Just a Note About New Lifters

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Pulled my new Hylift Johnson "made in USA" lifters apart yesterday. 3 of them had some corrosion. One was a lot worse than the other 2. Cleaned the oil off and soaked the bores in Evaporust overnight. They cleaned up pretty well. I was surprised to see them full of oil. Just the right amount, I guess.

Are you saying they were full of oil and corroded in the bores? Trying to understand what the problem was. Did Johnson add oil after corrosion set in because they were laying around in their shop.

There was a thread somewhere on here where someone confirmed Johnson lifters are made overseas now.

With all the trouble trying to get new lifters and cams to mate well, we have another problem thrown in. Glad to see you caught it before they were installed. I bought a new cam and lifters and I guess it pays to see the internals of the new lifters before installation.

With all the trouble trying to get new lifters and cams to mate well, we have another problem thrown in. Glad to see you caught it before they were installed. I bought a new cam and lifters and I guess it pays to see the internals of the new lifters before installation.
For what has been involved in this building process, I do not want to fall short at this point.

Last edited:
Also a lot of moisture in the Pacific Ocean

Salt Water Ocean, yeah that corrodes things.

1 mile off the Atlantic Ocean when in Florida, just the Ocean salt mist in the air will badly corrode and pit things real quick.

Anything bare steel is bad, tools and wrenches sitting around in the little tool shed all get rusty just from the salt in the air. In the shed under cover out of the rain.

Anything on a car body or a trailer with bare steel showing gets rusted and pitted bad. If it has paint on it, then it is fine because it is sealed and protected.

☆☆☆☆☆

With all the trouble mating up new lifters to new cams, have been wondering about setting up a bare short block and heads just to break in the cams?

Could find a way to pressurize the oiling system, run the cam with an electric motor to spin it. Run it without pistons so no pressure on the valve train, cam and lifters from the pressure of combustion.

Use very light valve springs on the valves to reduce strain on cam lobes.

Just easy pressure on the lifters and cam to polish the mating surfaces together, using plenty of oil pressure from an alternate source to keep things flushed clean and lubricated well.

Then when broke in well with no problems, then install the new cam and lifters in order into your new engine build.

And not having to worry about breaking in a cam, on first startup on a fresh tight engine.

Screenshot_20210728-170034_Gallery.jpg

Just thinking....

☆☆☆☆☆

That's such a good idea, Cam Research offers that service with their Cam King camshaft break in machine. Pretty cool.

-
Back