Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
Well.....here's something I missed...
In the picture below, the ball on the rag on the right...
Where does that go and what would it cause if left out - found it on my bench....damn!

image000001 (5).jpg

Dropping the pan is a piece of cake because my new pan has a drain plug....I can have the valve body out in just a few minutes work...

Jeff

Last edited:
Here's where they go on a stock valve body.

View attachment 1715157803
It didn't come from in there...not a "check ball".....
It came out from one of those 3 valves.....
I remember when I took off that cover to expose the valves, it kinda just flopped out and I couldn't tell exactly where it came from.
I set it aside to ask about it and totally forgot.....

Jeff

Nothing on the instructions with the VB kit??
No.......no mention of that ball.....
It did say to only use 5 check balls (and where to put them) and when I opened it up there was already only 5 there.....
This one is a mystery ....

Jeff

Oh Boy... Jeff here's a couple 3 video's you might want to check out while having a cup of coffee..

Hope you get a handle on it.

It didn't come from in there...not a "check ball".....
It came out from one of those 3 valves.....
I remember when I took off that cover to expose the valves, it kinda just flopped out and I couldn't tell exactly where it came from.
I set it aside to ask about it and totally forgot.....

Jeff
If it's a 1/4 inch diameter ball it an only have come from inside the VB. There are no check balls behind any of the valves, not even after installation of the TF-2.

If it's a 1/4 inch diameter ball it an only have come from inside the VB. There are no check balls behind any of the valves, not even after installation of the TF-2.

Agreed. These were our findings also. No check balls in any valves. Only in the valve body

That would make more sence.

Ours had what appeared to be a TF1 or partial TF2 kit already installed.

Which made our valve body modifications more about checking their work rather than modifying.

Made it a lot easier

I was talking to someone who said it is part of the B&M shift kit the previous owner installed.....

Jeff
Jeff, this sent all the alarm bells off!!! I wasn't aware that a B&M shift kit had previously been installed. The B&M modifications to the valve body are surely conflicting with the TF-2 mods. Which would give you the goofy shift characteristics you are experiencing. As previously mentioned you need to start afresh with a known unmolested VB, do all the TF-2 mods & go from there. Make sure you source a VB that is compatible with the build date of your transmission.

I'll go one step further and suggest you put in an unmolested valve body and try it first before you modify it.

If you want any more of the instruction details let me know. FYI, you should be able to use any valve body crom a '69 to '79 or so non lock up 727 or 904. If you get an early one ('69 to '72 or so) you can add the part throttle kickdown parts from yours.

I might have one and would swap for your modified core if you want.

IMG_20180328_192547.jpg

-
Back