Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
Well Jeff, you have the 1-2 shift valve in correctly & it moves smoothly with no hang ups, I can imagine the wrongly located throttle lever you had could well cause other issues within other hydraulic circuits. There's only really one way to find out. Air pressure test the transmission to verify the operation of all actuating components. On page 142 of Carl Monroe's 727 Handbook is the correct procedure for doing this. If the air pressure test checks out ok & you still have an issue, the problem can only be in the VB & not in the hydraulic circuits in the trans case or sealing rings.
OK.....I'll do a careful air check before buttoning it up.....
Thanks!

Jeff

I've never seen that happen to anyone but I'd bet that throttle lever boo boo could cause your problem Jeff. If the 1-2 shift valve moves free and the governor is assembled right and moves free you should be good

I've never seen that happen to anyone but I'd bet that throttle lever boo boo could cause your problem Jeff. If the 1-2 shift valve moves free and the governor is assembled right and moves free you should be good
Thanks!
I'm off today and starting a 3 day weekend. ...I'm gonna triple check a few things, get it back in the car and find out!

Jeff

I decided to go ahead and pull off the tailshaft housing and inspect the govenor. ....
This valve was not moving well at all....

image000001.jpg

Cleaned and polished a lot until it slides back and forth real nice...

image000001-2.jpg

That may well have been the problem with no first gear in drive...!!!!
Going back in.....

Jeff

My wife working the gas pedal while i verified the throttle pressure action.

Jeff

Looks great Jeff. That's how it should work. You can now see, with the tab on the throttle lever cam on the other side of the screw head there is no way the cam could contact the kick down valve. Good job!

Great job Jeff, this is great info for other people who would otherwise not even contemplate trying to rebuild a trans. I love how you have gone to the trouble of explaining where you went wrong too. It's going to be a great help.

Great job Jeff, this is great info for other people who would otherwise not even contemplate trying to rebuild a trans. I love how you have gone to the trouble of explaining where you went wrong too. It's going to be a great help.
Mistakes are more important than what you do right.....
I seldom learn anything getting it right the first time.

It's all buttoned up and back on the ground now.....gonna go get a couple gallons of trans fluid this morning and see how it works!

Jeff

Test drive.....
It gets all 3 gears if I'm VERY easy on the pedal. ...but if i get on it at all, instantly to 2nd gear......and in 3rd, it feels very sluggish. ....

I don't get it......

Also, manually i can go through all 3 gears. .....

I don't get it. .....

Jeff

R u saying goes down from 3-2 with very little pedal, if so back off the tv linkage. It won’t shift up if u give it much pedal, same thing, back off the tv. Kim

R u saying goes down from 3-2 with very little pedal, if so back off the tv linkage. It won’t shift up if u give it much pedal, same thing, back off the tv. Kim
No.....not really getting any 3-2 kickdown. ....and i verified the action in the video above...

Don't give up now man. I'm sure with the guys on here you'll be able to sort it out soon, might take a little bit of effort but it's gonna be worth it....

I can’t remember, r u using a cable or mechanical linkage? U r loosing pressure somewhere.Is the line pressure at 0 turns? If so adjust it to 6 turns. Do a line pressure test. Of course a seal may be tweaked Kim

"Feels sluggish in third" implies to me tbat something is dragging. There is no reason that the car should feel any different in third than it did before the rebuild.

Both bands are released in third (direct drive). If one or both were adjusted too tight it could cause an issue.

They should be adjusted to different specs, you need an inch pound torque wrench to do them properly and should be turning the internals of the trans on the initial adjustment tightening in order to allow them to find their home.

Have you re-read the chapter 15 troubleshooting and testing section of the Carl Munroe TF Handbook on dragging? Of the possible culprits: Bands, line pressure, valve body. I'd be looking at the line pressures and then the valve body and that governor. I'd road test it shifting manually into all gears up and down, from easy to hard throttle, making note of shift quality. Then when leaving it in drive do the same thing. Know what it does under as many different scenarios. First thing a trans shop will want do I believe is check the pressures. There are many pressure tests to perform in order to know for certain where the issue lies. You have a gauge to check??

Last edited:
-
Back