Just got my freshly painted grille back!!!

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Hey everyone just got my grille back. It has only taken 4 years.... The 1st business was doing the job in trade for some date coded glass of mine they put in some megamillionaires Mr. Norms Gss restoration. Thankfully that megamillionaire bought out that resto shop, and created a new "Hot Rod shop. The stand up crew he has there were nice enough to give me my unfinished grille back. So fast forward 3.5 years, I drop it off at my buddies custom motorcycle shop. He finally finished what the other shop never started, to the tune of a whopping $100.00. It looks awesome, all black epoxy, has a satin finish. Sweet!!!! Now I just need to finish the resto...ie polish the lens covers, and headlamp buckets and brush all of the stainless that i will reinstall. Yeah I said brush....no polishing for me...I want it to be different. So my question, which will also apply to my taillamps... what type of paint or even brand if you have something dialed in, do I use to paint inside the marker lamp bezels? ie the reflective rear portion of the lamps! 2nd question where is a good source for hardware, clips, push pins, springs etc to finalize my grille restomodification? Thanks everyone. I'll post some pics tomorrow!

I want pics! Sounds nice. I have heard of using spray bomb chrome paint on the reflectors. I think you can buy it at hardware stores. Maybe Duplicolor, Krylon, etc. I have heard of good results with it.

ok it is late but here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0211[1].jpg
    109 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0212[1].jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0216[1].jpg
    91 KB · Views: 356
Looks great but $100? That's crazy.

This cost $6 and took 35 minutes.

100_2113.jpg

looks nice...been working on mine as well...if you need parts I have extras of almost everything.....now pics of it on the car

wayne

Hey everyone just got my grille back. It has only taken 4 years.... The 1st business was doing the job in trade for some date coded glass of mine they put in some megamillionaires Mr. Norms Gss restoration. Thankfully that megamillionaire bought out that resto shop, and created a new "Hot Rod shop. The stand up crew he has there were nice enough to give me my unfinished grille back.

So if I understand this the rich guy got your glass and in exchange you got your unfinished part back? Sounds like that glass was still yours as the deal was renigged on. I would have stood next to the glass with a hammer and asked if they want to pay for YOUR glass or not.

So if I understand this the rich guy got your glass and in exchange you got your unfinished part back? Sounds like that glass was still yours as the deal was renigged on. I would have stood next to the glass with a hammer and asked if they want to pay for YOUR glass or not.
Cant hardly blame the megamillionaire...he probably wasnt even told. He paid his bills. Be kinda hard to go and talk to him about the deal now....he bought out the resto shop, and made it a Mr. Norms. There is a lesson to be learned....dont ever be a good guy. Insist on receipts, and proof that work is progressing. For 3 years this guy told me he was waiting on the trim polisher to return the trim. Turns out the trim probably never went out, the new shop did find it once, but have no idea where it got too. I am just grateful for getting my cherry original grille back, that took nearly 6 months of looking through stuff. Hell they were ebayin a bunch of junk, coulda lost it all for good. Hahahaha as for the $6 and 35 minutes..... sure looks like it doesnt it, thought the same thing as I was posting the pics. Couple of hours worth of tedious scotch briteing that grille in prep for paint, and I only wish I could buy epoxy for $6. It looks really nice in person. Now time to get off my butt and finish the little stuff, and install come spring! :happy1:

I'm not sure why some of you are dissing on 1968Formula's grille, it looks great to me. If you're talking about the jagged looking chrome lines, that's the photograph causing that.

Here's another $6 grille. It didn't take me 35 minutes, actually a few weeks in total. Masking took the longest, followed by the removal of black paint where chrome (brushed aluminum) should be. I'm happy with the results and it only cost me a can of paint and roll of painters tape.

Dan, where are the chrome trim pieces, were they painted black?

Attachments

• rsz_dart_4.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 222
No disrespect meant, but it looks to be all satin black.
Wheres the difficulty ?

The chrome trim never made it back....my uneducated guess. They restored a plain jane Duster for some guy in Chicago, nothing special just sentimental to the owner. I would lay money that my immaculate trim made it onto this guys car. Just an opinion, nothing to support that thjeory eyond 3 years of being strung along by a man that ended up being a no-good lyin piece of crap! Thanks for bursting my bubble, everytime I turn around this place just seems more and more elitist, you would think I was in an online forum for Auburns and Duesenburgs! It took 4 freakin years to get my grille done, in fact I didnt even see it for 3.5 years! I was kinda excited that I was supposed to have a piece of my car restored by a Nationally recognized shop, in exchange for some extra glass I had laying around! Sure anyone of you probably coulda restored my grille for a helluva lot less money than I spent....great I applaud your skills and out of the other side of my mouth I think screw you and your self righteous attitudes! I cant believe how elitiest some of you people can be....probably the same guys that dislike ebody and b body owners for looking down on our lowly a bodies. Thanks alot for your support....and to you gentlemen that had the class to say something nice. Thank you< I hope you realize that I dont lump you in with the rest of the classless jerks that thought it would be cool to beat down my grille. Dan

Dang guys cut the guy some slack. I don't see a problem with supporting a local business to paint his grille. He is happy and the shop is happy, big deal. Some of you guys are a$$holes sometimes. Grille looks great.

Dan......I agree with you.
Sometimes this site can be a little harsh. Just got to put your leather skin on at times, roll with the punches. It is what it is.
If you think this site is rough, sign up for a coulpe of the other Mopar sites. Thats all I'm going to say on that.

You will find that this site has the most helpful people on the Net:

And to prove it, I have the center emblem for your grille,and will send it to you free of charge. But before I send it to you, I will restore it.
If you need it,let me know.

JD

-
Back