K frame install alignment?

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am about to weld my radiator core support into my 71 Duster and I'm installing my K frame to try to make sure the frame rails are as square as possible prior to the weld. My question is are there any alignment concerns to bolting up the K frame? I did not remove it, is is just metal to metal, no bushings I assume? I plan on removing the /6 torsion bars as a 340 will go in this eventually, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

the stock k member has holes which the bolts have a shoulder for, so anymore than that you are goign to have to measure yourself!

805moparkid,
Okay thanks. I just saw the 1 inch open hole in the K frame mount, didn't think about the shoulder on the bolt acting to locate the K frame. Thanks again, just being cautious!!

no problem! something else to think about is that if the car has been hit it may not be in the proper place...

805moparkid,
Yeah that is something to think about. Previous owner said he never could get the passengers fender quite right, upon tear down of the front end found the inner splash shield mangled and my body man has called for another drivers side fender saying I'd be money ahead...so don't know exactly how hard that collision was, guess I'll find out when I start re-assembly!!!

well you can do cross measurements from the firewall to core support and see how close it is.

IMO those are pretty useless, even those certain things are supposed to be in certain places thats not ever the case. Thats why i said he will have to spec everything if he wants to get into that far. Find the true centerlines and what not and see where everything falls. I had to do that when building my 65 cuz nothing was where it was supposed to be.

805moparkid,
Yeah that is something to think about. Previous owner said he never could get the passengers fender quite right, upon tear down of the front end found the inner splash shield mangled and my body man has called for another drivers side fender saying I'd be money ahead...so don't know exactly how hard that collision was, guess I'll find out when I start re-assembly!!!

If there is any doubt have it put on a frame machine that uses a laser. We have built quite a few late model wrecks and have found doing that pays off in the long run.

All,
Thanks for the suggestions, it did remind me that I do have the 3 book 1971 Chassis/Body series. First time I've cracked them open and yes there are dimensions given for Valiant which I think would work. I thought I was going to be able to mount this today, just spray some rust reformer on the bottom and outside frame rails, but OH NO, too much crud, out come the wire wheel and screw driver scraping begin!!

-
Back