Kelsey Hayes rotors

-
A follow-up to my last post, #25 (above). I did order and receive the rotors from Rock Auto. I received machined hats even though cast hats are shown in the listing on RA. These have the same problem, the diameter is too large and rub on the caliper seals. I have a large measuring caliper, 8", I bought from Amazon, its quite helpful for measuring these:

Amazon.com

Based on my measurements, the hat diameter is about .1300" too large, so at least at least .0650"or more would have to be taken off the hat, a bit more would probably be better, the set I recently cut down an a lathe I took off about .0800". I did notice these on RA

I'm getting tired of returning brake rotors, so if someone tries these, let us know if they fit without rubbing the seals.

I wonder if those are worth the price of admission too. One thing I was thinks is that ‘maybe’ the seals are not made to the same spec any more too. Perhaps they are larger?

I wonder if those are worth the price of admission too. One thing I was thinks is that ‘maybe’ the seals are not made to the same spec any more too. Perhaps they are larger?
If you look at his pictures, it's not just the seal contacting. The entire caliper is scraping the rotor. They are an interference fit. Definitely incorrect rotors.

If you look at his pictures, it's not just the seal contacting. The entire caliper is scraping the rotor. They are an interference fit. Definitely incorrect rotors.

Yes, the caliper tip is rubbing too. My theory is that people with project cars (like me), buy the parts but don't install them immediately. They sit on a shelf until needed and by that point they can't be returned. Add to that the difficulty of having to press out and press in the lugs, remount the assembly on the spindle, bolt on the calipers and then, only then, can you can really check the fit. If there are any newcomers to this issue, there is an earlier thread dealing with this unending(so it seems) issue. At the bottom of the page you will see my pictures of cutting down a machined hat rotor in a lathe that my body shop let me use.

In the paperwork I sent to Rock Auto yesterday with the returned rotors, I sent a detailed description of the problem, and offered to send them pictures. This is a safety problem and liability issue as it compromises the brake system if/when the seal wears through and lets dirt and water in. I'm under the belief that most of these rotors are made in one plant in China and sold under various names.

I'm under the belief that most of these rotors are made in one plant in China and sold under various names.
You’re probably 100% right Bob. Except for maybe r-1 and the powerstop slotted ones. I’d like to see and measure a set of those.

I actually have an ‘inspec’ set of sand cast rotors on my car that were 85% ok. lol. The seals aren’t near most of the hat, except for about 3 lineal inches where the sand mould was crap that portion was thicker than the rest. Kind of like a bulge. I ground it off with a 4 inch angle grinder until they just cleared. I figure as the piston moves out the seal will get pulled away from the hat making the clearance even greater,

-
Back