the new spring retainer. Weigh up 30 bucks against having to drop the pan again, showering in ATF & possibly having to get trailered home from the middle of nowhere. No argument!
You really think even the billet alum retainer could have held back that piston once that lug broke off?

I still wonder WHY the lug broke in the first place.....?????

Jeff

Last edited:
-
Back