Kelsey Hayes disc brakes

-
In doing this conversion I have only had to do the following as far as parts go.

Switch out the spindle and brake assemblies.
Install the disc brake proportioning valve.
Change out the master cylinder for appropriate disc brake master cylinder.
Install new rubber brake lines.
Swap out steel brake lines as required.

U used a Manual drum mc pushrod on a manual disc mc

U used a Manual drum mc pushrod on a manual disc mc

I don't recall ever swapping push rods on any conversion I did. If for some reason you had to, just buy an adjustable push rod.

You are making this a whole lot more complicated than it is.

You can buy a proportioning valve with the lines from hemi71x. I consider the hard lines the biggest pain in the butt of the whole operation.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=292545

I just want to know what I'm going to need before I start because I'm not gonna hav my car tied up lookin for parts i need
When I do it I want to be able to do whole thing and not have to stop and wait for parts

So thanks to everybody 4 ur help

My old master cylinder is leaking and
I have a new disc /drum master cylinder .

If all the Kelsey Hayes master cylinders had the same part number can I use the disc/drum master on my drum/drum car as long as I don't change the proportioning valve to the disc proportioning valve until I do the swap

Last edited:
Yes. That was answered (in reverse) 2 yrs ago. The only functional difference in MC's is that drum MC's long ago had a "residual valve" in the outlet ports. But, unneeded since they redesigned wheel cylinder springs to support the rubber seal w/ metal end caps (sometimes formed from wound spring wire). Assuming your wheel cylinders have been replaced or rebuilt in the 50 yrs since (most likely), you don't need residual valves. The only other difference is the larger reservoir for the fronts, but won't hurt. Don't install the prop valve until you change to front disks.

So when i purchased my brakes they came of another 1969 dart custom
I received the following
Spindles with all hardware
Hubs with all hardware
Discs
Calipers with all hardware

My question is About the part that bolts to the spindle and has the lower ball joint in it that the outer tie rod goes into
I didn't get those when I received my brakes

Can I use the ones from my drum Brakes
Or do i need ones for discs

image.jpeg

The lower ball joint bolts are bigger than drum ball joints. You can use drum lower ball joints but will need drilled out to fit the spindle. Dustin

-
Back