K Tool Flaring kit

-

68coupe

Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations about K Tool double flaring tool kits? They have them on RockAuto. Is this the flaring tool used for flaring brake and fuel lines? I have two complete kits for copper on plumbing applications, but have no dies. Also, is this a different degree of flare than regular copper tubing?Thanks

A link would be helpful. There's bullions and bullions (so said Carl Sagan) of different flaring tools, some good, some bad

Never heard of k tool.but I do have a kd tools flaring kit.works great didn't cost a fortune,good hint- when using the double flare adapter lube the pocket around the centering stem with wd40 or a drop of oil.just makes the flaring a lot smoother and less forcefull

Double flares are 45° as are home gas tube flares if that's what you're asking.

I know nothing about them. I would lean more towards something I've heard of. Imperial, is one.

Maybe a better question is, "what are you" trying to flare? IE what kind of tube, and purpose?

Steel brake and cooler lines are 45* double flare

JIC is normally single flare, but frankly, I don't "like" the idea of single flaring something like standard steel brake tube with AN fittings

The double flare is to prevent splitting on the flare end. Especially on something which vibrates, such as I used to work on refrigeration, copper lines, we' run into leaks where some "cheap ***" mechanic had single flared a copper line---and it had split.

I have found that the cheaper brand double flaring tools are junk. They do not grip the tubes tight enough and they "walk" out of the "die" when you are trying to flare the tube. :violent1:

Spend the money and get a professional brand one; Snap-On, Mac, Etc. :thumleft:

They work much better and are worth the extra money. Believe me, when you are trying to flare the tubes and it keeps slipping down the tube instead of flaring the end, you'll wish that you took my advice.... :banghead:

I bought a snap-on and have been much more successful with my double flares. :D

Amen brother Karl. I have a Snap On flaring tool that's better than 30 years old. Lifetime warranty I ain't had to use yet.

I have found that the cheaper brand double flaring tools are junk. They do not grip the tubes tight enough and they "walk" out of the "die" when you are trying to flare the tube. :violent1:

Spend the money and get a professional brand one; Snap-On, Mac, Etc. :thumleft:

They work much better and are worth the extra money. Believe me, when you are trying to flare the tubes and it keeps slipping down the tube instead of flaring the end, you'll wish that you took my advice.... :banghead:

I bought a snap-on and have been much more successful with my double flares. :D

excellence in experience, some people need to learn properly . The "rent from the parts house fails...

I looked at a cheapo one at O'reilly's yesterday... the bevels around the holes weren't even close to round. Looked like someone in China had used an old 1/4" consumer drill with dull bits to open them up. Junk.....the only thing useful was the insturctions printed on the package.

I have a Rigid brand 37° AN/JIC flaring tool. If I ever find one for 45° flares I'll buy it.

Try to find the type that is a bunch of segments that clamp end to end rather than the more common type that is a pair of parallel bars with all of the holes on the same split-line. Over time the parallel bars bow in the middle and those holes in the middle allow the tube to slip. There is a version of this type, and it may be made by Rigid, where the flaring stirrup has a second threaded clamp designed to stop that spreading. Those may be OK, never used one. I have several sets of the type w/o that second screw, including one labeled "Blue Point", that have spread and are nearly worthless. Trying to straighten them is good for about one flare, and then they're bowed again. I keep them only for the double flaring dies.

...........find the type that is a bunch of segments that clamp end to end .

Imperial makes one of that type, as well. I'm sure there are others

41ujfCvseFL._SX342_.jpg

Yeah, like that! My Rigid is pretty similar in every feature except for the flaring handle.

It turns out, I had a pretty decent flaring bar made by New Britain. Don't know who made the cone press, it doesn't have a name on it. I knew that I didn't have the flaring adapters so I ordered a set from Summit Racing. They are hard as hell to find in their online catalog. If anyone needs replacements the part # is Sum-900310-1.

K tool is fairly new to the tool market, say 15yrs. Their tools still do carry a warranty. Also priced economically.

I agree with the others, if you're gonna get one, get a decent one. The cheap ones like the RA one just don't get it in my book.

I have a Snap On set as well as another one and they are both quality sets and have the dies.

-
Back