k frame causeing wandering??

-
Just checking on the outside chance.....

You didn't ditch the box and mount a rack up front with
the spindles swapped and the steering arms pointing forward
did you?

Maybe not but I had to ask. That scenario will definately have
the symptoms you described.

When I built my car I got a real big washer & welded it over the holeon both sides of the K-memeber essentially producing a thicker surface to tolerate the abuse---no problem, so far.........

If the tires are mis-matched ( radials and biased) wander.
If the caster is off-wander.
If running over 100 mph ,using biased-wander.

I am having the same issue. Unfortunately I just finished replacing the lca bushings. Went from poly back to bonded rubber. The poly was a very loose fit on the pivot pin compared to the rubber. That was a very difficult job getting them pressed in. I didn't think to check the k member holes where the pins sit. Doh!!! Hand smacks forehead multiple times.:BangHead: Is there a way to verify if the problem is the k member without taking it all apart? Thought about using a small camera with a magnetic base so I could see what's happening when I'm driving. Anybody try this? It's gotten pretty bad especially when changing lanes.

They took an old torsion bar, layed it across the inner fenders, and drilled it and bolted it to the intake(where the carb was) to remove the load from the K. Then they dropped the K without removing the engine(they had a lift) and fixed the welds. The factory welds looked really underdone as I recall- like 3 spot welds around the tube
i would think you coule also use a front wheel drive engine hanger to hold the engine also.

The 340 K members with the washer in front welded and the 383k members had more welding and had more support and the tubes had a washer welded around it..you probably have a standard duty K Member (/6 or 318) @Jim Lusk ...fixes these with upgraded welding

If you go the tubular k member route send yours to Bondo Bob, he'll fix and make yours a semi tubular k for $400.00.

But it could be many other things, get the Mopar chassis book.
More info about the Bondo Bob mod please. Sounds interesting

yeah I recall the work to replace lcas etc. I had my K frame compol,etely off I dont recall checking the welds doh! however I suppose you wouldnt drop the K with the engine in the car without a support for the engine etc all makes sense.

-
Back