Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
Glad to hear you're back on your feet again Jeff. I've been battling against flu the past few days. Really knocked me out.
Well there is not really that much to the govenor. Just the govenor valve itself, the shaft & the inner & outer weight. Obviously all components must move freely in the housing. Scotch Brite & a blast of brake cleaner works wonders to remove glaze & any rough surfaces. Then working with the govenor, is the govenor plug in the valve body on the other side of the 1-2 shift valve. This also has to move freely with no hang ups. If you push the plug into the VB, it should spring back due to the spring on the 1-2 shift valve.
Here you go.
32120044we.jpg

Glad to hear you're back on your feet again Jeff. I've been battling against flu the past few days. Really knocked me out.
Well there is not really that much to the govenor. Just the govenor valve itself, the shaft & the inner & outer weight. Obviously all components must move freely in the housing. Scotch Brite & a blast of brake cleaner works wonders to remove glaze & any rough surfaces. Then working with the govenor, is the govenor plug in the valve body on the other side of the 1-2 shift valve. This also has to move freely with no hang ups. If you push the plug into the VB, it should spring back due to the spring on the 1-2 shift valve.
Here you go.
View attachment 1715153693
Thanks......I was feeling pretty bad for a few days there....hope you're doing better too!
I will definitely take a look at the govenor plug as well!
Somewhere, something is going to jump out and be that "ah-ha" moment and I'll have my answer. ....!
Cold, dark and raining here at 5am right now. ....gonna go out to the garage in a couple of hours. ....

Jeff

Wow.....could this mistake cause my shifting issue?
Shouldn't the tab be on the other side of the adjusting screw???
Would that cause me to not get 1st gear when in drive???

image000001.jpg

Jeff

Yep. You got it. Likely caused the broken band as well.... here is a pic of the earlier style. If you blow it up you can see how it should be.....

IMG_20170715_083130.jpg

Yes Jeff. The tab on the throttle lever should be on the other side of the adjusting screw head. That is likely the cause of your shift problem. Also what is more serious, is that with the lever tab on that side of the screw, you will not have an increase in throttle pressure as you depress the gas pedal. Certain death for a 727 in a very short time. Looks like you got it?

What would the death signs be like?
Only a couple of miles driven...never jumped on it or anything. ..
Even then, what, new clutches and steels?

So that would cause it to not start in first gear?

Jeff

Last edited:
Might not have caused quick death as the transmission is at full pressure all the time. This would cause unnecessarily hard shifts all the time though.

Kind of what I initially thought.... and full pressure might break the band.

However, I believe that lever pushes into the valve body to increase pressure. As it was I think it would have had minimum pressure...... or who knows as the spool valve would have been in no mans land...

Well, obviously I fixed the tab to the correct side....
You guys think i should put it back together and try it in the car?

Jeff

Yes, I do. If you still have an issue you can drop the valve body and pull the tail housing (to access the governor) in the car. If you havent already, make sure that you air check all of the circuits before final assembly!

Yes, I do. If you still have an issue you can drop the valve body and pull the tail housing (to access the governor) in the car. If you havent already, make sure that you air check all of the circuits before final assembly!
Ok.....I'll air check it today!

Jeff

So, with it corrected, does the throttle pressure shaft spring back if you push the lever aft?
Yes...it springs back.....
I set the large adjusting screw so there was 3/16" gap between the screw head and the tab...correct?

Jeff

With the tab on the throttle lever cam on the wrong side of the screw head, the cam cannot contact the Kick down valve. So like Dave stated in post 459, when you push the gas pedal down, the throttle lever cam pushes the kick down valve into the valve body against the throttle valve spring increasing line pressure. Without this increase in line pressure, the clamping force on the clutches is insufficient & under heavy acceleration the clutches will slip.
Check the weld on the throttle lever/cam. I've had a couple of these fail. Then the throttle lever will turn but the cam doesn't. If it checks out air pressure check the transmission & put the VB back in. I think you got it.

Last edited:
I decided, since the transmission is on my bench, to check for damage....specifically the clutches.
They still look PERFECT.
I figured if i did any damage like "burning up my transmission", they would be the parts to fail.....
Cheap insurance and only took a couple of minutes to check.....

I'm gonna put it all back together and get it in the car .....

Jeff

I decided, since the transmission is on my bench, to check for damage....specifically the clutches.
They still look PERFECT.
I figured if i did any damage like "burning up my transmission", they would be the parts to fail.....
Cheap insurance and only took a couple of minutes to check.....

I'm gonna put it all back together and get it in the car .....

Jeff
That just gave you the peace of mind to make you sleep good at night. Now get that thing together and go rip it. You should be good to go now. Thank you for your write up. I got to do mine soon its slipping and leaking.

That just gave you the peace of mind to make you sleep good at night. Now get that thing together and go rip it. You should be good to go now. Thank you for your write up. I got to do mine soon its slipping and leaking.
Will do!
And when it's all said and done, I'm going to write up a summary of what i learned....mistakes i made and all.....the good, the bad and the ugly.....

Should be on the road this coming weekend.

Jeff

That would definately cause your no downshift when you floor the gas because the cam cannot push against the kickdown valve.
But what about the condition of it not starting in first gear when I am in "D" (Drive)????

Jeff

Well Jeff, you have the 1-2 shift valve in correctly & it moves smoothly with no hang ups, I can imagine the wrongly located throttle lever you had could well cause other issues within other hydraulic circuits. There's only really one way to find out. Air pressure test the transmission to verify the operation of all actuating components. On page 142 of Carl Monroe's 727 Handbook is the correct procedure for doing this. If the air pressure test checks out ok & you still have an issue, the problem can only be in the VB & not in the hydraulic circuits in the trans case or sealing rings.

-
Back