Jeff's 727 rebuild thread

-
I know the B&M shift kit i used 15 or so years ago was just a new plate, possibly something with one ball, cant remember, but there was a drilling procedure in the vb casting. It was a $40+/- kit, it actually sucked for shift quality. If you sourced a stock unmodified valve body there's no reason you couldn't just transfer the Transgo parts over and do all the other mods. Did you have to install a restrictor plug in the trans case or do any other mods to the case with the Transgo 2 kit??

I know the B&M shift kit i used 15 or so years ago was just a new plate, possibly something with one ball, cant remember, but there was a drilling procedure in the vb casting. It was a $40+/- kit, it actually sucked for shift quality. If you sourced a stock unmodified valve body there's no reason you couldn't just transfer the Transgo parts over and do all the other mods. Did you have to install a restrictor plug in the trans case or do any other mods to the case with the Transgo 2 kit??
Yes on the restrictor plug.....

Hope that can stay.....would be a PITA to remove!

Jeff

UPDATE
Working "pretty good" now. ....
Talking to a transmission guy i know, it was all in my throttle pressure linkage.
He told me "yes, you want it maxed-out at WOT, but you also want it to start moving as soon as you press on the gas."

So after tons of adjustments and test drives, more adjustments and more test drives...and more.....it is working MUCH better now.

It starts in first, goes through all 3 gears, it even kicks down now when I tromp on it.....
It doesn't have the neck-snapping 1-2 shift I was hoping for, but overall, pretty damn good.

That throttle pressure adjustment is fickle but VITAL.

I'll post up my summary of everything this weekend.

It's a damn car again - woohoo!

Jeff

Nice!!! That had to feel good!

Not to be a dick, but weren't folks saying to double check the throttle pressure adjustment about 10 pages ago?

Nice!!! That had to feel good!

Not to be a dick, but weren't folks saying to double check the throttle pressure adjustment about 10 pages ago?
Yes....but i now dissagree on the setting of it....
It's more than just max at WOT...

Jeff

Max position at wide open throttle works well with factory linkage and carb levers, because then it's also in a good position at idle and low throttle, automatically, due to the linkage being solid. Your aftermarket cable setup complicated things.
The good news is you got it sorted out and you can now enjoy it. You did a good job on this one, and ended up with an informative thread in the process. Congratulations on your first transmission build.

Max position at wide open throttle works well with factory linkage and carb levers, because then it's also in a good position at idle and low throttle, automatically, due to the linkage being solid. Your aftermarket cable setup complicated things.
The good news is you got it sorted out and you can now enjoy it. You did a good job on this one, and ended up with an informative thread in the process. Congratulations on your first transmission build.
Thank you!
There were a lot of lessons learned. ......I'll write them down shortly. ....

Jeff

Great to hear you nailed it Jeff! Yes the TP linkage/cable adjustment is very important. It can take a while before you get it right on.
Test & adjust is the key. You can set it up on installation to put you in a ball park area, then you have to fine tune between road tests to get it where it needs to be. It's impossible to generalise the adjustment because I have found that no 2 transmissions are the same, they all have their own adjustment, which I put down to manufacturing tolerances in a mass produced component like a transmission. Great news though & you now know more about the 727 than you ever did!!

Summary:

Or "how I'd do it differently"

First of all, I'd not order a single part until I had the transmission apart and inspected everything in it.
I'd count and measure the clutches and steels and order the exact right ones the first time.

Secondly, if you think the car is high enough off the ground, go higher...but be sure it's safe and secure. ..like the wheel cribs I built.

Replace everything you can while you're in there.....pulling a transmission is a fair amount of work. ...may as well while it's on the bench.

Buy Tom Hand's book and read it cover to cover twice before you start.

The large internal parts are pretty easy and hard to do wrong for the most part.....the valve body and adjustments are the tricky part...

Take LOTS of pictures. When I was young, we had to use film. It was expensive and cost more to have it developed. Digital cameras can take 600 pictures for free.

Buy Tom Hand's book and read it cover to cover twice before you start.

The throttle pressure or "KickDown" linkage and adjustment are critical. ....it can make an enormous difference in how EVERYTHING behaves.

There's more I'd add to this but it's early and i need more coffee.....

Have done this now, I would definitely do it again. ....the "Blackbox" that is an automatic transmission is no longer quite as mysterious to me.....I'm no expert by ANY means, but that's what we have some of you guys for!

And a big huge THANK YOU to everyone who helped me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

So Jeff did you wind up using the valve body you had or did you buy another one without the B&M shift kit.

You wouldn't think twice about rebuilding another obviously, and it'll go even better when you do. It did for me on my second trans rebuild of a 904 in my son's car. Pulling it and installing it in a 79 Cordoba sucked, the trans teardown and rebuild with Transgo kit was a cinch. And that thing worked great from the get go. Glad things worked out good for you, and congrats!

You wouldn't think twice about rebuilding another obviously, and it'll go even better when you do. It did for me on my second trans rebuild of a 904 in my son's car. Pulling it and installing it in a 79 Cordoba sucked, the trans teardown and rebuild with Transgo kit was a cinch. And that thing worked great from the get go. Glad things worked out good for you, and congrats!
Thank you!
Nope....not afraid of them at all now.....!

Jeff

-
Back