John Force in a bad bad wreck today

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Lots of flames lots of flying parts and two hard hits to the left and right hand wall. He Looked pretty good and even sat up getting into the ambulance but he got a helicopter ride to the hospital. He said he’s very close to retirement a few weeks ago. Not sure if this will do it because he having a very good year but I’m thinking it won’t be long. He’s going to be one sore guy tomorrow. I recorded it to sent to a friend but it’s to hard to share videos here. Can’t YouTube it because it’s not mine.

Yes, I watched it yesterday a couple of times. I think someone mentioned the age thing in another post. I DO NOT agree on this one. What happened in that car regardless of age could have happened to anyone..!!! Wether or not it was there first pass ever or there last..!! Yes I agree he is probably getting close to retiring but I don’t think this crash is what does it..!! Swingn’

One of the most violent funny car crashes I've ever seen. The safety gear did it's job and by all indications John is going to be okay. The big topic of discussion is why the chutes didn't deploy when the engine came apart.

One of the most violent funny car crashes I've ever seen. The safety gear did it's job and by all indications John is going to be okay. The big topic of discussion is why the chutes didn't deploy when the engine came apart.
Don't the crew chiefs have a box so they pop the chutes if something goes wrong?

My wife watched the video with me and was amazed he wasn't killed. Prayers for a speedy recovery

One of the nastiest engine explosion/crash I've ever seen. Amazed he was as alert as he was and able to sit up on his own.
Yeah, he'll be sore today but this won't make him retire. He's too tough and loves racing so much.
Hope to see you back next week John...if your doctors say it's OK to drive.

Last edited:
That was brutal & hard to watch - doubt the 'chutes would have done much, but he may have been busy trying to aim the thing (while blinded) & whatever.
That impact with the left wall was about as bad as it gets.
Also hard to watch the reactions from the team mates without tearing up, but Force will know how much he is loved.
I doubt he'll let the wreck end his career - I'd bet he wants to retire on his terms - but the Doctors may want that.

He deep stages to do that. Very deep.
Deep staging, my left foot. I know a few people in their 70's and most of 'em can't go 0.002 seconds without falling asleep. Hell, 99.99% of the population can't hit a reaction time close to anything required for that level of competition. The closest I ever got to a reaction time like that was the first time I got laid.

I just hope the hospital isn't dumb enough to put him in a wheelchair. I can already see where that's headed.

Deep staging, my left foot. I know a few people in their 70's and most of 'em can't go 0.002 seconds without falling asleep. Hell, 99.99% of the population can't hit a reaction time close to anything required for that level of competition. The closest I ever got to a reaction time like that was the first time I got laid.

I just hope the hospital isn't dumb enough to put him in a wheelchair. I can already see where that's headed.

When you understand the staging process come on back. He gives up ET doing what he does and his crew chief hates it.

When you understand the staging process come on back. He gives up ET doing what he does and his crew chief hates it.
When you understand that I'm making comments about him being OLD, come on back.

lemme help ya
"How that man holds those RT's at that age is way over my head."

When you understand that I'm making comments about him being OLD, come on back.

lemme help ya
"How that man holds those RT's at that age is way over my head."

PBR told you EXACTLY how he does it. And how it pisses off his crew chiefs.

He deep stages. So deep he gets very close to red lighting.

Age has no bearing on deep staging, unless you can’t see bulbs.

Wow, now I have two of you proving how much slower they are than John Force.

I would say 70% of the winning / points championship winners at my local track deep stage. All different ages at that! I was struggling shallow staging when running on a 5/10ths pro tree : I was told by two very successful / big money winning drivers to go deep and stay deep .. I have and have been very successful ... I footbrake and can hold my own against trans brake /two step equipped cars with 60 ft times and R.T.s just as good or better than theirs by deep staging.... Wishing JF a speedy recovery !!!

IMG_0177.jpeg

Autos

Autoweek

NHRA Legend John Force Will Not Race This Week at Norwalk​

Mike Pryson
Wed, June 26, 2024 at 4:44 PM EDT·1 min read
john force nhra funny car

John Force Will Not Race This Week at NorwalkNHRA/National Dragster
NHRA legend and 16-time Funny Car champion John Force, hospitalized this week after a violent explosion and crash last weekend at the PlayNHRA Virginia Nationals, will not be racing this weekend at Norwalk, Ohio.
The 75-year-old Force is not on the entry list for the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals. And according to an NHRA spokesman who spoke with Autoweek on Wednesday, no replacement driver is entered to drive Force's Funny Car during the June 27-30 event.
John Force Racing's other two cars—the Top Fuel dragster of two-time Top Fuel champ Brittany Force and the Funny Car of Austin Prock—are entered and expected at the starting line when qualifying begins for the nitro machines on Friday at 6 p.m., at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park.
John Force Racing has yet to disclose the extent of any injuries that Force suffered in the incident.
Force, in pursuit of his 17th Funny Car championship and first since 2013, is currently second in the NHRA Mission Drag Racing Funny Car standings. Prock leads with 824 points, while Force is second with 693.

John Force Racing's other two cars—the Top Fuel dragster of two-time Top Fuel champ Brittany Force and the Funny Car of Austin Prock—are entered and expected at the starting line when qualifying begins for the nitro machines on Friday at 6 p.m., at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park.

Post on nhra.com this morning says Brittany will not compete next weekend in Norwalk as she will remain at the hospital in solidarity with her family for John.
Force has been transferred from the trauma ICU to the neuro ICU where the medical team can focus on his head injury which is their primary concern.

John Force improving, faces long road ahead; Brittany to sit out Norwalk race

-
Back