Keep it stock, or make it your own?

-
Grrrrrr. Lol
Some place in between lays a line that changes to the individual who owns the car.
I'm just in the in the mind set that of it looks factory correct, it's desirable to more people .
And I've lived that philosophy since I was 20 years old .
So I removed bullshit stereos people cut up the dssh to install a piece if crap radio
And if course cutting doors for stupid speakers etc.
I've never liked custom cars .
It's only to please one person .
And I've drug home way to many cars up and down the west coast and rebuilt them
I'm responsible for at least 6 cars that would be crushed and made into soup csbs if not for my diligence in correct concourse cars.
It actually hurts to see somebody destroy a car on a whim that comes and goes like the seasons .
I hope I'm not being an asshole trying to explain my experience and efforts towards the whole keep em on the road.
Make them wanted so there always taken care of.
Peace

Lol very humanatorian of you to think of your car being crushed and turned in to soup cans .
I drug more type two cudas up and down the west coast.
I personally an responsible for at least five or six cars still being cared for and loved for years to come .
Long after your soup can is opened and tossed like the garage it is.
U'll get it sometime somehow .
Eh well what do I care what you destroy, it's ur money big boy
Peace

So it is 5, or 6 cars you saved? Seems like you should actually know that.

And all 340 cars? Please. They're actually worth something original, performance options and all. How many /6 cars were crushed because they were slow, boring, completely original cars? Thousands. Not dozens, not hundreds, THOUSANDS. Heck you can still get original /6 A-bodies for cheap. I know, I've bought them that way. And if you leave them stock, they'll get crushed. Because very few people out there want an all original, numbers matching, no options /6 car.

So sure, get all chesty about the 5, or maybe 6, 340 cars you "saved" by putting them back to stock. News flash, no one was going to crush that '71 340 Challenger. I wonder how many of those other cars would actually have been crushed? Not many I bet. Maybe not restored to your Byzantine standards, but actually crushed? Not likely. I mean sure, 340 cars have absolutely been crushed. Lots of them. But for every 340 car crushed there were probably at least another 10 slant-6 cars crushed. So really, is leaving them original the best bet?

If you wanted to actually "save" stuff, you should have been doing V8 conversions on little old lady /6 cars. Could have done dozens for the time/money you spent on those 340 cars that very few people would actually have scrapped.

The part I find really interesting is after all this you think people are going to want to deal with you to buy your parts? Must be some pretty fancy stuff if someone is going to actually deal with you. I know I wouldn't, I don't care what you're selling.

Wow that guy is a grade a *** hat.

I wouldn't trade my car for 3 fully restored A bodys.

For one, it's a God dam A body.
Second a fully restored A body with drum brakes and the old red top battery, the wiring that wants to light the car on fire, stupid points, ballist resistor, exc....

Yeah my car is a race car and its "value" is pretty much zero BUT I love it and lots of folks who see it driving on the street get a HUGE kick out of seeing it.

My step dad is a Corvette guy and has a few that are "to nice to drive". I'm talking fully restored, nut and bolt restored original high value cars.

One a 69 big block four speed, black on black car that was fully restored years ago was pulled out a while ago for some reason. When we pulled the cover off the paint is FUCKED. it's all cracked.

I kinda laughed and said "ya know had you taken her out and drove her on the weekends or even driver her to work a few times a month you could have enjoyed the car and you would have been washing and waxing it. So maybe the paint would be chipped and such but as it is its screwed."

So yeah, I drive my car. Rusty quarter panels and all. The first day after my new engine went in some jerk hit my car in a parking lot and drove away while I was in the store, crushing my rear valance. As crappy as that was I still drive the car.

Better out on the road that sitting in my garage or stuck in the shop.

I’m doing frame rails in a piece of **** big block purple 70 Challenger RT. YUP, not too many people gonna crush those kind of cars.

Slant 6, 318........do what you want. They will never have a value to worry about.

And as for attitude from a new member, in a small tight group, we all don’t matter to him. The feeling is mutual. Parts better be pretty special and cheap. Or it’s off to craigslist.

Welcome to FABO micheal.

I have 2 (two) cars. 1 is a 75 Dart S/E 4 door. It stands on it's own. That car looks like it rolled out of the showroom. It's a survivor car and I'm not doing anything with it other than maintaining it.
The second is a 74 Duster that I bought from a member here. It's a /6 car, and heavily modified. Last I checked, my name is on the title and until that changes, I'll do whatever I want to it, when I want. If that means I paint polka dots all over, then that's what I'll do. If you don't like it, your head is attached to your neck and it'll turn. I'm neither asking for, or care about your opinion.
When I bought the car from said member, he had made modifications. I wasn't a fan of all of them, but that was something I was able to overcome. I modified his modifications.
Oh and Mr. Idontknowyourasz, I don't care that you think I should drop a 440 in it. It has a /6 in there for a reason, and I don't have to explain that reason to anyone. That goes for both cars.

Want to tell me how to build my cars, pay my bills. Got along for 72 years, several vehicles and never left one stock. Don't hire it done either. I'm a one stop shop. I do solicit advice and feedback from those who I respect.

Look, we ain't never gonna see eye to eye.
I'm glad ur daughter ( no boys huh?) Will keep it in her garage, wash wax clean maintain and care for your money your car.
Not a chance after ur *** is dies, the very next day she won't sell it for what ever anybody is willing to pay for "your money, your car" and go on a trip, buy her kids cars, u know, what normal people do .
And call it a day .
Let's just for kicks say she does?
What happens to "your money, your car"
Nothing, maybe some kid with a butt load of cash picks it up for peanuts and races it. Sure as **** ain't driving it.
It can only go in a straight line .
Yeah that's a whole bag of fun there.
Anyway u look at it. That car is in borrowed time .
Might as well go fill it up and try to take a few corners and hit it till u run into the back of the garage truck that's due to deal with it anyway. Cut out the middle man.
Now if it was a nice pretty original looking car, lots of people would love to own it.
And with that rest in peace your car will always be cared for and loved for as many years as I can imagine .
So I'm sorry you gotta have "your money your car" and I gotta have my cars cheap and desirable as I can
We both are idiots when it comes down to it .we both waste our time and money on old piece of **** American car's .
We both have the sickness that is car hobby restoration fools .
Oh my bad.
It's your money, your car.
Can't forget that can we .
I bet your daughter just cant understand why you do what you want with your money .so here we are
We gonna go back and forth over who is right? Lol man life is too short .
I'm done, won't respond if u do .
Have a nice night and take care ok?
Peace
Well, I'm glad you're not concerned about money or the value of these cars, because that's not the point of any of this. Stock or modifidied, not how much you flipped a car for. If I had my Grandmother's car (she liked Mopars) I would never sell that car, ever, and I would keep that one stock, a 78-79 LeBaron, maroon, big comfy seats and all. If she would have had the 68 Dart forever, that would have gotten the modified treatment.

See how easy that was, without patting myself on the back?

To me, every car is like a new canvas awaiting paint. Some get restored because that is what I see, some get big engines and fat tires because that is what I see. I like looking at either style because maybe I can pick up an idea for mine or see something I missed on mine. Because we are on this site (and others), it seems like everybody in the world must have a Mopar, but in reality we are a very small majority in the great scheme of things. We are only their caretakers for now...……...

And for our latest Rookie Nut Swinger.
Have a great day. :)

1973-plymouth-duster-pic-11834-1600x1200.jpeg

My car since I was 15, 56 years old today, my money, my way, changed the 67 fastback at least 4 times over the last 40 years, now it's just about the way I like it. I don't care about money and I don't care about anyone's opinion.
Opinions are like aholes, everyones got one ! lol if you get my drift.
Happy belated Birthday. I turned 56 as well.

Did a Resto mod before. Now doing something more period correct. Humble /6 beginnings but I can never leave anything alone. Always get the itch to change things up especially since it’s not rare Mopar.

Btw. Who let the fuckin TROLL (MG) in yesterday? Go back to Moparts.

LOL.
Sounds like he gotta a little to high on his Seattle coffee and designer (stock) drugs.........Punkass

I have only been a member of this forum for a little over a year, but I've noticed that there seems to be more "keep it all stock, all original" guys here than in other forums I participate in. (Except for maybe the Corvette forum, there are some seriously fanatical "keep it stock" guys over there.)
I have never owned a vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, snowmobile) that I did not modify in some way to make it better suited to me or to do what I wanted from it, better. I'm firmly in the "not-stock" group, and I have been my whole life.
I know there are some rare "numbers matching" low production cars that need to be kept as original as possible to maintain value, but collector cars aside, what would some of the reasons be to keep something pretty common all original?
Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with anyone who prefers a 100% stock original vehicle, and I can appreciate the effort it takes to maintain it that way. It just seems strange to me, and I'm trying to understand the appeal, not cause an argument.

I disagreed with your post because I've been here for the better part of a decade. There are FAR FAR FAR fewer "keep it stock" guys and gals here than any other forum I'm on, go to the E body forum or even the B body forums or better yet, go to Moparts. That's where you'll find a crap ton of those types. Heck, I'm building a pro-touring Dart and other than being kidded about the length of time and slow progress, nobody on here has ever had a negative thing to say about that build. Theres scores of customized rides on here that get HUGE support. Look of 76Orangewagon's 73 duster build for a prime example. Or Riddler's duster build or any of other numerous custom builds on here. This site is very supportive of those custom builds.

I do what I want, when I want, to all of my cars. But really, I’m too busy driving them most of the time to take them off the road for big changes. Just had this conversation yesterday as I’m selling my GTX, the guy asked what’s been changed on it, and in the 25 years I’ve owned it, honestly, not much. It’s too easy to just get in and beat the hell out of it and fix what breaks, if anything!

What cracks me up is that some posts in here, take this for example..."thats the way many boring *** mopar guys think. they are so freaking uptight.", eludes to the fact if someone chooses to keep a car stock they are boring and uptight while making the point that it is your car do it your way.

For the life of me I can't help but chuckle at the irony in that statement.

Here's a thought, each individual is entitled to do with their car and money what they choose.

With that said, if it's a rare car I would elect (most likely) to keep it original. If it's a cookie cutter /6 3 on the tree car with no collector value then I would probably do as I please..

It's all a matter of personal preference and we ALL would be better served to recognize that no matter what direction a person chooses to go in.

I don't care what people do with their cars. It's your money, time and personal taste. I like all muscle cars. From stock to modified. Hell I even like Ford's and GM cars. Mopar is my biggest love. Just give me a V8 and rwd.
I hate hearing people trashing people's cars at a car show. If you don't like what you see just move on and keep your mouth shut.

I don't care what people do with their cars. It's your money, time and personal taste. I like all muscle cars. From stock to modified. Hell I even like Ford's and GM cars. Mopar is my biggest love. Just give me a V8 and rwd.
I hate hearing people trashing people's cars at a car show. If you don't like what you see just move on and keep your mouth shut.
Agree.

Just keep your personal thoughts and guesses about someone to yourself (MG).
Your opinions fine.

D.

What cracks me up is that some posts in here, take this for example..."thats the way many boring *** mopar guys think. they are so freaking uptight.", eludes to the fact if someone chooses to keep a car stock they are boring and uptight while making the point that it is your car do it your way.

Here's a thought, each individual is entitled to do with their car and money what they choose.

With that said, if it's a rare car I would elect (most likely) to keep it original. If it's a cookie cutter /6 3 on the tree car with no collector value then I would probably do as I please..

It's all a matter of personal preference and we ALL would be better served to recognize that no matter what direction a person chooses to go in.
I did build my 75 slant six Duster MY way... Just happens that is as close to stock as I could get it, including keeping the slant. Someone actually pointed out to me that so many of these are changed, I was doing something different by keeping it stock. lol

I do like to see survivors preserved and better combos restored. That ain't my car. I just decided to glue the rust molecules back together similar to the way the factory placed them. :rofl:
Build what you want. :thumbsup:

I'm with do it your way, it's always up to the owner, who cares what others think. To many options even keep it stock with little personal touches. Both my classics are modified, my A body very much so lol and I'll drive it as often as I can. I like them all from stock to modified, I even like to see a /6 in cars cause it's different.

Well said

I am most definitely a make it your own type guy but I personally prefer a stock appearing car with modern performance standards. Like disk brakes and upgraded steering and suspension. All the safety stuff. But externally and interior wise I want my car to look original. I want it to look like a 70s car but not stop like one lol. I am not big into the big wheels and modern looking interiors but when done right they can look very nice but thats not what i want for my car.

Make it my own, it's a sedan (66 Valiant) and it's always been built to be have like a nice old MoPar.

I get excited when I find a original (stock) A-body because it has not been hacked up yet. I have bought a couple that old people have owned and garaged in amazing condition, and they are the best finds. I modified both cars because one was a 318 and one was a slant. Some of the 340-360 cars are rare and a nice piece of history. I would keep them original or keep modifications to a minium-just my opinion. I appreciate both ways!

4BFE7612-3327-413F-862C-907FAA27C63D.jpeg
I get excited when I find a original (stock) A-body because it has not been hacked up yet. I have bought a couple that old people have owned and garaged in amazing condition, and they are the best finds. I modified both cars because one was a 318 and one was a slant. Some of the 340-360 cars are rare and a nice piece of history. I would keep them original or keep modifications to a minium-just my opinion. I appreciate both ways!
That's one of the beautys of A-bodies. Prices still low enough that some of us poor guys can still afford the admission ticket into the hobby. AND not worry about screwing it up and losing your house.
at $10K total in, I proudly show it next to $100K+ builds.

O
View attachment 1715281990
That's one of the beautys of A-bodies. Prices still low enough that some of us poor guys can still afford the admission ticket into the hobby. AND not worry about screwing it up and losing your house.
at $10K total in, I proudly show it next to $100K+ builds.
One of the finest dusters iv seen! I like it a million times better than that crap shoot duster at sema!

From day 1, I knew this would be a heated debated!

This A body forum, due to the large number of slant cars lend itself to the custom build, if you call it that. Way more so that obviously the E and B sites. Mods to purists, we are lovers of our cars/hobby. I love a survivor car, be it a slant or hemi or max wedge or whatever. I love seeing a slant car made into a more spirited driving machine. I love looking at auto crafting, fabrication, restoration, and all in between. I do hate seeing a car restored and sitting under a car cover, never driven, and thus falling apart year after year!
Here s where to customized car gets hit. If it is offered for sale, not everyone will like what was done, but it change color or french the door handles. I do understand the new guy from Seattle and some of his remarks.
Me, I will make my cars as I like, if and when I sell, the buyer may not agree with my work, BUT he can buy it and make it as he wishes or nkeep looking. . I have a 71 slant Duster, stick car, I have done the metal work and it is 95% ready to block and PAINT> Tx car. It is still in original F3 green. I do not want to paint it! Wife loves B5 blue and hate F3 green! If I finish the paint, and it will be for sale, the prospective buyer will: 1. Hate the color 2. Whine about any blem I missed 3. Whine about, WHAT I is under the paint? 4. Not like the radio delete and missing antenna 5. I added under dash GAUGES!!!!! 6. etc etc etc..
So I bought it at fair price couple years ago, I do all the work, and when it sells I will not lose a dime. Never have in 35 years. I might not make a dime for my labor though!!!! lol

-
Back