Jump the Shark ?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
Has this hobby reached the "Jump the Shark" moment? Or is the anonymous seller just a shark?
20191026_084224.jpg
20191026_090657.jpg

The heat riser wasn't even that tight.

I see the same Insanity here. Same sellers year after year. I just don't know why they want to spend all that time and money bringing that junk back and forth to swap meet every year. And most of them go from swap meet to swap meet and never sell any of that...

If I didn't know any better it was almost the game between the different Mopar booths to say nana I got this and you can't have it unless you want to pay this ridiculous price...

Been watching the same non numbers matching, custom interior, hoopty’d up roadrunner for sale for the past few months at $41k. He was called out on his price at $42k, his answer....well, you gotta start somewhere!

Well, If its ask 1000, take 500 and make the buyer feel he got a deal, I can see that but for a G, that just scares away buyers. 400 for 68 manifolds is about right. Old X heads? Yeesh.....a G can get used Edelbricks, Or even W2s. Carry on.....

They are only worth what they sell for...otherwise they are just big heavy paperweights with a price tag on them.

It is unfortunate that all it takes is one impatient dude with a fat wallet to justify a stupid asking price. THEN the word gets out that this is the new standard and soon, other delusional guys are asking $300 for a 2 barrel iron 318 intake...

It is unfortunate that all it takes is one impatient dude with a fat wallet to justify a stupid asking price. THEN the word gets out that this is the new standard and soon, other delusional guys are asking $300 for a 2 barrel iron 318 intake...
But that new price will only persist for as long as people keep paying it. If they don’t...it won’t.

It’s just simple supply and demand economics. Ask whatever you want, but if it doesn’t sell...no demand at that price. The market is now, and always has been, self-regulated by simple supply and demand.

But that new price will only persist for as long as people keep paying it. If they don’t...it won’t.

It’s just simple supply and demand economics. Ask whatever you want, but if it doesn’t sell...no demand at that price. The market is now, and always has been, self-regulated by simple supply and demand.
Tell that to the hundreds of these ‘fishers for fools!’
This is prevalent on eBay. Dishonest people hoping for that one giant score.

I remember this get-rich-quick Wilson ____ investor guy claiming NY taxi drivers boasting about that one huge fare-vice making 3 times as much with more, small fares- where sales and trade could be similar, moving more merchandise vise instead trying to win the lotto with one epic sale.

I bet there is a demented psychology term for it.

I wonder if this type of mentality is related to the addiction of gambling.

I remember this get-rich-quick Wilson ____ investor guy claiming NY taxi drivers boasting about that one huge fare-vice making 3 times as much with more, small fares- where sales and trade could be similar, moving more merchandise vise instead trying to win the lotto with one epic sale.

But none of them will be successful unless a fool bites and pays. The buyer has the power, not the seller. They just ask.

But none of them will be successful unless a fool bites and pays. The buyer has the power, not the seller. They just ask.
What does that matter to the ignorant?

With no reference point

I started this hobby without any guidance, and paid too much a few times.

The people here have truly helped against it.

What does that matter to the ignorant?

With no reference point

I started this hobby without any guidance, and paid too much a few times.

The people here have truly helped against it.
You learned...and so will they. Unreasonable prices won’t persist.

You learned...and so will they. Unreasonable prices won’t persist.
I am not so sure. I have witnessed these 'unreasonable prices,' in this hobby for over a decade while in the Navy. I would pop up from deployment, and spend all my time searching ebay. I agree with you that the victims get bit once or twice and adjust, but there are billions of ignorant people-millions to potentially take the place of previous victims. Prices will drop when there is no more money to be spent.

And here you were the one who was googling over all these 15K priced cars on Facebook everybody know were scams. I don't even waste brain power on that stuff. I move along. That's part of the problem too. People always looking for screaming deals. They're the ones who easily get ripped off.

And here you were the one who was googling over all these 15K priced cars on Facebook everybody know were scams. I don't even waste brain power on that stuff. I move along. That's part of the problem too. People always looking for screaming deals. They're the ones who easily get ripped off.
How much did we get that charger for?

1 i wasn't going to buy those cars
2 i have seen a mint 68' black/black 440/833 R/T charger pop up from an estate sale for $20,000.
3 you are right about those are the people that get ripped off
4 you didn't pay top dollar for your mopar, but you are an EXPERT, few of us are in your league, some of us have to listen to the game on the radio, out on the parking lot
5 then why do SO MANY people keep listing those ridiculous craigslist add prices? same same

I am not so sure. I have witnessed these 'unreasonable prices,' in this hobby for over a decade while in the Navy. I would pop up from deployment, and spend all my time searching ebay. I agree with you that the victims get bit once or twice and adjust, but there are billions of ignorant people-millions to potentially take the place of previous victims. Prices will drop when there is no more money to be spent.
So what do you propose is to be done to fix it? Government regulation? New Laws?

I don’t have any suggestion other than to let the market self regulate and nothing more can be done.

So what do you propose is to be done to fix it? Government regulation? New Laws?

I don’t have any suggestion other than to let the market self regulate and nothing more can be done.
I doubt we can fix the human condition, although I heard China brainwashes certain religious people in a gawdawful attempt to 'fix' the human condition in rehabilitation camps. Good guys like you and Rusty had good, morale(sp?), parents for that.

-
Back