JR Dragster

-
It's the video games and phone I tell ya. lol
When I was a kid I couldn't wait to get on a dirt bike and drag cars. My dad and uncle got me hooked.
Didn't have jr dragster when I was a kid, but I did race motocross and short track starting at 12 years old, raced until I joined the corps at 18.
Drag racing started when I was old enough to drive

I think I’ve told this story before but it’s a good one.

When I was 6 years old, my dad stopped drag racing and bought a 650 twin Triump. They took off the lights and put knobbies on it and out to the woods they went.

We all had bicycles but no dirt bikes. I think my dad had been riding for about a year and he was getting ready to ride the next day, Sunday.

He wanted to drive over to the house of one of the guys going with him to get everything sorted out.

This guy lived in an unimproved road that had a big vacant lot next to his place.

So we are driving up the road and I look over into the field and there is this guys nephew, blasting around on some mini bike. A my size mini bike. I didn’t even know they existed at that point.

I went full on bat crap crazy. I realized you could ride a bike with a motor on it and never pedal that beeotch.

My dad didn’t let me ride it that day but I wanted to.

We couldn’t get home fast enough to tell my mom I wanted a dirt bike. Then my mom went nuts on my dad for letting me see the mini bike. He didn’t know it was going to be there. He was as surprised as I was.

My mom gave me the hard MO on a dirt bike. She almost divorced my dad over it she was so pissed.

I kept on my mom (my dad tapped out…he wasn’t taking that bullet) and by the summer after my third grade year I got my dirt bike.

My mom never went riding with us, and when we got older she wouldn’t watch us race. She didn’t watch us playing football either. She just worried in silence.

I was on a 125 Bultaco pursang at 12, last bike was a CR 500. I quit riding 15 years ago.

I started out on a 1973 Steens 100 with a Hodaka Ace 90 engine.

In 1976 I got my Super Rat and ride that until 1979 when I traded in the SR on a 1979 YZ 250 (what a hunk of garbage that turd was) for my dad and he gave me his 1977 Bultaco 250, which he had teed valved.

I quit for a time and then rode a 1982 Maico 250 and when I got tired of that I sold it to my cousin and bought his 1989 Cagiva WMX 250. My brother bought it new. I ride that until I bought my 2003 Gas Gas 250. That bike made me a much better rider. I started smoking guys who I couldn’t pass before that.

Then I bought my 2004 Maico 500. That was 2006. I ride that bike until I just couldn’t ride any more.

That was the best bike I ever owned. Very few places I wasn’t faster on the 500 than I was on the 250.

650 twin Triump
My dads last ride on a bike was on his Triumph 500 trophy trail, he wrecked while farting around racing me, all I remember was dad yelling, find my kneecap.
Thank god it was just a deep laceration and his kneecap was still intact.
My dad was a wild man in his 30's. well really until his death. he and my uncle were two peas in a pod.

My dads last ride on a bike was on his Triumph 500 trophy trail, he wrecked while farting around racing me, all I remember was dad yelling, find my kneecap.
Thank god it was just a deep laceration and his kneecap was still intact.
My dad was a wild man in his 30's. well really until his death. he and my uncle were two peas in a pod.

You KNOW it was a bad crash when you are looking for knee caps! OUCH!

I was happy to own a 20" bicycle when I was a kid.
I know you're right! I got all my sister's girl hand me down bikes, until I BEGGED my parents to buy an OLD 10 speed from the neighbor down the street for 40 bucks. I never had a new bike.

You can probably get a decent used Jr for $5-6,000.
The problem is your kid is going to love it and want to go faster like 7.90-8.90. lol
Which is fine. I just don’t want to dump 20-30k and him hate it

The juniors that race at our local track look like their grandparents are footing the bill. They all show up in box trailers pulled by monstrous motorhomes.

I was happy to own a 20" bicycle when I was a kid. I got a moped when I turned 14, but I had to pay for it.

Personally if I had kids they wouldn't be getting a dragster until they had learned a lot of mechanical skills and could really take care of it.

Tom
He’s been helping me with my dart and truck projects. At 8, he knows how an engine works and can set and use a torque wrench.

Which is fine. I just don’t want to dump 20-30k and him hate it
My kid, I look at it this way it's like running track with cheap sneakers.
You don't have to break the bank to get into a reliable fun unit with a Briggs

me and my son did it 25 years ago.was a 5 time track champ at mid america raceway in wentzvile.with over 50 wins.we no longer talk havent seen hm in 15 yeasr.hes been in and out of jail.lives on the street

me and my son did it 25 years ago.was a 5 time track champ at mid america raceway in wentzvile.with over 50 wins.we no longer talk havent seen hm in 15 yeasr.hes been in and out of jail.lives on the street

Damn. What a bummer. Sounds like a great kid got nailed by dope. Just incredibly sad.

Hate to hear that. Going thru similar with my brother. Going on year 5. He hooked up with a crazy chick that literally destroyed his life and tried to destroy the entire family in the process. Yet he’s too stupid to see it.

Prayers for your son

One of the guys that hangs out at our local airport supported his daughter in this for many years. I think she did quite well. It didn’t hurt that he is heavily involved in racing and motor development. I think it was a good confidence builder for her. There is an amazing amount of equipment and support out there from what he showed me. There is always used equipment in any kind of racing.
Many years ago. I went to Baytown Tx. My buddy was running his former 55 Belair drag car. BB Glide
For some reason the switched to 1/8 mile from 1/4 runs.

A little girl lined up next to him in a JR dragster she handed him his *** in the 1/8 mile run. It was top notch
No one let him forget it for a month or so. My my still reminds him now and then when he starts talking crap.

-
Back