Jury is in..... Holley Street Dominator vs. Factory Cast

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not what I expected, and quite frankly, the very reason why I "try and go see". My thought was, if anything, the cast would offer a little more low end "off the line", and maybe the Holley SD would offer a little in the mph. I knew it would be close. But it went just the opposite. Holley SD cut a better 60 ft, a better 1/8 mile time, but mph went down, and lost 2 mph in the 1/4 and .08 in time. Here are the slips side by side. I know, they weren't run on the exact same day, and there was a slight head wind for the SD, but still, I don't think enough to cost the mph.

DSCN0908.JPG

Last edited:
I know you know this but...Two runs, on different days. Not enough data.
yeah, but both days had good temp/humidity. I think the biggest difference today had a slight head wind. Also, today they had a make up day so it was full full full!. I got 1 run, and didn't want to wait another 2 hrs for a 2nd. I may have been able to play with shift points a little with the different intake. I lost a little over 2 mph, and I don't think there was any making that up, regardless of days, shift points or anything else.

yeah, but both days had good temp/humidity. I think the biggest difference today had a slight head wind. Also, today they had a make up day so it was full full full!. I got 1 run, and didn't want to wait another 2 hrs for a 2nd. I may have been able to play with shift points a little with the different intake. I lost a little over 2 mph, and I don't think there was any making that up, regardless of days, shift points or anything else.
!st question is, is this intake heated...or are You using block-off gaskets?
2nd is, a head wind is nothing to discount?
3rd, w/o re-jetting, You're definitely cheating the aluminum intake if current jets are "on" for the iron combo..............I'm guessing no?

!st question is, is this intake heated...or are You using block-off gaskets?
2nd is, a head wind is nothing to discount?
3rd, w/o re-jetting, You're definitely cheating the aluminum intake if current jets are "on" for the iron combo..............I'm guessing no?
1st - heads are blocked off by carbon so no heat to either intake.... LOL
2nd - slight head wind, but some racers I know were not being affected by either mph or E.T.
3nd - Didn't re-jet..... for either intake. I do have 2 sizes bigger jets on the primary of the 670 Street Avenger.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is the "Tale All" of these two intakes. It was a simple project on my particular set up.

I know there's those nights when you don't even get two or three passes and nights that you can take 50 passes. it frustrates me when I can't get three passes pretty close to each other for a good night's comparison.
Looks like a legitimate reason to be out at the track to me! :thumbsup:
I think there's something to be said for the lighter weight...

I know there's those nights when you don't even get two or three passes and nights that you can take 50 passes. it frustrates me when I can't get three passes pretty close to each other for a good night's comparison.
Looks like a legitimate reason to be out at the track to me! :thumbsup:
I think there's something to be said for the lighter weight...
Great post! No way to really get things perfect. Even if you brought both intakes on the same day, the temp and humidity changes slightly and ooops, variation. So at some point, it's "either it has it or it don't". Both days I think I had pretty good air quality. And both intakes went 8 hundredths of each other. That didn't surprise me, but the way they did it surprised me. I thought just the opposite..... but it's why I'm bent on "go see" :D

Is there much of a difference in the seat of the pants and driveability ?

I like test like this, even though every car is different. Everyone can learn from this it's all about tune and test and dailing in your combo not bench racing.

LOL people have been telling me for years how good the stockers are, but they sure are heavy...........

Is there much of a difference in the seat of the pants and driveability ?

I like test like this, even though every car is different. Everyone can learn from this it's all about tune and test and dailing in your combo not bench racing.
Only thing I really noticed was there was more of a "hit" around 3600 rpms with the Holley SD. The cast intake must have been a smoother transition of power. I couldn't really feel anything off the line, or past the "hit". I can say the 33 lbs off the front was a "very slight" increase of ease to the manual steering :D
  • bottom line in my opinion, the Holley SD was a good buy for 30 bucks, but with 318 size ports (they are smaller than the eddy performer or the weiand action plus), I would not use it on a 340/360. But if it can be bought cheap, it's a great intake for a stock or very mild 318.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying this is the "Tale All" of these two intakes. It was a simple project on my particular set up.
Well, I meant to ask if the intake was heated in the original thread, .....here's why......
Al-u-minimum transfers heat much quicker, and retains much less in mass storage of thermal energy, so............follow.....
If the intake is close to eng. temp, the Al one will heat & richen the lower speed launch mixture over the iron one, ....but...
at the other end of the track the iron will have stayed warmer longer, whereas the al one will have "dumped" all of it's thermal energy sooner & is chilled.....
yes chilled is denser, but it is also leaner,....so..... richer on launch, leaner on the top end........make sense?
Oh, and now You have to try an LD4B on it, :p !, just sayin'!!

Well, I meant to ask if the intake was heated in the original thread, .....here's why......
Al-u-minimum transfers heat much quicker, and retains much less in mass storage of thermal energy, so............follow.....
If the intake is close to eng. temp, the Al one will heat & richen the lower speed launch mixture over the iron one, ....but...
at the other end of the track the iron will have stayed warmer longer, whereas the al one will have "dumped" all of it's thermal energy sooner & is chilled.....
yes chilled is denser, but it is also leaner,....so..... richer on launch, leaner on the top end........make sense?
Oh, and now You have to try an LD4B on it, :p !, just sayin'!!
Great point! Also, if you look at the pictures in the original thread, I had to use a 1 inch plastic spacer to mount the Holley on the Holley intake... LOL, but it was due the fuel pipe hitting an unused mount. I know I didn't use a lot of science for this, but it was fun and a nice snap shot of the overall picture
  • I do have another intake to try :D ... stay tuned!

318WR, you keep on playing with it... and what ever other stuff tweaks the interest!

I didn't want to play the poll game again cuz I'm still waiting for my car to land. Maybe it will come down in your backyard,lemmee know. It was mostly red when it left here.
LOL...... :rofl:

P.S. - that Duster is running lean. I plan (or hoping.. lol) on putting that one in the high 13's with only tweaking/or changing the carb :)

A small head wind drops my MPH by at least 1. Car is an aero brick. I also use the DA calc from Wallace Racing when comparing runs. Weather underground has data from local weather stations. I use one that is very close to my track. It updates current conditions every 3-5 minutes.

A small head wind drops my MPH by at least 1. Car is an aero brick. I also use the DA calc from Wallace Racing when comparing runs. Weather underground has data from local weather stations. I use one that is very close to my track. It updates current conditions every 3-5 minutes.
The thing that surprised me, is the car was already over 1 mph slower in the 1/8, but still cut a itsy teeny bit of a better time. It lost a little over another mph the last 1/8 as well, loosing 2.3 mph total
  • On a side note, most cars were running about a half tenth quicker than what the dial in was in their window. It was about 72 degrees and humidity was low. Head wind was inconsistent, and a little bit shifty. Maybe 5-7 mph winds when it picked up, may 1-2 when it was low....?????..... sometimes hitting the passenger side of the car, but most of the time the flags were blowing straight down the track.

You learn everytime you run it! Did you say you ran a 1" spacer on 1 intake and not the other? You can get a bunch out of the stock intake, but that being said I would KILL to take 30+lbs off the nose!

-
Back