K frame Identification

-

drtybttr

Reaction score
Is this a slant 6 or a v8 k frame. I know it is the earlier non spool type.

58d6672860fa.jpg

this is a pretty old thread so i don't think the OP will mind but I pulled a K member from 72 duster. I went to the engine-swap website and still can identify which motor it goes to. After measuring everything it seems the only difference is the passenger side pedestal.

Is there only v8 and s6 K members?
Are the B/RB k members different from the 318/340 k members?
I currently have a 360 in the car with biscuit mounts. It seems if i twisted the biscuit mount 180 degrees on the bracket it might work as the
"center to center" measurement on the one i bout is 19" and the one i know that works is about 17.5. they are a little offset though as well.

My only real question is, "can i use this with my small block 360"?

K frame identification.jpeg

this is a pretty old thread so i don't think the OP will mind but I pulled a K member from 72 duster. I went to the engine-swap website and still can identify which motor it goes to. After measuring everything it seems the only difference is the passenger side pedestal.

Is there only v8 and s6 K members?
Are the B/RB k members different from the 318/340 k members?
I currently have a 360 in the car with biscuit mounts. It seems if i twisted the biscuit mount 180 degrees on the bracket it might work as the
"center to center" measurement on the one i bout is 19" and the one i know that works is about 17.5. they are a little offset though as well.

My only real question is, "can i use this with my small block 360"?

View attachment 1715042649
From what I can see of it, it looks like the lower K-member has a different idler arm bracket. If it uses a stud type idler, it's a '67 K-member. I wouldn't recommend using one of those due to the weak design and limited availability of those idlers.

That lower k frame might in fact be a 67 big block piece? If so it may have some value. Looks like borh mounts are in different locations. It is not a 6 cyl piece.

That lower k frame might in fact be a 67 big block piece? If so it may have some value. Looks like borh mounts are in different locations. It is not a 6 cyl piece.
Except that the BB A-body LH mount was way up front, as the insulator was bolted to the front of the block, and not the side like other applications.

The lower piece with the sway bar on it had a 360 mounted to it. It was originally off a 67 a body, you can tell because of the idler arm. I upgraded the steering so I had to go with the newer-ish style idler arm. The only real difference that I can measure is the passenger pedestal (where the engine mount bolts into) is about 1.5 further outboard than the one, (with the swaybar), was mounted. I am just wondering how to make the one with the better idler work with my 360.

The lower piece with the sway bar on it had a 360 mounted to it. It was originally off a 67 a body, you can tell because of the idler arm. I upgraded the steering so I had to go with the newer-ish style idler arm. The only real difference that I can measure is the passenger pedestal (where the engine mount bolts into) is about 1.5 further outboard than the one, (with the swaybar), was mounted. I am just wondering how to make the one with the better idler work with my 360.
The top K-member looks to be a stock '68-72 A-body piece from what I can see and remember. The bottom one looks like it may have been modified. By swapping in the upper in place of the lower, you'll probably have to get the stock 340 block brackets, or the Schumacher replacement versions.

-
Back