jimpys toy. 68 dart old bracket car.

-

jimpys toy

Reaction score
hi all. admins. and site people. glad i found this site. it was ez to join. so thats good. anyways. i,m an older new member to this site. 60+ years old. and i,v been putting back together a old bracket car i,v had for many years. its been sitting in pcs for about 25 years now. kids talked me into trying to put it back together. so i worked on it over the winter. got a chance to take it over to a local drag strip for some test&tune. well it had a few problems. i figured there would be a few. fuel system problems. and the steering was kinda weird. anyways. it did run a [email protected] at the 8th mile mark, but then it shut off. fuel issues. it din,t hook up good ether. so i,m thinking theres a few 10ths lost there. but it was a ton of fun. brought back many memory's. but i was looking for steering box issues. repairs, that kind of stuff. when i found this site. i got some good info from here. and i,m sure this site saved me some money. so thks for that. and its good that there are sites out here like this one. years ago we din,t really have stuff like this. but now there is. its good to see people still building these old stovebolts. those were the days. care jim.

Welcome Jim! Sounds like a fun ride. Love to see some pics and a little more info when you have time. :thumleft:

Welcome! 7.20's in the eighth isn't too bad for first time out even with traction and fuel problems. What did it run back in it's early racing days?

Welcome to the site Jim ! Love to see a few pictures of the car .

hi all. i,ll try to reply to these post. 1st. i,ll get some pictures put together&post them pretty soon. or try too. i,ll have to figure out how to do that. i have the front end apart on the car right now. the K frames out, and i,m pretty much going through the front end. rebuilt the steering box, with help from this website. it needed it, and i found the steering problem. so it,ll be a few days to get it back together. waiting on a few parts. i was pretty happy about the 7.20 & mph time. i never expected it to do that. reason. years ago i used an old [racer brown 590 roller cam] in the motor. it was a good cam for its day. it used to run 11,0,s 120 mph with ported 915 heads. i wanted to slow it down a bit this time. i was thinking low 12,s would be fine. so i put a mild hyd cam into it. its a hughes brand cam. 555 L 569 E the 915,s are long gone. replaced them years ago with a pair of 62 286 casting max heads. but i never got the chance to use those heads. sold those to a fellow in the 90.s who needed them for a resto project. replaced those,s heads with a set of edelbrock alum O.C. heads. then everything kind of sat around since then. the last year or so, i,v been pcs,ing it back together. and its starting to come around.[ i don,t work very fast anymore] a quick list of what i,m useing now. 68 440 block 30 over. forged 11.5 ross pistons. stock LA rods shot pinned, polished. that stuff. arp bolts everywere. 68 steel crank. melodon oiling. SS pan. victor440 intake on the heads. cornwell billet rocker shafts.1.5 roller rockers. 850 d.p. carb. built 727 hughes 3500 stall converter. 9inch ford. 4.33. 31 spline moser axles. SS springs 002-003 moved inboard. 10.5 MT tires. i just went through the whole fuel system. replaceing everything, pump,regulator, lines, on&on. it was all bad, weak, bent or broke. i should of knew better. those parts don,t do well after sitting 25 years. bottom line. the car was,ent ready to test. but i,m thinking that cam must be a good one. never expected anything like that out of a hyd cam. i,m also thinking. this old girl might break the 10,s when its all dialed in. thats pretty cool. and it has been fun putting it back together. i,ll get some pictures up after the front end is back in place. also. i noticed this web site has parts for sale. i still have a bunch of old A body, mopar parts. race stuff. will see about moving some of it to a new home later on. thks again. very cool website. care jim.

Thanks for the reply about the early days, looks like it's still a solid 11 second car for the moment, estimating from that 7.20 run, my guess would be mid 11's. Hope you get the fuel and the hooking up problems sorted, be cool to hear what it really does.

Welcome! Totally cool that you kept that rascal. Go lay some rubber!

-
Back