Keep breaking 3rd gear

-
Just curious, are you using the 307 (small) bearing case, or the 308 (large) bearing case ?

I'm with AJ thinking deflection.

True hemi 18 spline had large (30eight) bearing, and bronze bushed counter shaft,
and I believe the rear bearing in a "hemi" trans was small (307), I'll go check the "hemi" case I have, after breakfast.

thnx

Just curious, are you using the 307 (small) bearing case, or the 308 (large) bearing case ?

I'm with AJ thinking deflection.

True hemi 18 spline had large (30eight) bearing, and bronze bushed counter shaft,
and I believe the rear bearing in a "hemi" trans was small (307), I'll go check the "hemi" case I have, after breakfast.

thnx

All of mine have the 308 bearing, front and rear....I don't know what a bronze bushed counter shaft is. Never heard of it:scratch:

The solution for my transmission problem. A Passon 855. It is rated for 700 ft lbs. As a bonus, it has overdrive......Now waiting for the A body one to come out...

Attachments

• 5seedOD.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 343
  • 5speeds.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 332
Nothing wrong with what you bought, I'd love to have it.

But how is that stronger than the 833?

It should be much stronger. It was designed from scratch, with many improvements over the 833 .The quality of all the parts used are also much better than the 833. He rates it at a conservative 700 ft lbs of continuous torque. That is far greater than the 833 can handle. I kept easily breaking them at 650 ft lbs.......We will see. I will post impressions soon. Need to get past the break-in first.:burnout::burnout::burnout:

It should be much stronger. It was designed from scratch, with many improvements over the 833 .The quality of all the parts used are also much better than the 833. He rates it at a conservative 700 ft lbs of continuous torque. That is far greater than the 833 can handle. I kept easily breaking them at 650 ft lbs.......We will see. I will post impressions soon. Need to get past the break-in first.:burnout::burnout::burnout:

It's a nice piece for sure.

Hopes that is your fix.

Put one in, and drove the car about 50 miles today. All I can say is WOW!! First, it just slid in, just like it was a regular 833. It was like it was made for the car. Everything bolted up perfectly.

Driving impression:

So so smooth. No vibration. No noise. Shifts like a dream! Throws are nice and short. Shifts much nicer than any 833 I have ever shifted. And the overdrive! It makes it like a totally different car. The way it was before, I would drive about 2 hours, and be done. The noise and vibration just wore me out. I would be at 3000 rpm,s, just to cruise at 60 mph. That gets old quick. Now, about 1900-2000 rpm,s, at 60.

In my application, i think in time it might pay for itself. Less $9.00 gal race gas. Easier on my motor, especially valve springs.

After I get it broke-in, I will start to lean on it. I will report back then. Cant wait for the other cars to get theirs! I'm sure I will be driving my cars a lot more now....

Attachments

• od trans.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 292
How did you get your hands on a Passon 5 speed so quickly?

So you like the drama and did this thread because you knew they were coming

So you like the drama and did this thread because you knew they were coming

What!!!! I didn't know they were coming until 3 days before I got them. I was ready to get an American powertrain tremic 5 speed, when he called.

The drama, what do you think I'm a little kid or something? Go to the start of the post and read. It discusses my problem with breaking trans gears. Is this not what this site is for?

If you have nothing positive to contribute, then don't follow the thread........

What!!!! I didn't know they were coming until 3 days before I got them. I was ready to get an American powertrain tremic 5 speed, when he called.

The drama, what do you think I'm a little kid or something? Go to the start of the post and read. It discusses my problem with breaking trans gears. Is this not what this site is for?

If you have nothing positive to contribute, then don't follow the thread........

Sorry I shouldn't have said drama very bad choice of words but it did appear to be a coincidence the way it fell together for the good my apology

Sorry I shouldn't have said drama very bad choice of words but it did appear to be a coincidence the way it fell together for the good my apology

No worries!! It was a coincidence. My transmission broke again, and the ones I had on order for over four years came in...:D

So he is getting some out.....!!!!
I think just the E bodies for now. He said he is in the middle of testing the ones for the B body's now.

The trans are the same for B and E body,s. So I guess it,s the shifters that are being tested......

I have the fix for this problem coming soon! I will post pics, maybe this week. stay tuned!

Do you take 300 for the broken trans, including the broken clustergear. I'll pay for shipping.

After I got it strengthen, I will offer back to you for cost of new parts only (probably around 800). If you dont take it, I will offer here for A-body fellows, same cost; only requirement is he must have at least 700HP motor in his toy.

Abusive warranty. If it broke I will issue full refund, and pay for ship it back here.

FWI
I have a B/E tranny in my 68A. I had to move the shifter location rearwards, away from the dash. That's the only way to get a GearVendor under there. I really like the new shifter location.

-
Back