Keep it stock, or make it your own?

-
I like the mostly stock look outside. But big n little rallys. Engine modified cam compression and gear. Add factory scoop rally mirrors etc...

It really depends on the car for me. There are certain cars that were very limited production that would be nice to have kept as history. (like say,winged cars or a 69 Charger 500) There are some cars that are still so complete and nice that it would be a shame to modify them. Most cars are just plain cars and should be suited to the owner with whatever modifications that owner sees fit. My Dad bought a 53 Chevy pickup new and several years ago decided he wanted to restore it. He went so far as ensuring that the boards in the box were yellow pine as it was from the factory. He had to get the yellow pine from the east coast. White pine is available locally and even though the box floor is painted, it needed to be yellow pine. The body was completely metal finished and I used true lead in the seams. I painted it with vintage enamel. The tires had to be Silvertown 7.00-16s, the same as were on it when he bought it. The plug wires had to be NOS with correct markings and so on. There are a lot of 47-53 Chevy pickups but there really aren't very many truly restored Chevy pickups which makes this one pretty cool. I've got a 64 Valiant convertible that I have kept as stock as possible and that is how I like it. Not a resto but more stock that what a lot of guys call "restorations". Also two 64 Barracudas that are anything but stock. So I'm of the school that you do to a car what you like!

Last edited:
The older guys who grew up with these cars like them the way they remember them.The younger enthusiasts see them differenttly.
The guys that restore them to original take a lot of heat for it.

Any Mopar I've ever owned has gotten the day 2 treatment, mag wheels, big tires, headers. I've always kept the body stock though. If I had a original hemi car I'd do the same, just keep it were it could always be put back stock.

Mine might be a bit different, I did the shackles, air shocks, headers, fat tires that didn't fit in the wells, change of colour, chrome engine parts, the whole Smokey Lake Speed shop effect when I was a kid in the late 70's. After my car sat in my garage for decades my tastes had changed and I now preferred and appreciated the factory look and wanted to eventually go back stock and when I found out it was one of the 72 Swinger 340 Specials I knew this car needed to go back as close to factory as I could make it. If it wasn't a rare car I'm pretty sure I would have upgraded a lot of the mechanicals to make it a better car. Like most have said thou make it yours so you'll get out and drive it, I can't wait until summer so I can get it out and have some fun.

The only car that I have that will be put back to stock is my 70 340 Challenger. I've owned it since 79, and the only thing I ever replaced on it was the alternator and brake pads. It's numbers matching, and all the bolt on do dads are date code correct. Back in the day, it had L60-15's on 8" Cragars on the back, and E60-15's on Cragars up front. I may put new Cragars on it with big tires, but I have the 15 x 7 Rallyes already restored and in boxes. Every other car I have will be modified to suit me and my wife! I am a firm believer in doing it your way!

I have always made all my cars my own with the mods I want to have. I did it 35 years ago, and I am still doing it today.

037ED181-AD7A-4B17-978E-96E9B3BFD2AF.jpeg

CC435D15-22C5-47A5-9B5C-3127FB7DD273.jpeg

thats the way many boring *** mopar guys think. they are so freaking uptight.

make the damn car your own and never look back is what i say.

you should check out moparts ... holy cow! the keep it stock nuts are a majority there...

Isn't Moparts where Mopar posers go to die....

Keep it stock, or make it your own?

When I lay the money down & then get the title in my name I have 'made it my own' at that point.

I do prefer returning any previous custom touches back to the original look most of the time, but I am not opposed to well done customized cars either.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has retired from selling a #'s matching A-body.
I think a modified A-body is worth more if done with taste.
My taste that is ! with good HP parts.

Just have watched Barrett Jackson, big money cars were mostly resto-mods.

Times are changing.

I like the day 2 look myself with mostly stock. Enjoy riding in something you have to drive and not sit in with total comfort. Course my current cars does come out but once a month or so.

One reason to keep original is when you go into parts stores it’s easier for the kid behind the counter to find your parts and no need for me to explain what I need. That being said, that’s not what I did! I made mine my own!

X2 on this! I have to keep a cheat sheet when I buy parts, so I can remember what year and model I got the parts from, so I can get the correct replacement. Last time I checked, I had stuff from nine different cars to remember. Haha, like that will happen.

And I'm with the majority on the original topic. It's your car, the only person who gets a say in how it turns out is you. Personally, I don't want a show car, trailer queen, or high dollar numbers car. I want one I can drive and enjoy without worrying about someone opening their car door into it at the grocery store.

My 73 duster back to stock! Oh my goodness no! Okay I'd like the AC.
Although I probably wouldn't have trouble finding takers for the swap! LOL

I TOTALLY agree with modifying. However, I lean towards what most people call a Resto Mod. I like the cars to look fairly stock, but different engines, engine bay bling, nicer interiors, digital gauges, more modern brakes and suspension etc are all cool. What I don't particularly care for is cars with big wings/spoilers, big hood scoops, 20" rims with 35 or 40 series tires and odd paint colors. That being said, to each their own. To restore a car to 100% accuracy would probably cost a lot.

I have said it many times but the most fun I ever had with a Mopar was a 72 340 car with minimal work done to it and drove the wheels off that thing. 3:23 gears and could just go, go, go. But I was young and not a dime to my name.

However if the funding was there it would have had immediate changes. That's how things go in my mind. People get an illusion that others really care about what you do to your car. If there is an interest the moment will vanish just about as quick as it came. The only reason I haven't hacked on my H-code car is if I found what I want or there abouts then someone else can have at it with this one and keep a fairly original car. But time is running out lol....

rumblefish360 says it best..... "your car, your way"

JW

I've got a numbers matching 340 Dart. When I got it many years ago it had some mods already done, but I went through the suspension, 1.03 bars better shocks and leaf springs, brakes and better bigger tires then came the engine which is still not done, putting in bigger cam, MSD fuel injection, I already did rings, bearings, pistons, converter, headers, intake and upgraded ignition and exhaust. The Dart rides light years better is way faster and a whole lot safer and it looks pretty stock on the outside but sounds awesome. Do what the hell you want its your'e car. Oh and I drive the wheels off it!

Jeff

I'll pretend you didn't mention whorevettse .
You know what a porcupine and a Corvette (first time I've ever spelled that wors) has in common?
A porcupine had the prick's on the outside.
Hate vetts.
Anyway.
Here is where I'm at.
I've owned over 15 classic Mopars, mostly 340 A-Body cars.
Some I built the way I wanted, others I had to keep original because they were to nice to ruin for my hobby.
Take this 69 340 convertible I'm doing.
Everything is number matching, I mean everything.
Motor tranny of course.
But the radiator,the the carb, the wheels, the distributor, everything I've checked is factory original parts.
How can I ruin what has lasted 50 year's because I want it my way?
I can't, I just can't.
This one has to stay original.
Now most 99% of cars are already in some sort of custom upgrades , with thith do whatever you want to them.
You get the luxury of doing what you want and save a bunch of cash.
So that's my ten cents worth. Lol
Hope it helps your delema.
Mopars rule!!!!

Stock, no way!

I still have allot to do so a Resto-Mod is my goal. Better suspension than stock RMS front and rear. Upgraded 727 with a fuel injected 512. 4 wheel disc brakes. What can I say?

Like one of the fast food places says, I will have it my way!

Your car, your money, do what pleases you.
I personally like stock appearing, but with ''day two'' type mods.
I've actually passed on quite a few cars over the years because they were either too original or too rare to modify to my tastes.
Whatever you do, take them out and drive them as much as you can is my thought process.

I built my 66 the way I would have ordered it if I had bought it new. It was factory 2bbl 273 auto and had no real value for resale. My 65 was not a mint car when I got it so I am building it to be like my dad`s was when I was a kid. I say make it your own.

-
Back